Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 any use?

Options
  • 07-10-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

I have a friend in Clondalkin on 3G and he says its crap.

What is O2 wireless like?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Bump.:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is 3g

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It all depends on Location, there's no way of really knowing which is better in your location until you try it....I've seen 02 go from Excellent to ****e in places, much the same as happend to 3 when they started....

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Icdb

o2 is alright.. except for the 10 gig limit i used up mine in about 4 days this month.. when it gets to its limit i use a 3pay broadband sim... which is terrible... but it keeps me connected

the limits and prices have changed since.....you now only get 7.5gb on a 12mt contract at a cost of €25pm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Icdb wrote: »
    o2 is alright.. except for the 10 gig limit i used up mine in about 4 days this month.. when it gets to its limit i use a 3pay broadband sim... which is terrible... but it keeps me connected

How did you manage to do that??:eek:

managed it by... stargate ep?? eureka ep?? entourage epp?? knight rider 2008.. ep.. pilot epp 1 & 2. heroes ep 00 01 02.. prison break ep.. 05 06.. a few movies.. set everything to download before off to bed.. in the morning finished or nearly finished... and leave it running during the day.. with a few updates.. and downloads of various linux releases.. and ur done basically.. oh and some work.. thrown in.. full sized *.wav files

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Thanks for the replys guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Hydrosylator

It seems people in the city have a better time of it, but if you live in the country like me, you're actually better off with dial-up.

I'm getting 8.3 kb/sec at the moment, the highest I've seen on it is about 16, I've never seen it go past 20 kb/sec. Also, it's less reliable than dial-up, as I've had entire days where it just wouldn't connect.

Avoid avoid avoid.

It seems people in the city have a better time of it, but if you live in the country like me, you're actually better off with dial-up.

I'm getting 8.3 kb/sec at the moment, the highest I've seen on it is about 16, I've never seen it go past 20 kb/sec. Also, it's less reliable than dial-up, as I've had entire days where it just wouldn't connect.

Avoid avoid avoid.

What signal are you locked on to, 2G or 3G?

GPRS should be giving you a reliable conection around 256k..

• Advertisement

well i'm in the country... and i managed good speeds... last speed test i did.. 2,300 and 400 up....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Avoid avoid avoid.

No, it will depend on the signal strength, how far you are from the mast, and how many others are using the service in the same cell sector as you. This will effect people in the same way in cities and rural areas. If you are in a rural area, it's more likely that you'll be farther away from the mast though (as they're less concentrated), or that you simply have no 3G signal in that area.

Nobody can really advice anyone to avoid, or use, any of the 3G services, as by it's very nature, they are highly variable. The only way to be sure, is try it and see. The only constant seems to be that Three are generally accepted to be rubbish.

EDGE would give you about 250k, GPRS alone will only give you about 56k. I find that even on full EDGE signal, that I often can't even get on the Internet at all. EDGE seems to be very hit and miss.

It's GPRS. And it's not as if I'm in a hole in the ground either, my phone is usually at 5 bars out of 5, and that's an 02 phone. I'm less than a mile to the nearest mast.

have u tried setting it to connect on 3g only.. as apposed to gprs or 3g preferred...

that should sort ur problem out...

jor el wrote: »
    Nobody can really advice anyone to avoid, or use, any of the 3G services
    Yes I can! Yes I can!
    EDGE would give you about 250k, GPRS alone will only give you about 56k. I find that even on full EDGE signal, that I often can't even get on the Internet at all. EDGE seems to be very hit and miss.
    That's interesting, the signal I get displays as EDGE itself, and I have those "no internet" days as well.

Icdb wrote: »
    have u tried setting it to connect on 3g only.. as apposed to gprs or 3g preferred...

that should sort ur problem out...

I was told by the 02 call centre drones to set it for GPRS, tried changing it around, but no joy. I know it's not just me though, their network just seems to be inadequate in this area.

I imagine phone calls would be prioritised over web communication in the 02 system, as they're more lucrative, maybe internet people are put at th back of the queue for data in an over-subscribed system?

4.95 kb/sec

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mullins07

It was grand until recently when they released a special offer enticing thousands of students onto their network for discount prices.

Now the network cannot cope with the additional load and I was told by O2 support that until the network is upgraded, the service will continue to be unusable at peak times (i.e. most evenings).

Stay away for the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

living on outskirts of galway city - no problems here with O2, freezes sometimes, but so does my brand new nokia e51!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

I have both o2 and 3g mobile BB 3G on UK PAYG and O2 on Eire contract. 3g seems to be much less reliable then O2. I only use the UK 3G to have a uk IP address when I need to have one

• Advertisement
Advertisement