Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My First Finished Piece

Options
  • 07-10-2008 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, so i started messing around on Sunday and ended up making this one this evening. It's my first ever piece so be gentle.

There are one or two obvious flaws and bad overlays that i can see but i am pretty happy with it.

Any tips on how to improve would be greatly appreciated.

Best view large, http://www.flickr.com/photos/altogether-aido/2922936570/sizes/l/

2922936570_796cc6efb2.jpg?v=0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I like it a lot. Cant really comment on the art side of things, but technically it looks great- some great use of photoshop (Photoshop I assume?) Had a proper look at it full size on your flickr, and looks good close up, although the black streaks could be a little more anti-aliased, only if you are planning on printing it large.

Do you use a graphics tablet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

noblestee wrote: »
    I like it a lot. Cant really comment on the art side of things, but technically it looks great- some great use of photoshop (Photoshop I assume?) Had a proper look at it full size on your flickr, and looks good close up, although the black streaks could be a little more anti-aliased, only if you are planning on printing it large.

Do you use a graphics tablet?

Yeah it was Photoshop. The system that i have at the moment just won't be able to handle anything like Bryce, so i'm gonna stick to CS3 for now.

Which also reminds me that i need to credit Falln-Stock and a few more people for the brushes i used.

I don't have a graphics tablet at the moment sadly, as soon as i can afford my new laptop i will be picking on up.

Thanks a lot for the Feedback. Hope to try number two tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Try and get a copy of bryce 4. I got it free with a PC magazine about 10 years ago, and from the cover i assumed it was some kind of fantasy game:o. I was disappointed to say the least, but I started messing around with it (I was only about 14 at the time). It ran ok on my heap of **** gateway 2000 with a 233Mhz Processor and 32mb RAM. Rendering was a little slow but it still ran smooth enough. It taught me a lot about 3D modelling and its what really got me into it.

What do you want to use bryce for? I mainly use 3Ds max and sketchup for 3D stuff, but im more into the architectural visualisation side of things, rather than digital art.

Basically i will use Bryce for the same thing that you do. I won't just sit on the Art side of Digital Art, although i will try and base the majority of my pieces around a photographic starting point.

I basically want to explore and cover as many area's of Digital Design and Art as i can and find where my passion or talent sits.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Great work dragan. Is there a message or meaning behind it, or are you just honing your skills. How long did it take you?

• Advertisement

Well i guess it's a portrait of the person i took the picture of. Kind of how they can see themselves sometimes. A little fragile, the world a bit tumultuous.

I disagree with them.:)

All in all it took me about 3 hours, from taking the shot to finishing photoshopping.

And thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Excellent start! Well done.

I'd like a little more tonal range in the face and I don;t like the way the tip of the nose is missing but over all a great first attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Nice one Dragan... Looks good.

I didn't realize you were an artist too. :)

It's shit. You are a pretentious, talentless git.

Thanks. And i'll start giving a **** any day now. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

I think it's bloody marvellous, really impressive. I've only just started back into the world of design and art after a 15 year break so this kind of work is inspirational to me.

Thanks!

:)

• Advertisement

IanCurtis wrote: »
    I think it's bloody marvellous, really impressive. I've only just started back into the world of design and art after a 15 year break so this kind of work is inspirational to me.

Thanks!

:)

Cheers Ian. I am the same, it's only in the last 8 months or so i got back into the artistic side of things after a 6 or 7 year lay off. Have never done the Digital Side of things before so am finding that to be very interesting and hugely immersive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Tara45

very nice :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Thats quite good Dragan, i like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 werewolfsalami

good work,
    one thing i would have done to add a bit more detail to it,
    would be to break up the cracked surface (probably would take some time) into a lot of layers
    and then use the distort and perspective tools on the angular parts of the face and especially the edges.

its still good without this and who knows, it might leave it looking over worked, but it might also add depth to the image.

Advertisement