Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kiwi's in Galway? Any?

Options
  • 07-10-2008 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

A slightly homesick Kiwi girl (well - in my 30's so not really a girl) living in Galway, just keen to know if there are any other Kiwi's around here interested in saying hi - online or in person. I've been here 4 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

My flatmate is one but he's in the states with work ...back in 2 weeks ...don't go anywhere :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Cmol

I'm one, but I'm in Dublin - if your ever around flick me a pm!

Edit: Meant to say, Im trying to organise a weekend in galway before xmas too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Suza

I am also in my 30's and have just moved to Galway with my Irish husband, I am from South Cant. Also finding myself quite homesick although it's early days yet! There doesn't seem to be many kiwi's around here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SMCG

I sent you a PM there - but I'm still here :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭esharknz

I'm a kiwi in Wicklow. The very strange thing here is my next door neighbour is from Auckland. Not sure if there are any expat pubs in Galway, but there most certainly are in Cork and Dublin. You'll meet people there.

• Advertisement

Thanks Esharknz, hopefully there is an expat put in Galway, I will try to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

There is a New Zealand Ireland Association, not sure if they are mainly based in Dublin though http://www.newzealand.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Suza wrote: »
    Thanks Esharknz, hopefully there is an expat put in Galway, I will try to find out.

Just saw this thread now ... I'm 40, from Wellington, been here (Galway) about 18 months, now with a Scotsman who I met here.

There are a few kiwis around: I've met a physio and hairdresser, and have heard rumours of others working in NUIG.

No Kiwi pubs, but:

The Skeff is a kind of unofficial Australian embassy: loud and full of Aussies, not my favourite place to be at all.

The Salthouse on Ravens Terrace (by the canal, down from Monroes) has a sign outside promising Aussie and Kiwi food and beer for ANZAC day. I don't expect any NZ beer though :(

The Cottage Bar, Lower Salthill, also has Aussie beer. Nice spot.

Have been to the Skeff - mainly to watch rugby. The Salthouse is a nice wee pub and I'm sure they serve Mac's? Would b nice to go somewhere for Anzac day.
    I've met the hairdresser, not the physio, there is a pharmacist at UCHG that's a kiwi also, and an artist. But that's all I've known of in 4 years.
    Anyone planning on going anywhere themselves for Anzac Day?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

The Beirhaus has bottles of Mac's if your interested! Miss Monteiths myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I'm also a Kiwi, but in Dublin. Sign up to the NZ Ireland Association email list, most of the stuff is in Dublin but they do also list Kiwi related events throughout Ireland.

SMCG wrote: »
    Have been to the Skeff - mainly to watch rugby. The Salthouse is a nice wee pub and I'm sure they serve Mac's? Would b nice to go somewhere for Anzac day.
    I've met the hairdresser, not the physio, there is a pharmacist at UCHG that's a kiwi also, and an artist. But that's all I've known of in 4 years.
    Anyone planning on going anywhere themselves for Anzac Day?

Saw a few posters around today from the Salthouse: they claim to be doing a special ANZAC commemoration "party" from 8pm on Saturday. I've got a choir gig at 8, but hope to get to the Salthouse by about 10-ish to hang out for a while. Who knows what might happen.

I went to the NZIA service in Dublin last year, nice touch of "home" but unless you already knew people there, no real way to meet anyone. I thought about chatting to randoms but the chances were that they would be Aussie seemed high. (some of my best friends are Aussies, honest!) Too poor to go up this year :(

Just remembered: the Salthouse and Cottage bar are owned by the same people. There was a guy from the Hutt workign in the latter in Dec 07 ... maybe he's still around and behind the Salthouse do somehow.

I think I will head to the Salthouse around 10ish also, that's if I can find it. - still trying to learn my way round Galway!

I am meeting people from work at the Cottage! Wasn't my choice or I would love to head to the Skeff or the Salthouse (which is a great wee pub) to have the chance to meet people. But I'll be at the Cottage!
    :-) Nicole

Suza wrote: »
    I think I will head to the Salthouse around 10ish also, that's if I can find it. - still trying to learn my way round Galway!

