Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling alone in Thailand from October 28th?

• 08-10-2008 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,

Heading to Thailand for three weeks on Oct 29th on my way down to Oz.

I'm going on my own and am a bit worried that it will be difficult to meet people to hang out with. I understand that the fact that hostels are not really the preferred type of accommodation for travelers makes it a bit tricky getting chatting to people. Im 29 and have been around, but highfiving strangers all the time would become tiresome when youre looking to find some drinking buddies!

Any tips most welcome and if anyone else is going to be there at the same time and might be in a similar position feel free to get in touch.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Board-in-work

Hi Regulator,

Thailand is a great country to travel in. Very friendly, great weather and cheap. It depends on what you want to do in Thailand - islands, bangkok, Chaing Mai, jungle treking, temples, beach life, bars etc etc.

Also depends on what type of accomodation you want - backpacker - 5 * all the way !

Thailand is a great backpacker destination. I wouldn't worry about not meeting many people - you will. So, if you're backpacking - the usual haunt of the full moon parties and Koh San will ensure you meet lots of like minded drinking buddies. Go into a bar, alone in Thailand, and within minutes bar girls will be talking to you !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 traynoranthony

I am heading to Thailand on the 27th of october and I too am alone. 26 years old. I willl be heading around south east asia for about 10 weeks and then australia. I have a one way ticket and from what I have heard Thailand is simple to get around and easy to meet people. I plan to travel to chang mi up north then fly down to the islands and scuba dive mostly. I know two other girls that will be around in november and I will probably meet up with them there. Give me a shout if you want to exchange mails as i will be in Bangkok by the time you arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 aodhanomaonaigh

Hi

I spent a few weeks in Thailand in September and had a great time. Stayed in a hostel in Bangkok called New Siam 2. Plenty of friendly people there and they have internet access which is really handy. Its walking distance to the grand palace and right around the road from the Koh San road where you can meet loads of people. Speaking of meeting people we met the nicest couple while we were there. They run the Healing house. They give a range of treatments varing from massage, reki, facials, acupressure, reflexology etc. Well worth a visit and they have a reliable taxi driver ( a rariety in Bangkok!) they will send to come pick you up if you give them some notice. They are the nicest people ive met and you will come away feeling like a million dollars. There are plenty of dodgy massage palours around Bangkok so its nice to know this one you can rely on and make some good friends too. Dont miss a visit to them. It really did make our holiday!!!

http://www.theglobalhealer.com/about.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

I'm heading to Thailand Monday week, the 20th for 8 weeks before flying to Sydney. I'm going on my own too but dont think there will be any problems meeting people. Send me a mail when you get to Bangkok and if I'm still around then we can meet up for a jar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

I'm heading to Thailand Monday week, the 20th for 8 weeks before flying to Sydney. I'm going on my own too but dont think there will be any problems meeting people. Send me a mail when you get to Bangkok and if I'm still around then we can meet up for a jar.

I like your confidence! I wish i was the same. I am going in January on my own, going to be there 6 weeks and i am absolutely terrified! I am contemplating cancelling the whole trip i am sh*tting it so much!I might be emailing all of you in January! Best of luck lads :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

jimmypitt wrote: »
    I like your confidence! I wish i was the same. I am going in January on my own, going to be there 6 weeks and i am absolutely terrified! I am contemplating cancelling the whole trip i am sh*tting it so much!I might be emailing all of you in January! Best of luck lads :)

Guys, the majority of people travel solo so it is actually harder to mix when you are in a couple/group as you are less approachable.

My mate did SE Asia solo last year and he said at times he wished he had some time by himself because he was constantly meeting new people.

Check out this article as it certainly helps me anytime I have a freak attack

http://travelhappy.info/travel-tips/seven-reasons-to-go-travelling-solo/

Also, if you are on Facebook, there are loads of groups for people travelling to Thailand etc and you can arrange to meet up with people before you get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭jimmypitt

Guys, the majority of people travel solo so it is actually harder to mix when you are in a couple/group as you are less approachable.

My mate did SE Asia solo last year and he said at times he wished he had some time by himself because he was constantly meeting new people.

Check out this article as it certainly helps me anytime I have a freak attack

http://travelhappy.info/travel-tips/seven-reasons-to-go-travelling-solo/

Also, if you are on Facebook, there are loads of groups for people travelling to Thailand etc and you can arrange to meet up with people before you get there.

Cheers. Having a fair few panic attacks all right but that website im sure will chill me out as i get closer to the date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭crisco10

ah yeah, its easy to meet people. Another good place to meet people is on the jungle trek outta Chang mai. there is only about 8 of you living together for 3 days and 2 nights so you can make friends! a mate of mine went trekking first, met a few girls on it and actually spent the next 7 weeks travelling with them....and no he wasnt scoring any of them..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Hey, Im thinking of going away late Dec for 3 weeks on my own. Thailand is looking like a cool option for me. I wud love the jungle treking and suba diving. Where have you's booked flights and accomdation etc. So many sites etc so hard to get accurate and relaistic prices.

Advertisement