Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb & Belkin wireless - security issue.

Options
  • 07-10-2008 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just connected 2 laptops wirelessly via a Belkin 'G' router, but at no stage did it allow me to put in a password and protect the network.

I wouldn't usually worry only one laptop is a work one, hence some private data etc.

All suggestions welcome :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

If im correct you are using a Netgear router so if you open IE and type into the address bar, 192.168.0.1 and hit enter it should pop-up with a config page. Then look for Wireless settings and WEP or WPA and setup a password with at least 6 characters and a couple of numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

connundrum wrote:
    Just connected 2 laptops wirelessly via a Belkin 'G' router, but at no stage did...
    Vanbis wrote:
    If im correct you are using a Netgear router
    What?! Anyways OP it would be very helpful if you could tell us what kind of internet connection you have and the exact make and model of the router you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Achilles wrote: »
    What?! Anyways OP it would be very helpful if you could tell us what kind of internet connection you have and the exact make and model of the router you have.

The router is this one - http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=136493

And as for the internet connection - I don't know how to describe it i.e. is the internet connection Digiweb Broadband? Excuse the simpleness of me :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well the first suggestion is read the manual.

http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&aid=5999

Page 44 onwards.

This should tell you how to access the router - there you will find the wireless and security settings. The manual should tell you how to rename your wireless network and set up a wpa password. You should use wpa as it is more secure that wep.

The manual will then tell you to save your settings and exit.

If you do all this correctly next time either laptop tries to access your newly named network you should be asked to enter the password which you have just set up.

Advertisement