Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Xenon bulb issues.

Options
  • 08-10-2008 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any idea as to why a HID bulb (Factory fitted Xenons) would start to turn purple after a minutes use. Its only something that seems to be happening recently from what I can tell but I may be wrong. It looks like one of them 12,000K bulbs but I doubt mercedes would fit one of them! It really is purple, not just a purple glow!

Any idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Anyone got any idea as to why a HID bulb (Factory fitted Xenons) would start to turn purple after a minutes use. Its only something that seems to be happening recently from what I can tell but I may be wrong. It looks like one of them 12,000K bulbs but I doubt mercedes would fit one of them! It really is purple, not just a purple glow!

Any idea?

Xenon bulbs should be covered underwarranty AFAIK someone else on here had same issue witha mercedes as well few months back.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Could it be an alignment issue on one of the bulbs? Could be shining back onto itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Xenon bulbs are manufactured using a compressed gas with is rated by a KN rating. The higher the KN rating the more the bulb will appear blue then to purple. Its called Kelvin factor

Some Jap import cars have very purple bulbs, i.e up around 8000kn. The Xenon standard is around 7000kn.

If they are under warranty bring them back. If not, invest in some replacement Xenon with mid range KN rating.

Remember always change headlights in pairs so they both do not have different effects.

The bulbs are called D2S and D2R

This is the company I buy bulbs from

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/d2s-gas-discharge-hid-bulbs-c-632.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

OP - if you're stuck, I have a spare D2S bulb you can have FOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭octyvrs

4300k is oem standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I'm aware that bulb's are measured in K and the higher you go, the more purple it will look such as 12,000K = Purple.

I'll get it checked out at the garage see what they say, seems strange that it just started doing it.

Do xenon's "blow" or deteriate after a certain amount of light cycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

HungryJoey wrote: »
    Do xenon's "blow" or deteriate after a certain amount of light cycles?
    They are supposed to last for years. But I had a Skoda Octavia RS with xenon lights (previous model) in which one of the sidelights went, and I had to pay about €200 to have the whole unit dismantled so that they could put in a little bulb worth about 70 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Xenon HID bulbs are meant to outlast your vehicle itself but the manufactureres recommened they are replaced every 3 years because of glass fading and inherent loss of effect on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

octyvrs wrote: »
    4300k is oem standard.

Correct. Definitely not 7000k. 6000k is the boy racer standard;)

I have an Audi Allroad from new that has OEM xenons. It's 5 years old and approaching 100k miles. Since the dark evenings arrived, I've noticed that the light from the dips is pretty poor.

I did some research and found that the life of a bulb is about 3,000 hours. Given that I drive early morning and late evening, I reckon I would have easily racked that up over the 5 years.

I bought two OEM philips 4300k bulbs on ebay for €90 shipped which was good value. It was also pretty easy to fit them. There is more light, but it's on the yellow side. I believe they need around 100 hours to bed in and the light should be whiter.

Advertisement