Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT query about looking for work...

Options
  • 07-10-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi to cut a long story short, working away with 4 years level II support experience, on the cusp of level III, plenty of exposure to some level III, but not enough to contract with, last 3 years, was junior admin, desktop support,building servers, backups etc part of IT soln teams, all financial based institutions....Finished up a contract to go travelling for 4 months, back for past 5 weeks now, have had 4 interviews since coming back, waiting on one interview at moment, 2 of the other 4 no one was selected, other i didnt get, (so i was told anyhow), (i think i could start a whole new thread on what i think of recruitment "consultants" very disappointed at having to deal with them again!)...The contract scene is very quiet, have a very good recruitment agent (i know they exist!!) , who has sorted me out before, and very quiet...I'm studying for CCNA while I wait for work..Applying to every job (within reason) going...Anyone have any advice, I wouldnt say i do just desktop, have always been aware of doing more value work, (have MCSA etc, know its no comparison to more professional certs)

Thanks for bearing with the long thread,starting to get desperate...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Tailer the cv to each application and highlight what you know - eg if they're looking for somebody with eg Ghost experience and you know Ghost put that down as one of your skills. We hired somebody recently - the people we 'rejected' either didn't have enough experience or had every cert under the sun on their cv but when it came down to a simple tech test did crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

tk123 wrote: »
    Tailer the cv to each application and highlight what you know - eg if they're looking for somebody with eg Ghost experience and you know Ghost put that down as one of your skills. We hired somebody recently - the people we 'rejected' either didn't have enough experience or had every cert under the sun on their cv but when it came down to a simple tech test did crap.

Thanks for advice very true about tailoring it for each role, just finding there is very little out there at the moment....Dealing with recruitment agents is driving me to distraction TBH...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

For what its worth i would take hands on experience over a cert any day, but getting certs is important as a contractor, without them u have no chance, the best people i have worked with\under all had very small amount of IT certs...

Advertisement