Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good/bad areas of Cork!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭shnaek

104494431 wrote: »
    In my experience of living in Cork (around 17 years worth in all) I would have to say that St. Lukes was the nicest, though we had a really nice house (called Bawnmore) up beside Dillons Cross. The area was close enough to town and had a nice feel about it, though that could have changed since then as I haven't been up that part of the city in 12 or 13 years.

No - it's still lovely up here! Been livin in St Lukes for years now and it's a great spot - village feel and real close to town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

99% of the city is fine. There are occasional bad houses. I've lived both soutshside and northside and bar a few clowns everything has been fine.
    I agree.

Ireland is statistically one of the safest countries in the world. I would consider Cork to be one of the safest cities in Ireland. For some reason, people get hysterical when they see a few kids in tracksuits.

OP: Get a place in Blackpool, you're next to work, only a stroll from the city. The last thing you want is to be relying on buses, Cork is probably the worst city in Ireland for public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

I agree.

Ireland is statistically one of the safest countries in the world. I would consider Cork to be one of the safest cities in Ireland. For some reason, people get hysterical when they see a few kids in tracksuits.

OP: Get a place in Blackpool, you're next to work, only a stroll from the city. The last thing you want is to be relying on buses, Cork is probably the worst city in Ireland for public transport.

blackpool is a dump!its depressing and the houses are just more depressing,
    if you live there and work there,your more than likely be very depressed.
    no architecture to gawk at,no trees,grass, or anything indicating it is part of the planet :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Hardrain

Passage West. they have a EuroSpar now:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭omerin

I wouldn't live in Mahon because it is even further out than Blackrock is. The furthest from the city centre I mentioned I would live is Ballinlough, which is closer to town than Blackrock and Mahon. I have never used a false address on my CV regardless of where I have lived. I neither mentioned nothing about the people living in those areas nor did I insinuate anything to that effect. I am from Cork county, when you say "we have our percentage of bad eggs" I assume you mean you live in an area populated by humans and that society has such features as good and bad people (by the way you raised the issue of areas being associated with good and bad people, I did not).

Tarnish the reputations of people living in certain areas? the personal reputation of someone is not changed by someone saying they don't like an area of a town or city which that person happens to be from. At no point did I mention any areas of the city being a haven from this "percentage of bad eggs".

As for calling me a tosser? I expressed a preference in areas I wish to live in based on my life experience and based on how suitable I think they are for me. Clearly your the tosser for not only putting words in my mouth but also raising issues that were not being discussed. :rolleyes:

lol

i wasn't referring to you being a tosser :rolleyes: in fact i wasn't referring to your post at all

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

any more childishness and im locking this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Hardrain wrote: »
    Passage West. they have a EuroSpar now:D

yeah, tell me about it, now all the little scumbags of the area have a new place to hang around!
    That kip 'Gala' in the village will soon meet its demise I'd say.
    But yes, the EuroSpar is very handy, especially if you are one of the many people living in Pembroke Wood or Harbour Heights (which are nice areas btw..compared to other areas in Passage!!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

AFC_1903 wrote: »
    All areas have their good and bad points.
    Still though, certain areas cannot be compared with each other. Sure, Blackrock may have its bad points (off-hand I can't think of any - apart from some snooty people living there... I suppose it's near Mahon) but so does Knocknaheeny. Are they anything like each other? Well they do share the same bus route... :p

OP, go for Blackpool. It's been regenerated fantastically and looks superb. Also it's literally minutes' walk from the centre of town. It has a shopping centre, retail park, cinema, large gym. And because it's on the northside, the rent is cheap... but it's not a dodgy area any more. It used to be really grim and industrial but those days are gone. The textile factory is closed and Murphys Brewery has been taken over by Heineken which is a lot cleaner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Blackpool or Ballyvolane OP, I'd personally go for Ballyvolane myself. A good few newish estates up around there have "wanted: professionals for renting " etc signs around. The No.7 and No.12 bus go through Ballyvolane, the 7 doesn't go through Blackpool though. The No.3 and the No. 12 do though.

OP you living with an other half or anyone else to be considered?

If not id suggest Blackpool due to the savings in transport if your already working out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ampjohnny

I cannot believe anyone would actually answer Blackpool when asked wheres a good spot to live in Cork. I worked there for 3 years and we used have to use the panic button 4/5 times a wkend to get the Guards down... there was even an instance where a guy attacked a memeber of staff with a ferret ...... A FERRET!!!!!!

..and to be fair, recommending an area like Spring Lane where you have a large number of Settled Travellers living is hardly good advice to an outsider who doesnt know better.

This aint typical Southie bias, i worked there long enough to recognise the Zoo like nature of the place...

Buddie of mine who runs a bookies up there was bemoaning the fact the Guards keep coming in arresting his customers for outstanding bench warrents etc etc..

