Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity english talks

Options
  • 08-10-2008 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭

anyone go to theese alst year or ging this year?

was at the macbeth one today and didnt think it much use really.
    the lecturer had my lost around 20 minutes into it so i just kept trying to pick up random points throught it.

theres one next tuesday on jane eyre and i know itd a different lecturer but the experience today just threw me off the idea a bit

on the plus side i managed to find the arts building without help which is unusual for me though it was packed with people because John c mcginly(sp) dr.cox from scrubs was going to be there

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

went 2 years ago. quite depressing. dropped to pass after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i just kinda looked at her strangley for a while.

then she went on to tell us about productions she had seen of it and the sets....has nothing to do with the story

i wonder if shakespere ever thought of the stress and pain he'd inflict on millions of young people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Yeah my english teacher is trying to convince people us in class to go to them. I'm still not sure as to whether I should pay and go. Judging on this it does not seem that great. Anybody have anything positive to say about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

im giving it a shot and going to the jane eyre on tuesday as its a different speaker

hopefully this might actually be useful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I went to them last year. Quality varied depending on lecturer, some of them weren't THAT on topic as far as the LC goes, but they were interesting enough.
    I think the most interesting/fun bit about them is that it's a real college atmosphere - you're IN college, there's still college people around, and you've to take notes like you do in college. Wonder if I can say the word college any more times... Anyway, that's a benefit of sorts. As far as English goes... Well, the lecture I got on Derek Mahon is essentially the question that came up in the LC, and I answered on it, and got an A1, so one could say that that was useful. : p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

A couple of my friends went to it. Apparently, it won't be the "golden nugget" to get you the A1. I'm a firm believer that you will get an A1 if you deserve it and no amount of extra cirrcular work will get you something that you arn't capable of. English isn't like Physics or Maths, you really can't learn it off. However, for weaker students who might want to get a different perspective, they can be some help. Sort of like looking up the same topic in different books :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

I'm interested in going to the Philip Larkin and The Speckled People lectures but i'm still deliberating as to whether I should do it. My English teacher thinks we should as she went to Trinity and knows the lecturers who do the lectures and she seems to speak highly of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'd be interested in the above too. But remember it is, for most people, a 3 hour round trip. Imagine all the extra study those 3 hours would bring? If they gave out notes it would be money better spent in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

IMO, as I said, part of it is the learning how to take notes, but I can see how LC students would be slightly more concerned about learning the damn material than college preparation.

Advertisement