Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trying to figure out customs and vat duty on delivery

Options
  • 07-10-2008 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hey,

I ordered five digital tv set-top boxes from China that have been napped in customs now they want my invoice to work out customs plus VAt

I'm confused on how much i'll have to pay

The total including shipping for the 5 was 362euro is it simply 21% of this or are there others charges

any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

They will decide the value of the items were you to buy them here, then bill you the difference plus VAT I think. I had this done a couple of times. Now I just let them send it back and get refunded. They tried to add 270 euro to an item that cost me 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭patpark121

If you purchased from a commercial supplier in China, they should have included a commercial invoice on the shipment for importation authorities declaring value & contents. Customs will levy duty & vat on this @ 21% + an admin charge usually of about 10 - 15 euros.

If no commercial invoice was included (which is strange) they should still only charge the declared value of the invoice you have.... Provided the invoice declares correct quantities & pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

It should be 21% + customs fee (varies according to the type of item, but i'd guess 4% or so)
    The amount they calculate it on should be the amount you paid, as provable by you, including shipping fees.
    Some carriers (especially Fed Ex) will charge you an admin fee for doing the customs paperwork for you, but customs themselves don't have such a charge as far as I know

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

As mentioned the duty varies according to product. But this is calculated on the package total (incl shipping) first. The vat figure (21%) is worked out on the figure including the duty charge. There is usually a processing fee on top of the lot as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Rule of thumb, 30%. Never fails to be far off the mark.

• Advertisement
Advertisement