Herons Gate are good spec'ed well secured apartments but you havent a hope of getting pets in (unless its a buy to lett LL under serious serious pressure to pay the mortgage). The rest of the place is a dangerous kip full stop. AVOID

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

ampjohnny wrote: »
    I cannot believe anyone would actually answer Blackpool when asked wheres a good spot to live in Cork. I worked there for 3 years and we used have to use the panic button 4/5 times a wkend to get the Guards down... there was even an instance where a guy attacked a memeber of staff with a ferret ...... A FERRET!!!!!!

..and to be fair, recommending an area like Spring Lane where you have a large number of Settled Travellers living is hardly good advice to an outsider who doesnt know better.

This aint typical Southie bias, i worked there long enough to recognise the Zoo like nature of the place...

Buddie of mine who runs a bookies up there was bemoaning the fact the Guards keep coming in arresting his customers for outstanding bench warrents etc etc..

Herons Gate are good spec'ed well secured apartments but you havent a hope of getting pets in (unless its a buy to lett LL under serious serious pressure to pay the mortgage). The rest of the place is a dangerous kip full stop. AVOID

The balckpool area seems rejuvinated to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

It's me, my partner and our housemate (plus the cats of course!)

We've found somewhere in Douglas. It's miles away, and involves 2 buses to work, but we didn't have a whole lot of choice in the end.

The house is amazing tho, and cheaper than where we are now (and twice the size!) Soon as I get my deposit back on the old place, I'll be buying a cheap motor to get to and from work a little faster I think! :D

Thanks for all your replies, the info was really useful in helping us avoid some areas that looked like good bargains, but obviously not so much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Tara45

I like cork, but i prefer thailand.

Go figure !

Thailand...sweet sweet memories..

Next task is to plan a driving route for yourself at peak times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭FunkyMissMonkey

Indeed! I'm actually hoping it won't be too bad to be honest, I do shift work, starting at midday, and ending at 11pm, so in theory, I should miss the busiest times of the day.

In theory. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I live in Douglas and after 12 o'clock at night i wouldn't step foot in the village on my own, especially at the weekend. Dog rough. Good area my hole. Every area has it's good and bad points.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭ampjohnny

Léan wrote: »
    I live in Douglas and after 12 o'clock at night i wouldn't step foot in the village on my own, especially at the weekend. Dog rough. Good area my hole. Every area has it's good and bad points.

I don't want to keep banging this on the head but a few kids in tracksuits down the village centre does not a 'dog rough' area make.... I fondly recall recall showing a property to a client by the overpass in Blackpool centre about two years ago... Firstly she was accosted by a random drunk while i parked my car, for the duration of the viewing a horde of little scum bags ceaselessly flung glass bottles at the gable end of the house (for entertainment I assume) and while we were outside saying our (hurried!!) goodbyes a gaggle of Romanian Gypos swarmed around the corner in a tidal wave of gold teeth and headscares... ..I'm a good salesman but sometimes even i have to just say "show me the sand and the Arabs - it would have to easier than this".. .. She didnt take the place surprisingly enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

ampjohnny wrote: »
    I don't want to keep banging this on the head but a few kids in tracksuits down the village centre does not a 'dog rough' area make.... I fondly recall recall showing a property to a client by the overpass in Blackpool centre about two years ago... Firstly she was accosted by a random drunk while i parked my car, for the duration of the viewing a horde of little scum bags ceaselessly flung glass bottles at the gable end of the house (for entertainment I assume) and while we were outside saying our (hurried!!) goodbyes a gaggle of Romanian Gypos swarmed around the corner in a tidal wave of gold teeth and headscares... ..I'm a good salesman but sometimes even i have to just say "show me the sand and the Arabs - it would have to easier than this".. .. She didnt take the place surprisingly enough

Eh, no, "a few kids in tracksuits down the village centre" that's not what i'm on about. I know enough people that have been stabbed in Douglas village or have had knives brought on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Léan wrote: »
    Eh, no, "a few kids in tracksuits down the village centre" that's not what i'm on about. I know enough people that have been stabbed in Douglas village or have had knives brought on them.

Gerroff my avatar :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I would strongly recommend St. Lukes, Montenotte and Sunday's well. They're fantastic locations that line the south facing hills that overlook the city. Easy access to the city centre, old-world charm and stunning views. Also, because all of the properties are south facing, they are extremely bright.

St Lukes and Montenotte are really nice places to live, however there's very little in the way of rental property in Montenotte itself, it's largely big expensive family homes. However, if you do see anything on daft there are some absolute gems up there converted 18th century buildings etc with views out over the whole city.

It's very much a historic part of the old city and retains its charm.

It's a short walk to town and St. Lukes itself is served by at least two very frequent bus services 7 and 8.

