Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on renovation quotes

• 07-10-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I’m living in a 1930s ex-council house in Dublin (66 sq m) and plan to do some renovations.I’ve obtained two quotes so I’m hoping for some advice
    Work planned is as follows:
    Shed: Partial rebuild of small shed (2sq m) and connecting of water supply & drain (about 6 feet) for washing machine
    Sitting room( 21sq m): laying of new floor
    Replacement of fireplace
    replastering of walls and ceiling
    Insulation of exterior wall
    Removal of partition wall
    Hall/stairs/landing: replastering of walls
    Back bedroom (7 sq m): Removal of built in wardrobes
    replastering of walls
    Bathroom: Insulation of external wall (includes re-tiling) & replastering of ceiling
    Front bedroom (12 sq m): Installation of original fireplace
    replastering of walls
    I also need 6 doors installed, some wires chased and current light switches & sockets made flush with walls.
    I got one quote of €3200 for the shed and living room work only.
    I got another quote for €12500 for the entire list.
    The €12500 guy seemed much more professional and enthusiastic so I’m hoping he isn’t ripping me off but I can’t understand how the quotes could be so different. The €12500 guy said that the work would take 10 days so that's over €1250 per day. I know I will need a few different types of tradesmen but surely not all day every day especially since I thought that the going rate for a tradesman was about €200/€300 a day.
    I’d appreciate any comments
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Thats quite a list but both Builders didn't price the same work, so you can't compare the prices!

I'd always recommend 3 quotes from 3 Builders, each pricing the exact same work. That way you will get an idea of the cost involved.

Chasing walls for cables, making sockets & cables flush etc is quite fast and cheap. ( Not thousands) The insulation work is unclear - are you pumping the cavity or dry-lining?
    Both methods are quite quick. A cavity fill might take 4 - 8 hours.

Dry-lining would take afew days but the "skim" coat of plaster to walls & ceiling would be quite fast.

I assume the quote for €12,500 includes materials. If so its not €1250 per day. Either way a Plaster, Tiler, Plumber, Electrician, Carpenter and a few Labourers etc will all work in your house. Other costs include skip hire, insurance etc.

10 days would be very good if a bit optamistic. I suppose it depends on the size of the crew involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gill25

Thank you for your reply. Sorry for some details being unclear.
    The first guy "forgot" to quote for the upstairs and is to get back to me about the total. My concern is that if the downstairs cost 3 how could the upstairs cost 9 when its the same area (kitchen is an extension). I am getting a third quote this week so that should help
    I know the price is materials and labour but the only materials are plaster and some cement in the garden for extending pipe work from the kitchen to shed. Half the walls have been stripped and look like they just need skimming whereas the exterior walls require dry lining. Numbers wise there will be three guys doing most of the work plus an electrician and a plumber

Advertisement