Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have RDF served overseas yet?

• 07-10-2008 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭

as the title says does anyone know if the rdf have served overseas at all on any missions? I'm ex PDF and have served in the UN ( a long time ago) and was considering joning the rdf with a view to going overseas at some stage.... thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

No, they haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Poccington wrote: »
    No, they haven't.

You sure?

The guy at the stand in DCU today(whatever the hell they were doing at our clubs and socs day but sin ceist eile) said that one of the guy's in the group was serving abroad soon anyway....

Cliste wrote: »
    You sure?

The guy at the stand in DCU today(whatever the hell they were doing at our clubs and socs day but sin ceist eile) said that one of the guy's in the group was serving abroad soon anyway....

Yep, I'm sure.

People will tell you a lot of things when they're Recruiting, some of them may not be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 67AQUALUNG

It is possible to go abroad but you have to have a trade,be a qualified doctor,be a qualified army driver etc and also be of a certain rank.
    its a new thing just coming into rdf.

67AQUALUNG wrote: »
    It is possible to go abroad but you have to have a trade,be a qualified doctor,be a qualified army driver etc and also be of a certain rank.

You're not guaranteed to go Overseas with any of those things.

All that's in the Reserve at the moment is personnel can fill out a Declaration of Interest for Overseas Service.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

67AQUALUNG wrote: »

No you can't stop listening to ball hop's and repeating them.

Cliste wrote: »
    You sure?

Probably one of the PDF cadre attached to his unit is travelling soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 67AQUALUNG

Actually that is what a PDF sgt told us last week and it was directed towards RDF personnel. I am just sayin what i heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Mairt wrote: »
    Probably one of the PDF cadre attached to his unit is travelling soon.

Or possibly an RDF lad taking part in a some sort of competition with the RDF, I know a few that have done that but they didn't claim to have "Served" overseas.

RDF have been overseas with the PDF, but only for certain exercises and competitions!

Or possibly an RDF lad taking part in a some sort of competition with the RDF, I know a few that have done that but they didn't claim to have "Served" overseas.

Sorta like diving at Bere Island :p

• Advertisement

Mairt wrote: »
    Sorta like diving at Bere Island :p

Considering some of the locals opinion of RDFers on Bere we should be getting hazardous duty pay!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 enda50

http://www.rdfra.ie/news.shtml#10

Reservist on Overseas Training Exercise
    Last May, Reservist Lt. Sean Murphy, HQ 1 S. Bde RDF, took part in a Training Exercise on the Irish CIS team for Combined Endeavour, an international NATO/PFP comms exercise in Baumholder, Germany. Click here to read to the full article.

That was a lad going over on a training exercise.

If Reservists think that qualifies as an Overseas mission they're off their head.

That was a lad going over on a training exercise.

If Reservists think that qualifies as an Overseas mission they're off their head.

Most don't know about it. Of those that do, Some consider it just an exercise and some consider it a major win for Overseas Service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

It quite clearly says it was a training exercise. I don't think anyone is claiming it was service on an overseas mission.

concussion wrote: »
    It quite clearly says it was a training exercise. I don't think anyone is claiming it was service on an overseas mission.

Then why was it posted in the thread?

The man asked if any RDF personnel have served on Overseas missions.... Then someone posts about the Ex. that the Reservist lad went on. Something which holds no relevance in this thread.

Most don't know about it. Of those that do, Some consider it just an exercise and some consider it a major win for Overseas Service.

I fail to see how it could be considered as anything except an exercise.

+1.

I don't mean to pi$$ on the reservers chips, but it really means nothing.

As do I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

thanks for the info lads... I kind of thought that was the case and that the rdf were not serving overseas yet. I suppose it would be asking too much for the irish to be more like the brits in this respect. I'm out of the army a good few years now but reckon I will go back in to the rdf and see how things go anyway. thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement