Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

data recovery issues

• 07-10-2008 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I had a minor calamity yesterday involving a non-empty can of Coke and a laptop. The laptop now will not start the operating system. I don't know what its exact issue; the one and only diagnostic that I can run from boot tells me that I have a 02-7 FAIL problem. At least, I think that's what it's saying. WHat sort of a problem that is, I have no idea but I have a nasty feeling that it is hard drive related.

I have a new laptop (just don't ask, I really did not need this hassle), and my next interest is to see if I can at least access the data area of the hard drive.

Both laptops have Vista installed but obviously I can't actually use Vista on the currently dead machine. I just use laptops as tools for various other things; I know it might not be cool to admit it but my knowledge of how it all hangs together is inadequate to my needs right now (my expertise lies elsewhere in matters technological).

Is it possible to access the data on the hard drive on the failed laptop from the other laptop at all? If I have to get a cable, well and good, fine, or a LAN cable (I have a few of them lying around the place). I'm also going to check if I can boot from the recovery disk but as that's a partition rather than a separate actual disk I frankly have no optimism that this will work. Basically i guess I am asking if I can access the data on laptop A from laptop B before going through data recovery procedures given that laptop A is sick and not loading its OS.

Thanks a million in advance if anyone can help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

update: after a serious number of attempts, the laptop has started in safe mode. It is currently backing up the user folder to an external hard drive.

panic over, for now, at least.

Advertisement