The stretch from St. Lukes to Patrick's hill i.e. Wellington Road is pretty nice too, big old Georgian and Victorian squares behind walls. However, once you go further than Patrick's Hill you enter a not so great area including places like Coberg Street. Then if you continue down the quays and onto the next hills to the west it improves again and becomes very nice and quaint as you get over towards Sundays Well, you start to enter an area which is similar to Montenotte with huge old houses and magnificent views.

There's definitely value to be had in the Western suburbs - Bishopstown and Wilton, but they do lack any sense of character. They're very much 1950s - 1970s and really have that bland suburban vibe.

Douglas is a nice spot, very vibrant night life and excellent facilities. In fact, it's light years ahead of most Dublin suburbs in terms of its facilities, shopping, restaurants and transport links. You quite literally have EVERYTHING on your doorstep.

The area between Douglas and the City Centre is mostly made up of Ballinlough, again this is a very nice part of the city.

Blackrock is also worth considering.

I wouldn't really classify any part of Cork as a no-go area, although obviously there are some tough council estates that you may not want to consider. I'd suggest you take a look at a place, look at the amenities that are available and the distance to your place of work.

Remember, the public transport in Cork is absolutely terrible. I would reckon it has the worst bus service in Western Europe. The busses are new and modern, but they're so infrequent and unreliable it is beyond a joke. So, don't pick somewhere that you can't get a direct bus or walk from. If you think Dublin bus is bad, you ain't seen nothing yet. However, don't blame the locals, they have no control over Bus Éireann which is an over-unionised monopoly, run from Dublin. It hasn't a clue about customer service and really just runs busses, it doesn't actually provide a public transport service.

You will absolutely need to rely on taxis at night to return home as there are no night-time busses or any form of public transit after about 11pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Avoid a certain family firm of landlords based on Maccurtain street.Shower of gangsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

Wilton/Bishopstown are very nice places to live and cheap too. I'm paying unbelievably low rent for the area i'm in...

I love Douglas, its bars, cinema etc, but one cant help notice the massive increase of 14 - 18yr old scobes that flood the town at night.
    I know all areas have them but Douglas seems to be overpopulated by youth vagrancy, especially that Topaz garage. Skanger central.

Cant comment north of the river as i've never lived up there. Usual stereotypes apply i guess. :pac:
    Last Sat at 11.30 pm. there were about 50 of them scattered around Schell petrol station, the Pizza place by the cinema. Some were queuing at Casey, others were near Centra. A fight broke out. They chased one of them & 5 were kicking him. Someone called the Guards. They are all between 13 - 16 all in tracksuits. Douglas is an expensive area but there are alot of scumbags living there. It's getting a reputation for bad behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

wasper wrote: »
    Last Sat at 11.30 pm. there were about 50 of them scattered around Schell petrol station, the Pizza place by the cinema. Some were queuing at Casey, others were near Centra. A fight broke out. They chased one of them & 5 were kicking him. Someone called the Guards. They are all between 13 - 16 all in tracksuits. Douglas is an expensive area but there are alot of scumbags living there. It's getting a reputation for bad behaviour.

I hear grange is meant to be rough enough allright.Is the area around the douglas and south douglas roads the best part of douglas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Ballinlough is a really nice area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 shelly999

its amazing how people living south of the river are so quick to comment about how bad the north side is - cant comment unless you have lived there really. thats just an observation :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

I live in Ballinlough and thought it was okay until my car was stolen and burnt out. (I know that whoever stole my car could have been from anywhere but I am still so uneasy about my new car outside my house in case it happens again)

Bottom line is that there are bad areas where ever you live and it is nearly always just a small handfull that people that give an area a bad name. Especially over the last few years with all the little strippy hoody knackers that you see hanging around. Even Douglas late at night is full of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I live in Ballinlough and thought it was okay until my car was stolen and burnt out. (I know that whoever stole my car could have been from anywhere but I am still so uneasy about my new car outside my house in case it happens again)

Bottom line is that there are bad areas where ever you live and it is nearly always just a small handfull that people that give an area a bad name. Especially over the last few years with all the little strippy hoody knackers that you see hanging around. Even Douglas late at night is full of them.

Are you serious? I live in BLough and that happened to us too! Other than that, I look at BLough as a "retirement village".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Deadly serious. When did it happen you?

Where i am is like a retirement estate as well :D and I never thought anything like that would happen. I wouldn't be surprised if we lived quite close to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Reading all this is a bit mad, Cork in General is fine, Mahon and Hollyhill have a few trouble spots.

Myself and the other half moved to Holland over a year ago and and had similar questions about here.

Needless to say, everyone had their opinion on which was good and bad, but it was more down to where the Turks and Morrocans lived.

We lived in a primarily Turkish area initially and loved the place.

There was the odd person that would call us "English Wan*ers" which was promptly replied with "I'm from f*ckin cark bai... GWAN ... SAY THAT TO MY FACE" ... jaysus I've never seen lads run so fast.

Advertisement