Walk down Shop St, High St, Quay St. Past Spanish Arch/Jury's Inn. Over Wolfe Tone bridge. Just at the end of the bridge, turn right and you're in Raven's Terrace. Very short street, Salthouse is about two/three buildings along. If you get to Monroe's you've gone too far.

I'll be more like 10:30 at this stage, gig starting later than I thought :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jctoys007

Just in case you were wondering the salt house has Tui, Speights, Macs Gold and Lion Red...plus a few aussie beers as well...maybe even some Tuimato sauce to go with the sausages in bread ...ran into the dude running it today so he filled me in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jctoys007

JustMary wrote: »
    Just saw this thread now ... I'm 40, from Wellington, been here (Galway) about 18 months, now with a Scotsman who I met here.

There are a few kiwis around: I've met a physio and hairdresser, and have heard rumours of others working in NUIG.

No Kiwi pubs, but:

The Skeff is a kind of unofficial Australian embassy: loud and full of Aussies, not my favourite place to be at all.

The Salthouse on Ravens Terrace (by the canal, down from Monroes) has a sign outside promising Aussie and Kiwi food and beer for ANZAC day. I don't expect any NZ beer though :(

The Cottage Bar, Lower Salthill, also has Aussie beer. Nice spot.
    Just in case you were wondering the salt house has Tui, Speights, Macs Gold and Lion Red...plus a few aussie beers as well...maybe even some Tuimato sauce to go with the sausages in bread ...ran into the dude running it today so he filled me in! Oh yeah theres also some pineapple lumps he told me!

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I don't even recall the Woolshed having that kind of selection.. you can keep the lion red though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JockSelwyn

Hi SMCG,I am from Christchurch, and been living here for 9 years now, and have met another kiwi fella who, like me, met and Irish girl, got married, had kids, and is now here permanently. Other than that, and a brief encounter with an ex-student of mine, not many kiwis around here. Let me know if you want to meet up and chat about home. Live & work on east side of Galway city.

There actually seems to be a few of us around Galway then, we should maybe arrange a get-together at some stage, we could form a little 'Kiwi Club' I met 'Just Mary' in The Salthouse on Anzac Day, it was great to chat to someone from home. I have been here 4 weeks today - starting to feel a little more settled, although getting a bit sick of job hunting....best I get used to it eh!

• Advertisement

It would be great to make the time to meet up, I was dissappointed to miss the Anzac Day get together in the Salthouse.
    Does anyone have a time or day that suits them the most?
    Nicole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 JockSelwyn

Would suggest a pub at 9:30ish on Friday - somewhere central in Galway, I have not preference. Suit most people?John

JockSelwyn wrote: »
    Would suggest a pub at 9:30ish on Friday - somewhere central in Galway, I have not preference. Suit most people?John

Sounds good to me.

I'd vote for the Salthouse, since they managed to bring in the range of beers for ANZAC day, and are central but relatively tourist-free.

Anyone around over summer - wanna meet up over the next couple of months?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are Galway Beers happing in the Skeff very soon, you could meet some boardsies that way (might not be Kiwis)

I'm around until mid-October at least.

Don't know about Boards beers though, I stir too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 olivianz

Hi, I'm a 25 year old kiwi girl, I moved to galway about a month ago for work and to do a bit of travelling. I'm trying to meet some new people ( I didn't know anyone when I got here) Is anyone keen on meeting up for a drink or coffee?

Hi Olivia
    I'm happy to meet up - but probably not in the next fortnight as my husband is going to Electric Picnic so no babysitter next weekend. Would you prefer pub or coffee?

Hi Girls, I would love to join the two of you whatever you decide to do...I'm usually free anytime. Welcome to Galway Olivia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 olivianz

Hi Suza and SMCG, I'm pretty flexible too but how does the following saturday sound? the 12th of sept. Can either of you suggest a good pub to meet at, I don't know that many places yet :)

Advertisement