Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hobbies + leaving cert =not hapening ??

Options
  • 08-10-2008 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭

anyone else getting told to give up their hobbies for the year because of their leaving?

im in dancing and usually spend 2 hours a week or so there then more coming up to shows which are in february and october.fair enough for the october show week ill be doing no work because itll be school home dinner tan show shower sleep and repeat till the saturday night is over but thats an exception.

i think that having theese outlets is a well needed gap!one of my teachers told people today to stop watching soaps and to go and study then insted.crazy.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'd say keep up your dancing if you find it's not taking up too much of your time. The different type of brain activity used in it should be beneficial to you when you want to study.

Staying up til half one on a school night wouldn't be a habit to get into. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

If you dont have your hobbies, you'll go insane from all the studies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Only have one hobby tbh and that's supporting Shels home and away. Season is over the middle of next month so gives me 4 months till the start of the new season to get my full driving license so I can drive to away matches.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Tbh, im still doing rugby which means i get nothing done on a tuesday or thursday night, and have a match which takes up most of saturdays, but i dont think thatll have too big an impact!

You need hobbies to destress and all that stuff, not forgetting the fitness aswell, improves concentration....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

No way am I giving up Galway United. I'm off to Sligo this Saturday for the derby :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    No way am I giving up Galway United. I'm off to Sligo this Saturday for the derby :)

League of Ireland special high five.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

If anything ive been noddling around with musical instruments more since the summer, much to the annoyance of my family, cheap tin whistle = hours of fun.

Gettin' a mandolin, shall be epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I'm playing rugby, going to just as many concerts as before, watching as many films/TV shows, drinking just as much maybe more, so no, don't think my hobbies have been affected thankfully :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

League of Ireland special high five.:p
    :cool: Support your local team everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i know myself that even if i am stuck in all day im not going to be studying

dossing around ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Ack it's impossible! I sing, play the piano and play the violin and it's IMPOSSIBLE to practice them all and study! Violin is ok cos I only took it up this year so preliminary grade is easy, but my singing exam is in December, then competitions start around Februaru and I have my practical in April. Have a piano exam in March-ish too. No time to practice :(

Not to mention I have a boyfriend to give undivided attention to :(

Also shopping, how am I meant to go shopping when I barely have time to study?!

6th year is crap :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭leprehaungirl

The whole boyfriend thing is a killer alright!
    i have gym membership and i used to love goin during 5th year although its actually impossible to go at the moment coz you need a good two hours there and theres zero time for that :(
    The shopping thing is actually workin in a good and bad way i think..doing grinds in the institute and theres nothin lik goin for a wander around grafton st & temple bar aferwards ...its like as soon as i leave i see heavan(topshop) and i just have to go in haha
    worst part of it all ...i have zero funds and should really be going straight to the library after grinds :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

^ I thought girls were good at multi-tasking? :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Studying and going to Topshop at the same time?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I had my violin grade 7 in the... November or December of 6th year, and it was pretty stressful... once the practical was over I basically stopped playing though. Most of my hobbies went by the wayside. I replaced them with simpler things like gaming, which doesn't really require the same effort that playing an instrument/drawing/etc does.
    The important thing is to take them back up once the LC is over! (Though hobbies during the year are also good for distracting yourself, but if you're like me in that your hobbies tend to get really involving and timeconsuming, you should think about doing simpler relaxation activities.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I'm still running, working, playing music and going out! My theory is this: On a saturday night, can you honestly say you'll be studying from 8 o'clock untill 3 or 4 o'clock? No, I don't think so. Therefore, I have time to get wasted! I do music for school, so that's why I can do that. I work on a saturday then head out usually, afterwards. And running is just a bit of...eh...a break! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Jay P wrote: »
    I'm still running, working, playing music and going out! My theory is this: On a saturday night, can you honestly say you'll be studying from 8 o'clock untill 3 or 4 o'clock? No, I don't think so. Therefore, I have time to get wasted! I do music for school, so that's why I can do that. I work on a saturday then head out usually, afterwards. And running is just a bit of...eh...a break! :P
    Interesting logic... I remember my teachers telling us that they could tell who'd gone out on the weekend because they were still wrecked until half-way into the week.
    (That said I never studied on the weekend so I'm not one to talk.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Interesting logic... I remember my teachers telling us that they could tell who'd gone out on the weekend because they were still wrecked until half-way into the week.
    (That said I never studied on the weekend so I'm not one to talk.)

I'm not the best sleeper so I'm wrecked throughout the week anyway. Not that I'd still be hungover during double Irish on a wednesday or those epic triple maths classes we have on tuesdays :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Jay P wrote: »
    double Irish or epic triple maths classes

WHAT TEH FÚCK?

Double irish, never mind triple maths, never experienced some thing that epic.

Because of evening study, my time to listen to music is dwindling, which is pretty much my favourite thing in life, so when im at home im rarely not listening to it, kinda annoying, as study can takes considerably longer with earphones :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fresh Breeze

They introduced Friday evening study in our school now so that means I'm studying in school starting monday from:

Mon-Thur: 4 - 8
    Friday: 4 - 7
    Saturday: 9am - 1pm

With that, I'm still going to keep up with hobbies. Swimming in Fermoy on Friday nights and going to the pub on Saturday night. (I'm not a heavy drinker so I'll be fine)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

I cant wait til this year is over!
    I have to leave red cross, the RDF and media studies
    whilst still having to go to music (which I loved til I had to do it for the LC)
    this sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

I drank an awful lot in sixth year, never affected my school work or results that much. On the few occasions I went out to town on Sunday nights and was forced into school on Monday, I nearly collapsed. But school isn't all about learning! Ahem...

Advertisement