Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Coffe maker

• 07-10-2008 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new coffe maker and just wondering what people think in terms of what would be best to get.

I have had various filter and espresso models before, and currently am quite impressed with the Nespresso machine I have at work. Would prefer something different for at home. I quite like the Gaggia classic but not sure if thats still available. Are there newer or better models?

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

buddy97 wrote: »

currently am quite impressed with the Nespresso machine I have at work.

Well it's just as well you asked here before wasting your money :). Nespresso machine is a big no-no. Pods will cost you a fortune and you may as well buy super expensive beans if cost is no option. a Nespresso machine will give you a consistent cup, but it will be consistently bad.

I have a Classic and it's one of the better entry level machines, especially once it has been tweaked a little (or a lot). I also have a La Pavoni grinder that cost almost as much as the Classic, but worth it for a proper espresso grind.

Get a half decent espresso machine, a good grinder (V. important!), a source of freshly roasted beans and a good tamper and practice, practice, practice. And read up - there are plenty of espresso nuts on the web!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What's your alocated budget? The classic is a great machine, if you've more money allocated there are more options though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

As others have said, the Classic is a very good entry level machine. IMO despite the newer Gaggia Baby models, the Classic is still the flagship home Gaggia (with the exception maybe of the level Gaggia Achille).

A friend of mine up North (thanks Conor), has told me that House of Fraser are selling the Classic currently for £199, which is a very good price. Don't know if they are doing as good a deal down here.

Bear in mind also that you do need to buy an espresso grinder as stimpson said. This will add at least €150 to the budget, and again prices can go up from there.

If you're impressed with the Nespresso machine, the quality achievable with a properly tuned Classic is far far higher. But there is a learning curve, and an investment of time is required to get to know not only how to get the best out of the machine, but you also need to get an understanding of the fundamentals of true espresso.

If that doesn't sound too daunting, there are plenty of people here happy to help.

If your budget is flexible there are other options to discuss as Mr Magnolia said.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    A friend of mine up North (thanks Conor), has told me that House of Fraser are selling the Classic currently for £199, which is a very good price. Don't know if they are doing as good a deal down here.

~ €250 - that's an extremly good price.

:eek: That's just over half what I paid for mine a couple of years ago - and mine was on sale in Arnotts.

Do you know if it was the Stainless Steel one?? (Aesthetics is everything!)

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Gaggia+Classic+stainless+steel+coffee+machine+with+pack/114434911,default,pd.html

OK, now I want to cry.

Nevertheless - go and buy it. Spend the money you save on a good grinder. Look smug.

Umm. and they have this too:

http://www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Gaggia+MM74518+black+grinder/630539182,default,pd.html

Not sure how good it is going to be at that price, but it is a gaggia - worth doing some research at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

That is a bloody great price from HoF, beats even Gaggia's reconditioned
    prices. Well worth the drive up north if Dundrum don't stock it - call them
    and see if they do or can get it into the Dublin store.

Forget the Gaggia MM, get the Gaggia MDF or the Iberital MC2

As for the Nespresso - do yourself a favour and forget it exists ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

got this lot for less than €500. (picture attached)

gaggia evolution, mdf grinder (both from an Italian website, can't remember right off the name) and tray / knock box drawer (arnotts?).

i'm no expert but i've had this setup for over a year and it still turns out really good espresso / cappucino.

of course, good fresh beans are important.

MDF is unavailable at the moment. I tried to get one recently.

got this lot for less than €500. (picture attached)

gaggia evolution, mdf grinder (both from an Italian website, can't remember right off the name) and tray / knock box drawer (arnotts?).

i'm no expert but i've had this setup for over a year and it still turns out really good espresso / cappucino.

of course, good fresh beans are important.

I can still spy that plastic tamper hiding in the salad bowl, you should go and treat yourself :-D

Plenty of options out there besides the MDF. But I wholeheartedly agree with Gran Hermano the Gaggia MM is a piece of shít.

