Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good pub grub in greystones

Options
  • 07-10-2008 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭

where is the best pub grub in greystones?? looking for somewhere decent for weekday lunch and maybe for watching the footie and a bite to eat at weekends??? :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Woodlands lodge... If you have a search down through this forum, im sure this question has been raised before...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 and76

Defo woodlands, great food and excellent service, would avoid the burnaby, lovely food but awful service!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

+1 for last 2 posts.

Try the steak out for size.

You wont leave hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

and76 wrote: »
    Defo woodlands, great food and excellent service, would avoid the burnaby, lovely food but awful service!

just to back up that view on the Burnaby. Last time I visited there with my wife and baby in the buggy. If was a horendous day, lashing rain etc. Anyway, we went into the burnaby for lunchtime midweek. Half the pub ( the back half ) was empty, there wasn't a table to be had in the other side. We took a few mins to get dried off, get the baby out of the buggy, I went to order the food from a menu that was on the table to be told "we dont serve food to that side of the lounge". It must be a real killer to walk a few extra steps with a tray of food. Went to Bocellis where they dont seem to mind which table their customers sit at.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

"we dont serve food to that side of the lounge".

That always cracks me up.

I wonder, though, is there some licensing/legal thing about separating the food service area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 and76

That happened us too, I wont go there anymore ignorant altogether I'd rather spend my money elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I was down at the Beach House last week for a match and some food on Wednesday. They could probably up the standard of food. Not bad but could have been better. Nice pub though.
    I can't handle the attitude in the Burnaby either. I've experienced nothing but rudeness every time I've been.
    I have a kiwi friend who is a tiler, his lift from the DART was late so he decided to go in there for a pint since it was raining. They wouldn't serve him because of the way he was dressed. Now he was in work clothes but they're not that bad. Just a bad attitude in that place.

Mullie wrote: »
    I was down at the Beach House last week for a match and some food on Wednesday. They could probably up the standard of food. Not bad but could have been better. Nice pub though.

Agreed!

Met the gf there for lunch a few weeks ago and the food wasnt great at all.

Would go back but only for the drink. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭touchwood

cheers for the info, might try the woodlands during next week and the beach house, thik i'll steer clear of burnaby, only hearing bad things about the place, shame cos its location is bang in the middle of everything.

touchwood wrote: »
    shame cos its location is bang in the middle of everything.

Thats why they are so cocky.

They think they will always have customers because of the convenience of their location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Defo Woodlands. Eaten there 4 times now and its good. They are very friendly aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 cgunners

Just to backup the other posts on here praising Woodlands Lodge. Went there for lunch yesterday afternoon and the food was great and well priced. Very friendly atmosphere too.

We'll definitely be going back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭The Yipper

Spot on there about the Burnaby......serious problems there!!
    I think the reason they only serve food in one half of the lounge is because, eh!...well because the eh!...well, its just stupid really.

Food in Woodlands is TREMENDOUS!

And Im not one to bitch....but as for "the other boozer". I was there a short while ago with three friends and we had to return three of our four meals, coz they were destroyed. (Burnt to a crisp). One of the steaks actually looked like it had been cooking since Christmas
    We also sat there for (and I timed it)... 10 minutes waiting for cutlery.
    The restaurant upstairs is pretty good, though - friendly staff and good sized tasty portions.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

cgunners wrote: »
    Just to backup the other posts on here praising Woodlands Lodge. Went there for lunch yesterday afternoon and the food was great and well priced.

Can you define well-priced? Looking at their bar menu on menupages.ie, it looks like they do several sandwiches, but none for less than 13 euro. Call me a cheapskate, but I just don't understand how a sandwich costs that much.

Any suggestions for a weekday lunch in or near Greystones for under a tenner?

(I do go to Bocceli's, Happy Pear and Nosh n Coffee, but looking to branch out a little.)

Was told that the beach house and the burnaby was owned by the same guy...? not sure...
    The staff in the burnaby wanna get their head out of their own behinds...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Run DMC

Yes the same family own both pubs along with what used to be The Wicklow Arms (Mack Bros.) in Delgany. They took it over 10 years ago and ruined it. It used to be the place to eat at weekends, with people waiting over an hour for a table on Saturday nights. It was never a place to drink though. I refuse to give the Burnaby my business coz the management are so ignorant. Unfortunately it has rubbed off onto some of the staff aswell. I give my business to the Woodlands, but unfortunately they have relaxed their entry policy to get in more business. Its now a busier place but it also has its fair share of scangers. Still go there though coz at least they are welcoming and genuinely happy to have your business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

I hope that's not the case with Woodlands. He has run a great show to date.
    Amazes me about that other dump. it's not just me. That particular fish stinks from the head. Hope it goes the way the Arms did for them. A genuinely nice person could really make the burnaby a huge success. some people are better suited to undertaking and corrective services rather than hospitality and catering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 tonyd123

Run DMC wrote: »
    Yes the same family own both pubs along with what used to be The Wicklow Arms (Mack Bros.) in Delgany. They took it over 10 years ago and ruined it. It used to be the place to eat at weekends, with people waiting over an hour for a table on Saturday nights. It was never a place to drink though. I refuse to give the Burnaby my business coz the management are so ignorant. Unfortunately it has rubbed off onto some of the staff aswell. I give my business to the Woodlands, but unfortunately they have relaxed their entry policy to get in more business. Its now a busier place but it also has its fair share of scangers. Still go there though coz at least they are welcoming and genuinely happy to have your business.

Sorry but can't let that one go, we may have relaxed the age policy but we still do not have, as you call them "scangers". If you think I'm wrong please point them out to me anytime your here, I am here day and night just ask for me, Anthony.

Didn't think so. And age policy relax is fine by me. Not all young people are a problem. In fact I'd nearly go so far to say that some of the ones in their teens are better mannered and behaved than the twenty somethings who made a few quid during the boom.
    Yep it's still a good establishment. Food and staff are excellent. I wish it every success.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Ate in the Woodlands last night with the family for the first time since the new owners took over - would have been perfect only for the taste off the chips, I could taste the oil that they were cooked in and it was'nt pleasant (even the kids wouldnt eat them).

I had the Sirloin and it was cooked perfectly and the presentation was probably the best I've seen in a pub. Considering you can get gorgeous chunky rosemary chips in Gourmet Burger in Dun Laoghaire for the same price-it shouldnt be that difficult to get a basic like chips right.

• Advertisement

Chips there are usually fine. If you had told him, he would have addressed it. But IMHO a chef/cook knows what he is ending out and what you describe was unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Decided to check out the Woodlands a couple of months ago. Got as far as the front door where I saw a large sign saying that the management reserved the right to search me on entry. What kind of place is that? Needless to say I turned around and went elsewhere.
    Must agree with above views on the Burnaby. Is there another village in all Ireland (of this size) with so few pubs? I doubt it.

loobylou wrote: »
    Decided to check out the Woodlands a couple of months ago. Got as far as the front door where I saw a large sign saying that the management reserved the right to search me on entry. What kind of place is that? Needless to say I turned around and went elsewhere.
    Must agree with above views on the Burnaby. Is there another village in all Ireland (of this size) with so few pubs? I doubt it.

'Scuse me sir can i check your pockets for bread rolls and butter. :D

Doesnt it turn into a club after 11 on weekends?

I have to agree, im very disappointed with the pubs round here. Theres towns in the west where there's 2 houses, 3 goats, 2 sheep and 52 pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Arent 90% of them owned by the same guy anyway now?! :rolleyes:

Tony123, I'm not saying the place is bad but you would have to admit that there has been an increase in trouble there over the last few months. I'm not imaging it when I saw punches and a bottle being thrown a month ago. I still go there but you've got to be careful after what happened to the previous incarnation. I genuinely want the place to do well coz we need a decent pub.

Anyone looking for lunch during the week should go for the Roast of the day Sandwich. Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Run DMC wrote: »
    Tony123, I'm not saying the place is bad but you would have to admit that there has been an increase in trouble there over the last few months. I'm not imaging it when I saw punches and a bottle being thrown a month ago. I still go there but you've got to be careful after what happened to the previous incarnation. I genuinely want the place to do well coz we need a decent pub.

Anyone looking for lunch during the week should go for the Roast of the day Sandwich. Magic.

ok so im confused we talking about the Arms now or the Woodlands?! :o:confused:

Bit slow tonight!

I'm talking about The Woodlands. And just to clarify my earlier comments, I wasn't referring to "young people" when I said the Woodlands had relaxed their entry policy. Young people don't cause any more or less trouble than 20 or 30 year olds in pubs. I know I'll get grief for saying it but its the type of person that causes aggro not the age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

We've eaten down the Woodlands a couple of times lately and the food is savage. Good friendly service, tasty grub and pretty good value. I'd recommend it to anyone. Ordered food watching the Rugby last Saturday in anothar local establishement near the harbour and it was rank. Nothing short of disgraceful. How hard is it to make a decent panini ?? The service was crap, I never even got my chips after asking twice. I went in a couple of weeks before on a Sunday, took one look at the shrivelled up beef on the hot plate and walked out. Had a beautiful bit of grub in Charlesland instead. They deserve the business and I hope they do well.

Swanner wrote: »
    We've eaten down the Woodlands a couple of times lately and the food is savage. Good friendly service, tasty grub and pretty good value. I'd recommend it to anyone. Ordered food watching the Rugby last Saturday in anothar local establishement near the harbour and it was rank. Nothing short of disgraceful. How hard is it to make a decent panini ?? The service was crap, I never even got my chips after asking twice. I went in a couple of weeks before on a Sunday, took one look at the shrivelled up beef on the hot plate and walked out. Had a beautiful bit of grub in Charlesland instead. They deserve the business and I hope they do well.

Now... Its all about word of mouth... I'll be dining in the woodland on sunday ready for the christmas lights big switch on... hope the footie is on Tony123...???

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote: »

We moved down the Woodlands last week cos England wasnt on in the the Beach, just Man U on 15 tv's (i know i know, i was joking!) anyway, it was a pleasure as per. Food, service & comfort, top notch.

Advertisement