Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Layoffs at the Voice

Options
  • 08-10-2008 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Saw on the Kilkenny Tread that there are seven layed off in the Kilkenny Voice today, the mother paper of the Galway Voice. Seems only a matter of time before the Galway one goes belly-up as well. Staff are preparing to jump ship. Must be losing tens of thousands.:eek:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You do seem to have quite the preternatural obsession with provincial newspapers.

Then again, I suppose the competition is so bitter because the stakes are so low...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Do you do anything other than gossip about what media outlet is about to go belly up?

Who are you, and which paper do you work for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 manonthestreet

i thought it would be obvoius.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

i thought it would be obvoius.:eek:

Your the man on the street selling the big issue....right?!?!

http://www.voicenewspapers.ie/
    Their website doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I read this paper for the first time this week - there was a big pile at the door into work. There wasn't much in it.

It's gone free, instead of charging a couple of euro, which I think is a great idea and I'm surprised no-one has thought of sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Their website doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

"This website is temporarily down, please come again soon... "

Indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Hi Everyone

Just a quick mail to say to manonthestreet that you have spread some pretty slanderous remarks about a number of media owners on this site, mainly by misrepresentation. if I was you personally, I'd start keeping my mouth closed.

Before you ask, no I do not work for the Galway Voice but I do work for another media owner.

If you want to step toe to toe on this issue I will come with all guns a blazing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I read this paper for the first time this week - there was a big pile at the door into work. There wasn't much in it.
    It's gone free, instead of charging a couple of euro, which I think is a great idea and I'm surprised no-one has thought of sooner.

Eh when it first came out, it charged a couple of euro and not many copies shifted and then it turned into a freesheet.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Buglim wrote: »
    Hi Everyone

Just a quick mail to say to manonthestreet that you have spread some pretty slanderous remarks about a number of media owners on this site, mainly by misrepresentation. if I was you personally, I'd start keeping my mouth closed.

Before you ask, no I do not work for the Galway Voice but I do work for another media owner.

If you want to srep toe to toe on this issue I will come with all guns a blazing
    FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

Galway's media darlings settle their proxy internet wars, live cage fight from Eyre Square.

Promotion by Don King...Padraig Conneely as the ring announcer...Knacker Dwarf -v- Warty Nora on the undercard...winner gets the exclusive rights to rip off Boards threads instead of doing some actual journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Buglim

Quick give me a ring name????? And I'm not a journalist.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Any paper that puts out a front page with glaring typo in the headline deserves to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

in before the lock..................hopefully not though, this could be good

whats' slandorous buglim? Who has been named? whats' not true?

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

You've been continually posting comments suggesting it's going out of business, which so far it hasn't, so you've been irresponsibly spreading rumours without conclusive proof, rumours which may be having a negative effect on the business and so it's quite possible what your doing is slanderous.

tell me one thing i said that is un-true. there were lay offs fact. the staff in galway are worried - fact. their other papers were closed down - fact. I am interested in media - fact.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eh when it first came out, it charged a couple of euro and not many copies shifted and then it turned into a freesheet.

I remember when it came out it was charged for, I didn't look at it again until a couple of days ago and at the top right hand corner it said now free.

I assumed it was a recent change. :o

Advertisement