Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card stolen from hostel in Auckland, NZ

Options
  • 08-10-2008 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

..had my wallet in my jeans just beside my pillow... woke up in the morning and wallet was upside down in jeans... wasn't until 6pm that I realised CC was missing.. even though cash was still there....Found out from BoI that someone went on an all-day shopping spree, starting with breakfast and ending with the purchasing of some nice jewlery.. arrgh! 1st night in NZ and all...

Has this ever happened anyone before? The cops want me to provide them with a printed statement of CC Transactions, which I dont have and can only get from the fraud dept in BoI, and I'm 12hrs ahead of GMT so it doesnt open until tonight.. I got the Transactions over the phone but for some stupid reason they only want a printed statement (which in theory could be just made in word)

Anyway, if you are staying in ACB/Base Backpackers in Auckland, be careful and lock away all your stuff... after 6 months in Asia without a problem I let my guard down in 'one of the safest cities in the world'...

Any this is just a rant... had this happened anyone else before? Talk about bad 1st impressions.. I even had to cancel my Kiwi Experience trip for two days so I'm stuck in Auckland until Friday... any advice on what to do to pass the time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sorry to hear that, not a nice thing to happen at all. You should be covered by by insurance and if you havent got insurance then BOI will refund you as well I presume. Anyway do they not ask for a pin for all transactions like they do over here?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

OP - I've copied your thread to here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055394473 in order to get information. As for the NZ/Accomodation comments I'm moving this to the Australia/New Zealand forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I stayed in a hostel in Auckland (it may have been that one. Is there a courtyard in the middle of it?) before and people just walked in off the street during the day while the rooms were being cleaned and they presumed the doors were left open. The cleaner had just left the room that I was in, I was sitting beside the door behind the curtain and in walked a guy who I hadn't seen before in the room. I said hi, presuming he was staying there but he looked a bit shocked to see me then he went onto one of the empty beds with no sheets on him or a bag. He was there a couple of minutes then he got up and went into the next room. I took my bag with me and locked the door then went downstairs and told the receptionist. She went up to the room where he was and told him to get out.

A bit scarey how easily he got in.

Anyway you need to be really careful wherever you are, especially in Auckland and Rotorua. That sucks about your card but don't let it taint your trip.
    I had a few bells attached to my bags, I would wake up instantly if I heard them. Perhaps you could stick your wallet in someplace less conspicuous as your pockets next time? You are sharing a room with up to 7 people a lot of the time, and although they may seem sound, there are still chancers wherever you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If you have taken out theft insurence on your card then it's not so bad as your CC company will wing you some money on request werever you are in the world

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 stells

Hi There hope you get the Credit card sorted nothing worse my one piece of advise is to avoid all Base hostels the lack of security in them is actually frigtening I was in the one in Aukland for a few days horrible, randomers wandering about dirty rooms oh I could go on all I have heard from people is bad things about them places.In Rotorua someone nearly starting crying when they realised that Hot Rocks hostel where they booked was a Base one.

But dont let one incident ruin the rest of your stay cause its an amazing coutry and hopefully you will get it back from the insurance ( just be gald it wasnt a load of cash )

Have fun and enjoy the rest of you trip :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Hostels can be right dodge allright. Id be very carefull with my stuff around strangers...please dont let this taint your experience of NZ though, you dunno who the theif was could have easily not been a kiwi. Really sorry to hear about your card and hope it gets sorted but dont let this piss you off too much.

Get out of Auckland and come down to gorgeous Wellington or the South Island :D North Island may be warmer but down here's where the fun is at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭PhiliousPhogg

I've been travelling alone through the South Island for the last few weeks and I've been leaving my bag behind me when going to the toilet in cafes etc because there are no dodgy characters around, really. I mean it's a very welcoming place for tourists, I would never do the same in other countries.

Nobody seems to like Auckland, it might be a different story up there.

Still though I always sleep with my phone and wallet under my pillow. Probably should do the same with passport.

Advertisement