Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Study hours?

Options
  • 07-10-2008 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Just wondering how long people are spending on study every night, on average. I'm in 5th year, so I'm interested in both 5th and 6th year replies! K thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'm in 5th year myself, I don't reallly study unless its for a upcoming test. But I do,do all the homework and catch up on notes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

6th year"er" here. Usually just do my homework every night takes usually 2 hours, then study for any tests and usually have a good few maths and physics past paper question do every few weeks.

Plan on using the mid-term to make notes on geography, physics, oral notes on Irish and French and then maybe some business notes. Then the Christmas exams 2 weeks later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lollyhealy

Thanks guys! I'm doing about 3 hours every day and I didn't know if it was enough or too much or whatever! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

5th year.....eh.....I got most of my homework done :)

This year, days that I have evening study, I get about 4 hours done, other evenings, i get a bit less :D (next to nothing, as I have access to Boards :p)

lollyhealy wrote: »
    Thanks guys! I'm doing about 3 hours every day and I didn't know if it was enough or too much or whatever! :D

Well if you're doing 3 hours a night in fifth year that's a feat in itself, don't know many people who did/do that!

As for myself, I'm repeating the leaving now, and do about 4~5 hours a night including homework.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

just did homework in 5th year, if i had a test i'd study

this year so far i've just been doing 2 hours, including homework, but from monday, seeing how much everyone else is doing, i'll probably do 2 hours studying and homework on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

:eek: I just do my homework very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 M_G_M_T

I wouldn't be too worried about what you read here, everyone is different, what I could get done in 1hr, it could take you 3hr's to do, or vice versa.
    Some advice, do your homework as best as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i generally do my homework and then a teeny tiny bit of revision but today ive spent four hours study for two tests i have tomorow and i havent a breese on either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I can't find the time to study, it takes me about 3 hours to do homework on average, and I'll be damned if the Leaving Cert is taking more than 9 hours of my day! I study for tests that are coming up but havent done much revison of 5th year stuff yet, just one biology chapter and a bit of maths.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭aine-maire

Piste wrote: »
    I can't find the time to study, it takes me about 3 hours to do homework on average, and I'll be damned if the Leaving Cert is taking more than 9 hours of my day!

Me too!!It takes me so long to do my homework, I mean how do teachers expect us to revise when they're constantly giving us a huge workload anyway? I mean, maths and english just take up so much time that it's really difficult to get much more done. Basically, I'm going to just have to try and make notes during the midterm...(yay,fun times ahead...)
    If teachers would just reduce the amount of (sometimes) irrelevant homework exercises, there would be so much more time to actually learn material.
    Rant over. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

My teachers kind of go back over the 5th year stuff,so thats my study.
    Don't do any at the moment and don't plan too till next year!
    Worst ting is i get in @ 4:30
    After dinner and Dog fed its nearly 6 after i'v done my homework it 9:30 and i try to get to bed early so i'm fresh im the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭spillit67

Students should be really focusing on their homework up until Christmas, do it well and you'll be grand. After that i'd recommend an hour or so revision on top of homework until the build up to mocks. Then really put your head down and you'll nail it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

^Thank you for making me feel lees like a bastard.

I've been doing my homework and the occassional couple of hours of study every couple of days. Me lazy.

The worst part is, I want to do medicine. If I get it feel free to hate me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I spend around two hours a night at homework/study.

Then I watch my box sets of the Sopranos. I learn far more doing that than the LC tbh. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭crunchycorner

Homework takes about 2-3hrs........don't get home til 5 and usually leave it til 8 or 9 before i start cos im so frickin tired!!:mad: Can't wait for after school study to start!!

yours hasnt started yet? ours started second full week back!

Nope, not til after halloween, and thats only if enough people want to do it. Wish it started straight away cos i waste over an hour a day waiting for the friggin bus!!

that sucks... there's really high demand in my school. classes of sixth years, two of fifth and then a few classes of third years too!

There's only 200 in our school altogether and its usually 3rd and 6th that do study .....have to get at least 30 to do it. Not sure if there's that many this year tho....hop they still do it:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

^^thats the same as our school
    but our yearhead(only 35 in my year) is planning on a 4 day evening study cos we all agree lc can take a hike on a friday

oh and im doing 2-3 hours homework (and about another 2 on english)
    its just too much work to study after 9 hours of school work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Ours started the 2 weeks school reopened, I really should do it..

god, there's 150 in my year! 800 in the entire school. we have 4 days of study, 2 hours each, not on a wednesday, half day that day. but usually by the time the teachers turn up for study we only have an hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Over 1000 in my school! I'm not doing after schol study though, it's really badly run and expensive in my school. I also spend at least an hour and a half getting home, which would not fun at 7 at night in the cold and pissing rain!

Advertisement