Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 89: Bisping vs Leben Discussion ** Will Contain Spoilers **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Dragan wrote: »
    Which one? My mates down in Limerick might like that!

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭kelator

Leben on setanta news now, bispig being interviewed on phone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I really doubt that Redz would be showing it, it's on a Saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Whats the place beside the cinema on Parnell St?...some Australian themed place...From what I can remember they show matches on Saturday...might have the ppv on too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭johnnysmurfman

Could I start a separate thread on the subject of venues to watch? I could do it next week, just not sure if it's considered as spamming the forum or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Lads, one of the lads pulled out yesterday so I've a spare ticket for UFC 89, its £70 afair (will check when I get home later).

Going for face value if anyone is interested.

Whats the place beside the cinema on Parnell St?...some Australian themed place...From what I can remember they show matches on Saturday...might have the ppv on too.

It's called the Woolshed. I don't know if they show MMA or not though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

PM sent.

Hi im based in Limerick also and would love to watch the fights down in a pub. Could you let me know also :D cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I was always excited by the Leben Bisping match up, even though I am not a big fan of either fighter. This fight has potential for fireworks. Check out the pics below of both fighters, I have never seen them in such great condition.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=61540769&albumId=21950

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/10/14/634724/so-chris-leben-has-managed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Hi im based in Limerick also and would love to watch the fights down in a pub. Could you let me know also :D cheers!

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Bisping has a few video blogs on his site, www.bispingtv.com
    Said he ran into Leben and he was looking trim!

The Countdown show was really good. Definitely one of their better ones. Leben came out of it looking like a nice guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 borrisimo

Would any of ye fine gentlemen know of anywhere in Cork city that is showing it, I doubt it seeing as how its a saturday night but thought it was worth a shot anyway, been trying to sort out setanta all week but don't reckon I'll get it in time.

It looks like Jardine is going to be fighting at a much heavier weight than Vera. That could swing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭hypnosisdublin

I think Bisping will fight a smart fight and win by UD. I'd really like to see Leben win by KO though.

I fancy Jardine to outwork Vera - that'll be an absolute war - great clash of fancy vs awkward style

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

Paul Taylor was robbed!!! Landed cleaner strikes, greater variety of strikes..finished the fight stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Vera won that fight!what the hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was glad to see Jardine say something about the crowd boo'ing, it was starting to get me pissed off too. I hope the same doesn't happen here in Ireland.

Bisping did what he had to do, didn't take any silly chances and risk having his arse handed to him on a plate. Win, game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

BJJ

I agree he landed some really nice strikes.

I have to say I really like the way MMA fighters have started to use elbows in stand up and there were some really nice clean body kicks. Its obvious that each gym has a Muay Thai coach you can see it a mile away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

yeah def could see the muay thai influence, leben going for the inside leg kick n bisping with the quick kick body shots n standing elbow strikes (niceeee). leban was for sure the aggressor but bisping played to his game plan with crisp straight shots to set up kicks. i agree with the decision. well i had a few beers but from what i can remember he had the 1st n 3rd round fo sho:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I thought Leben won, I'll have to watch it again I suppose on the TV.

the booing was a bit sad to hear, a lot of bisping bandwagoners there who didn't really know much about MMA brough the football attitude with them.

I didnt think that decision could have been more clear cut. lebens face was an absolute mess while Bisping was unscathed.

Am I the only one who thought Vera was robbed? Landed much more precise strikes and busting Jardine open from the bottom and had a nice kimura attempt which was not very close, kept Jardine defending on top.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

the booing was a bit sad to hear, a lot of bisping bandwagoners there who didn't really know much about MMA brough the football attitude with them.

You must have been watching a different fight or be one of those bandwagoner types cos it was a clear win for Bisping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Am I the only one who thought Vera was robbed? Landed much more precise strikes and busting Jardine open from the bottom and had a nice kimura attempt which was not very close, kept Jardine defending on top.

I'm with you. I thought Vera had done enough to get the decision. Poor Vera went from finishing people off in dramatic style to something altogether less than that.

Then again, i have a lot of respect for Jardine, he is a good fighter who is awkward to fight.

Other than this I think i got all my calls right on this one, except for Baron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I thought Vera won as well. Altough he is not as good a all the hype would suggest. With the Filipino connection, he is not going anywhere.

Solid gameplan by Bisping, did just enough damage to win. Was not pretty to watch though, and its unlikely he will ever be a PPV draw.

Decent perfomance from Marcus, and pretty much guarantees we will see him in January. His "Irish" thing is a bit sill but he always brings exciting fights.

Really enjoyed the Cain Sokoudjou fight, impressive performance from Banha, Sokoudjou appears to have been overhyped.

Carwin vs Wain was a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Dont really think he was that over hyped, he'd knocked out Arona and Lil Nog in spectacular fashion, however he does seem to be a 1 trick pony, like Houston Alexander with dreadlocks.

When a decent fighter does their homework on him and avoid the big shots they can pretty much take him apart, like Cane and Machida have.

Very impressed with Cane.

I too think Vera had the cleaner strikes and had done enough, although he needs to get the finger out, he just doesnt seem willing to push it into that extra gear anymore when he is in a position to really take a fight by the scruff of the neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Vera deserved the decision IMO, but I can see where the judges were coming from.

Mike Bisping did a great job and I really enjoyed it, if some people begrudge someone playing it safe then they should try getting in the octagon sometime.

Cain's rop'a'dope was rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

dunkamania wrote: »
    Decent perfomance from Marcus, and pretty much guarantees we will see him in January. His "Irish" thing is a bit sill but he always brings exciting fights.

Davis, has been asked about his "Irish" connections before, he has none, never said he has any either. He said it came from his nickname "the Irish Hand-Grenade", so he went with the kilt etc., as it built the crowd up for his fights.
    I didnt think that decision could have been more clear cut. lebens face was an absolute mess while Bisping was unscathed.

Agreed with the Bisping decision. I still think he's a complete prick but it was a great tactical win imho. Leben has gone up in my estimation too, not fighting wise, but "not so much a dick"-wise.

Vera was robbed, no way was that Jardines fight........
    And on the booing, I was at it, the booing was deserved in my opinion (and of the 9 others with me). It wasn't like the American, boo when the fight goes to the ground, it was due to bad decisions (i.e. Jardine) and not engaging on the feet, a few of the fights may as well have been sparring matches.

I'm going to have to watch it again, as the opinion of a lot who went to it, it was one of the worse shows in a while.

I heard the Hardy/Gono fight wasn't shown??
    WTF? It was a good fight, with the walk-in of Gomo only making it pure legend. I have a video of it which I'll put up asap.

• Advertisement

lafors wrote: »
    Leben has gone up in my estimation too, not fighting wise, but "not so much a dick"-wise.

Meant to comment on this, he has grown up alot in the last year. I hear he is sober 90 odd days now too

Advertisement