Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Difficultys

Options
  • 07-10-2008 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Like many I find Irish difficult but I find my self being probably the worst in my classes.

I do great in nearly every other subject but Irish.Im in 5th year now and recently we were given a bunch of phrases to learn off.I find them easy tenough to learn but then when I tyr them I go blank.

Like most 5th years I've been doing Irish since Jnr infants but I've always seem to have trouble with it.In first year the two worst in my Irish class were me and another,and the thing is the other guy improved and now it turns out he has a learning disability to language and dosent have to do Irish anymore.

I love Irish,By all means its my native language and I'd love to be able to speak it fluently but haivng it as a LC subject is nerve recking for me.Ihave a test tomorrow and I cant recall anything for it.

I did have the thought that I may be dyslexic,I was Ambidexterity when i was younger,and learned to talk when I was 6 months old which are apparently both signs of it.And I'm a frequent day dreamer((In 2nd class my teacher asked my parents to get my hearing checked :D))

So any ideas of tips ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

First thing I'd advise you to do is go to a gaeltacht next summer or even one of the daytime ones. It'll have you practacing the language and getting used to hearing it, and I agree wholeheartedly with my Irish teacher that if you can say something, you can write it. Even if it's not perfect Irish, you get like 70% of the marks or something like that in the oral for confidence and the flow of Irish. Secondly, in terms of poems and prose and the likes, make out notes to the best of your ability(that is if your teacher doesn't just feed you notes without asking for your input) and give them to your teacher to review. Keep going over sample questions and stuff and you'll get so sick of hearing the same things again and again that they'll stick. At the back of the listening comprehension books there's pretty useful vocab, so you could probably try learning 10 a week and by the end you'll have loads of Irish! And lastly, try and get the basic grammar points down (like de, do, faoi, o etc take a seimhu, what nouns are masculine or feminine etc) and you'll be flying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I did go a few years back and I only came outlearn the word sha(or how ever it's spelled)) and re-learning póg ma hóne as I forgot about it :D

Last year..for a 4th year test I studied my ass off,and what did I get..an E..and for my JC I got a D in pass.

Im in a new school this year((for 5th and 6th)) and they cover nearly all of the LC in 5th year and then repeat it in 6th.I feel I probably could be able to learn it but if it were slowed down but that dosent seem to be an option.And even then I can see my self no holding it or it becoming mumbo jumob *L*

Advertisement