Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

surfboard stencil marker

Options
  • 08-10-2008 2:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

hey guys
    i recently started surfing and bought myself a bic 7'9.
    i'm having fantastic time on it btw.!!
    but i have noticed that quite a lot of other people on the beaches have
    the same board, which is fine, but i'd like mine to be just a little different.
    so.....
    i figured i'd make a stencil with a design on it, stick it to the board and color it in, then remove the stencil and hey presto.!

i have the stencil made out of ordinary printer paper and was wondering>>
    has anyone here done something similar and if so.
    what did you use to stick the stencil to the board, (i was thinking prit-stick or stg similar) and..
    what marker is suitable for coloring in??
    thanks for any suggestions
    jim!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Ah man, I had a load of links on painting boards on my old computer but its at home. Ill see if I can get someone to forward them to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

you could try sharpie markers, i hear the write on anything :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

there is special spray and paper u need which u can get in any artshop.the spray is an adhesive which i would highly recommend over prit stick!!:eek: u need clear plastic paper 2 use with this. then a stanley knife and away u go!!!!woooo:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Masking film for use with airbrushes is the most ideal thing to use. Its vinyl, clear, adhesive on one side and you use a scalpel/stanley to cut.

Put your paper design on the board, cover it with masking film, cut the shape and paint with acrylic paint with virtually no water to thin. The acrylic dries waterproof and is quite tough too. Make sure whatever paint/colour you use is water based otherwise it will damage the finish on the board.

The only place I found masking film recently was www.corkartsupplies.com

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Jaya Van Maele

Hi its a bad idea i have a bic fish 5,10 nice board but i cut out the vans logo on a peice of paper sellotaped the piece of paper on to my board i did it with spray paint but it scratches off when you scrape it with your nail of sand and takes off value off the board

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Cunning

thanks for the replies and suggestions!!

i think i'll bin my paper stencil and buy some of that acetate and glue,
    turns out prit-stick wont do for polyethylene anyhow.
    i think for a marker i've seen uni-posca, which is even advertised for surfboards. i wouldnt be going for spray paint!!/
    it may devalue the board, but if its good, or i die in a plane crash, the board will increase in value!! its a project, which will keep me off the streets for while, so thats a good thing, no?
    if i have any success i'll try to post a picture, otherwise use your imagination!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

get some decals off ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

any pics when you're finished would be much appreciated! one thing i've been meaning to do for a while. though got my board second hand (at least) and alraedy covered in wax... will strip it down and redesign later... sometime witihin the next year, im sure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Cunning

its the lambourgini bull its A2 size (4 x A4)
    printed out 4 a4 sheets of the bull

taped 2 A3 acetates together (largest acetate i could find in dublin!!)

Carefully cut out edges leaving a few bridges to keep it all together.

i've ordered a black "uni posca" pen from the internet

now i'm looking for spray on adhesive to stick it to the board and

investigating something to spray over the finished result to protect it.

now:
    i dont know where to put it on the board, on the top, where it'll get covered in wax, but where i can admire it when sitting on the board,
    or on the underside of the board, where it wont get covered in wax but i wont be able to see it ??
    which would you do?

231075824a9147073874l.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Notch000 wrote: »
    get some decals off ebay

do these stay on??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

why dont you put one on top and one on bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Uni posca marker's are waterbased...i.e.come off in water.Hope your protective covering idea works.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I knocked up a quick stencil of a penguin for a friend of mine, just sprayed it on with cheap assed blue paint and used cadboard and it all worked fine, still looks great after about a year stencils are alot more toughthan people give them credit for, just make sure all materials are dry before yo start off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Drew Brophy has kits for this kind of work - drewbrophy.com

Advertisement