Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cyber Sunday Thread! (may contain **Spoilers**)

• 07-10-2008 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

Alright, Cyber sunday is on October 26th.

Heres the card;

So far..

World heavyweight match.
    Chris Jericho Vs Batista

Special Ref.

Stone cold,
    Randy Orton,
    Shawn Michaels

Intercontinental Championship Match
    Santino Marella Vs ??

Roddy Pipper,
    Goldust,
    Honky Tonk man.

Few things i noticed:

How crap does that promo pic/poster look? All the kids look dead, and CM Punk looks too happy or something..

How obvious is it that people are going to vote the Honk for the IC belt? :rolleyes:

But in saying that, dont these things always go that way?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

They'll vote Piper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

rovert wrote: »
    They'll vote Piper

Not likely.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

you have to vote via mobile phone this year which costs $0.99

Not likely.

Yes it is until you post a reason otherwise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd say Piper will get the vote as well; the general public don't give a damn about Honky and you've got to believe that this will be, as it is most year, primarily influenced by the casual fans who will never have heard of Honky pre-Santino. Piper, on the other hand, is presented as the loveable man of the people every chance they get.

The HBK/Stone Cold choice will be interesting though. I'd imagine Stone Cold will get that, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a shock win for HBK.

• Advertisement

3 words to why i think they will vote the Tonk..
    Honk-O-Meter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This PPV looks like yet another miss.Batista vs. Y2J yawn.HBK not even wrestling and with the big possibility of him not having any role.
    The only way this PPV will be any good is if HHH loses the belt.Santino is on the show at least I suppose.

I'd say Piper will get the vote as well; the general public don't give a damn about Honky and you've got to believe that this will be, as it is most year, primarily influenced by the casual fans who will never have heard of Honky pre-Santino. Piper, on the other hand, is presented as the loveable man of the people every chance they get..

In 2006 WWE tried to gear the fans to vote Dusty Rhodes as Flair's tag partner with zero hype for Piper. Piper won by a healthy margin.
    The HBK/Stone Cold choice will be interesting though. I'd imagine Stone Cold will get that, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a shock win for HBK.

It'll be interesting as fans voted HBK to win the vote in 2004, 2005 & 2007. If there is anyone that fans vote on mass for it is him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

3 words to why i think they will vote the Tonk..
    Honk-O-Meter

In 2008 Honky means **** all.He got a smaller pop then Goldust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I hope it's Haas who comes out as Santino's opponent. They need to hold off on Honky until Wrestlemania, or a year's time

• Advertisement

Fozzy wrote: »
    I hope it's Haas who comes out as Santino's opponent. They need to hold off on Honky until Wrestlemania, or a year's time

Haas did dress as Roddy Piper in the dark match at Raw. Which may be a clue how this plays out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Apparently Honky got no pop at all. Personally I'd like to see a return of Goldust if only to see Glamarilla's reaction to the Shattered Dreams.

Agree that Honky needs to be held off. The fact they put him there seems to me to suggest that they aren't going to let the Honk-o-meter run for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How crap does that promo pic/poster look? All the kids look dead, and CM Punk looks too happy or something..

Sorry for the off topic post..But why do people always make such a fuss about promo pics etc...Who gives a shít like

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Good point - Santino v Honky at Mania would be good fun. Plus Santino would be around the half way mark to beating the record if he is still champ on the world!:pac:

As for the Cyber Sunday vote - WWE could make the results whatever they want them to be!

callaway92 wrote: »
    Sorry for the off topic post..But why do people always make such a fuss about promo pics etc...Who gives a shít like

It means **** all to me - the only one I like to see a good promo for is Mania!

brolly wrote: »
    As for the Cyber Sunday vote - WWE could make the results whatever they want them to be!

Depends what you mean.

Depends what you mean.

Yeah, they try to influence the voting by the stuff they do on TV. But a few times that didn't work and they still went with what the fans voted for rather than what they'd been pushing

Well i never usually let it bother me, but this poster struck me.

Depends what you mean.

I mean that if they want Stone Cold as ref, they could make the vote turn in his favour! There will be a supervisory group overseeing the vote I'm sure for Cyber Sunday, but what WWE wants, WWE gets!;)

Yeah, they try to influence the voting by the stuff they do on TV. But a few times that didn't work and they still went with what the fans voted for rather than what they'd been pushing

Eg when they wanted John Morrison to face CM Punk last year and if not Morrison, BDV...The person they least wanted was Mike the Miz,and it was him

• Advertisement

Eg when they wanted John Morrison to face CM Punk last year and if not Morrison, BDV...The person they least wanted was Mike the Miz,and it was him

The two clearest examples are the one that rovert already mentioned, when they pushed Dusty and made no mention of Piper, yet Piper still won, and some other one that involved Shawn Michaels I think. I'll go check what it was

The two clearest examples are the one that rovert already mentioned, when they pushed Dusty and made no mention of Piper, yet Piper still won, and some other one that involved Shawn Michaels I think. I'll go check what it was

Jeff Hardy was pushed over HBK last year as a choice for title challenger. In 2005 fans HBK eventhough HBK pretty much said please dont vote for me Ive only one good leg.
    I mean that if they want Stone Cold as ref, they could make the vote turn in his favour! There will be a supervisory group overseeing the vote I'm sure for Cyber Sunday, but what WWE wants, WWE gets!;)

The text poll changes things legally tho.

