Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent alowence when cohabating

• 08-10-2008 1:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hi im liveing with my girlfriend and have being out of work 2 years

We are liveing in the cheapest place we can find the place is not insoleted it is just a brick wall so the heating bill is mad and allways is cold the only time the place is not cold is when i have my dauther over i have the heating on full and electric heating on anything i need

I need to have a 2 bedroom place as my little one stays over at the weekend she also comes up once a week for dinner for a few hours
    So i cant share a place my girlfriend is paying out most of her wages on the rent etc and my social welfare goes to the bills and paying maintance for my little girl

Can i get rent allowence when i asked before when i lost my job i was told that if they tought that i was cohabating i could lose my social welfare

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

As far as i know you can only get rent allowance if you can prove you had the means to pay rent when you moved in and your circumstances have sinced changed and you can no longer pay the rent

I'm not 100% sure though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

To qualify for rent allowance, both your and gf's income is assessed.If your gf is working , then your Social Welfare income may be affected. You are, by law, obliged to tell Social Welfare. In your case, as described above, you are now stuck between a rock and a hard place. Safest thing to do is be upfront with Social Welfare. You may well find that they will not penalise you excessively vis a vis your gf's income.

Advertisement