• Advertisement

I can still spy that plastic tamper hiding in the salad bowl, you should go and treat yourself :-D

tell me more.

what should i get and why? thanks.

tell me more.

what should i get and why? thanks.

It's all but impossible to achieve a consistent, even and plumb tamp with that plastic effort that gaggia supply. An evenly, distributed dose with a level even tamp means that the chances of 'channelling' are greatly reduced.

Channelling - if the tamped coffee is uneven then the water will channel through the area of least resistance. This results in over-extraction and a bitter foul tasting espresso. A good, even distribution and a proper tamp will aid to avoid this.

Gaggia have a few reasons why they don't include a good tamper, it all boils down to cost though. Check out what size you need (58/59mm) and take a look online (sticky on the front page) and in the shops.

Oh, and a Gaggia requires a 58mm tamper.

ebay is worth a look

thanks to both of you. i will go get sorted, so.

achieving espresso consistency is a challenge, though mostly they turn out pretty good. this can only help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

But if your only going to have maybe 2 or 3 coffees a week what would you all recommend? I love coffee but don't wanna have a load of beans/grinds going stale... Is the illy pod system any god or else the e.s.e.? where you can get a wider selection?

Was in a shop and saw a spanish make (Ascaso) which seemed pretty good and it could take normal grind plus e.s.e. caps?

So any thoughts on my situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

OP: Are you an espresso drinker? I actually use my 40 euro pour over more than my gaggia classic tbh.

You can get vacuum storage jars that will keep your beans fresh longer.

Properly stored beans will keep well like this. Ground coffee goes off much quicker due to increased surface area, so only grind just before a brew and you'll be fine.

There are many reasons not to recommend any of the pod systems.

An Aeropress might be a better buy if you haven't built up a habit. Don;t have one, but have seen them recommended.

As above, what type of coffee do you drink?

Khannie wrote: »
    OP: Are you an espresso drinker? I actually use my 40 euro pour over more than my gaggia classic tbh.

Have you ever tried an aeropress yet Khannie? Would you give it a go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

http://www.ascaso.com/cafe/2005/eng_cafe05/basic.html

^
    I was looking at this one. Its about 200 if I recall correctly.

I want a machine that can make espresso and capuchino, but won;t be used too often.

Probably weekend mornings and maybe after the odd dinner.

Can't take up too much space (tiny kitchen) or be too expensive. So thoughts?

• Advertisement

Have you ever tried an aeropress yet Khannie? Would you give it a go?

I haven't but I would. I'd give anything a go. Except maybe that cat poo coffee.

enda1 wrote: »
    http://www.ascaso.com/cafe/2005/eng_cafe05/basic.html

^
    I was looking at this one. Its about 200 if I recall correctly.

I want a machine that can make espresso and capuchino, but won;t be used too often.

Probably weekend mornings and maybe after the odd dinner.

Can't take up too much space (tiny kitchen) or be too expensive. So thoughts?

Well you're not going to get a gaggia and a grinder for that sort of money unfortunately, you would need to double it. The thing about that machine is it leaves no room for improvement if you really get into your coffee.

If you're not going to be able to fit a grinder and an espresso machine on the counter top then you have a problem. If you can source fresh beans regularly you could start off by picking up a grinder (mentioned above), a moka pot and a frother/steamer for your milk.

Khannie wrote: »
    I haven't but I would. I'd give anything a go. Except maybe that cat poo coffee.

You can take mine for a while to try it out if you wish. I'll be passing your way next week so just let me know, t'would be no probs :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

2 pages of penis waggling and the OP has only 1 post . . .

*waggle* *waggle*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

House of Fraser have the Classic on their website and state they deliver to Ireland. It's at the price Reactor mentioned so even with delivery it's
    a bargain.

(I'm off to waggle my way to the espresso machine for my morning cuppa. )

You can take mine for a while to try it out if you wish. I'll be passing your way next week so just let me know, t'would be no probs :)

If you're out this way then by all means. If not, then don't worry. I'm training a lot at the moment though and home late as a result, so I'd say make sure there'll be someone in the house.

Advertisement