The text poll changes things legally tho.

Oh I realise that alright, but its the same situation with the likes of the X Factor etc over here and I know for a fact that theres vote fixing involved in them. I am not saying the WWE would, just that they could!

Oh I realise that alright, but its the same situation with the likes of the X Factor etc over here and I know for a fact that theres vote fixing involved in them. I am not saying the WWE would, just that they could!

Absolutely but they are also a publicly traded company. But I remember Bischoff being voted as guest referee in 2006 when he is book was coming out as being fishy.

Absolutely but they are also a publicly traded company. But I remember Bischoff being voted as guest referee in 2006 when he is book was coming out as being fishy.

True - that was a "coincidence"! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Does anyone really believe the voting affects the matches?

krudler wrote: »
    Does anyone really believe the voting affects the matches?

Heres a qustion I would like answered..Has a title ever changes hands at Taboo Tuesday or this...
    My thought on your question Krudler would be..No matter who is voted the champion retains...Or no matter who is voted, the Challenger wins..

Heres a qustion I would like answered..Has a title ever changes hands at Taboo Tuesday or this...
    My thought on your question Krudler would be..No matter who is voted the champion retains...Or no matter who is voted, the Challenger wins..

Jericho lost the IC title to Shelton Benjamin. I remember Lance Storm saying that Jericho told him that he had no idea who his opponent would be and he also didn't know that he'd be losing the title until the ref told him

Jericho lost the IC title to Shelton Benjamin. I remember Lance Storm saying that Jericho told him that he had no idea who his opponent would be and he also didn't know that he'd be losing the title until the ref told him

But the writers must choose a while before who is chosen, what will happen..Id doubt they wait until someone is chosen

• Advertisement

But the writers must choose a while before who is chosen, what will happen..Id doubt they wait until someone is chosen

Huh?

The Wrestlers dont know the result until it is revealed on air.

Hih?

But they surely know the result of the match beofre who wins the vote is aired,,

could be they have three scenarios to work with?

we all know from the draft that some things can be left to surprise?

But they surely know the result of the match beofre who wins the vote is aired,,

At Cyber Sunday 2006 Chris Benoit did even know whether Umaga was allowed to leave his feet and asked the same during the line up.

The match quality is usually lower too in comparsion to most PPV.
    could be they have three scenarios to work with?

They have gotten better but still they seem to get caught on the hop on occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

They have gotten better but still they seem to get caught on the hop on occasion.

I would have loved to see what they would have done had Coach and Batista gotten the debate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Well i never usually let it bother me, but this poster struck me.

It's a nod to V for Vendetta, if anything.
    Better than some of the posters they've used this year anyway.

• Advertisement

How crap does that promo pic/poster look? All the kids look dead, and CM Punk looks too happy or something.

Now this a poster:
    ufc91.jpg

Now this a poster:
    ufc91.jpg

That's actually pretty plain for a UFC promo poster.
    Either you were being sarcastic, or i'm missing something!

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    That's actually pretty plain

Novel concept for Wrestling

Novel concept for Wrestling

So true. Maybe some day, Vince will get a bump on the noggin and say
    "I've an idea, let's go back to three cameras, strip the pyro, the big stage setups and see if stars can sell shows by their ability alone like they did in 1987!"

Of course, hell will have to freeze over by the time that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Vince already got a bump on the noggin and hasnt been seen since :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i want austin as ref-basically just to bring back the rattlesnake, and i really want golddust back, would be fun to see if they get a reaction from cody....that would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I don't think they rig the vote at all and have always gone with the public vote even when it went against their plans.

This will be especially true if you have to pay to cast a vote.

Is there no online voting at all this year?

Is there no online voting at all this year?

Nope, WWE already thinks the show is going to tank (and with the UFC PPV the same weekend I dont blame them) so they are trying to make money in other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Nope, WWE already thinks the show is going to tank (and with the UFC PPV the same weekend I dont blame them) so they are trying to make money in other ways.

Ah. Was wondering why it was now text only.

Dave Meltzer wrote in the Wrestling Observer in today's Observer none of the wrestlers know the result although some may get an indication in certain cases.

Huh?

I find that pretty hard to believe tbh, even if they dont know surely they have some sort of plan for the 3 options they'll have

I find that pretty hard to believe tbh, even if they dont know surely they have some sort of plan for the 3 options they'll have

Please read the rest of the thread.

Please read the rest of the thread.

I did, but since dave meltzer said it it must be true then, less of the condescending as well you only make yourself look like a bigger prat when you try to talk down to people

I did, but since dave meltzer said it it must be true then, less of the condescending as well you only make yourself look like a bigger prat when you try to talk down to people

How was I being condescending here?

You asked a question which has already been answered. Meltzer wasnt my or the only source of information on how the Cyber Sunday works if you read the thread properly you would have seen this.

a better question would be why is it even called Cyber Sunday since theres no cyber voting? SMS Sunday or Text In Tuesday would be more apt :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement