Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EP3 Honda Civic Type R

Options
  • 08-10-2008 7:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice/opinions on the above really. Tried searching "EP3 Civic" and "Civic Type R" on here but didn't come across any results that really told me what I was looking to find out so thought I'd start a new thread.

Currently driving a MkIII Golf GTI 8v, and hoping to change in the new year. Wrong side of 30 (right side for insurance though) 2 dogs, no kids, doing about 20-25k miles a year. Need something with a bit of practicality (Rottweiler to transport) so saloon's have been ruled out. Wife hates diesel (the noise and the smell) so they're out (she'll be driving it too so yes, her opinion is important). So I'm wondering if some of you who've owned/own/test driven the EP3 Type-R might be able to help shed some light. ;)

The Golf is currently managing just over 36mpg, if the computer is accurate, which is probably a reflection of my driving style these days. I'm quite happy to lop along in top gear, but like to know there's some poke there if and when I need it. Can the Civic, with all its technological advances (in comparison with the old 8v Golf) manage similar mpg results?

The Golf boot isn't huge, but its still plenty big to fit our Rottweiler, a small sub and the necessary doggie guard - anyone able to tell me how the Civic boot compares?

While I'm managing 36mpg in the Golf at the moment, I still have odd days where I like to give it some beans on the backroads, so can anyone tell me what the Civic is like on uneven surfaces and when dealing with the likes of potholes and such? Is it fairly planted or can it be skittish?

Whats the rear seat space, access & practicality like?

Whats it like for maintenance? Our last car used to have the oil & filter changed every 5k, sparks every 10k and air filter cleaned out whenever it needed it (K&N cone). Is the Civic the sort of car that someone handy enough with spanners can look after or is it the sort of car that really requires a competent mechanic to look after it? How pricey are parts like discs, pads and other such consumables?

How easy is it to live with on a day to day basis? Any problems with A-pillar visibility, driving in traffic, rear visibility?

Trivial, and not a make or break thing, but did the Civic ever come with a factory sunroof?

Any suggestions for other alternatives? Not a fan of the MkIV Golf GTi, wife has suggested Legacy GTB estate but I'd be worried about the reliability and percieved family-man image that it could suggest. MkV Golf is well outside budget. Looking at spending maybe €10k come early next year (have seen Civics selling for 12k at the moment so hoping they'll drop a little more in the interm).

Does it have useable cup-holders? :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Evening bump ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Given your details a Honda Accord Type R would be far more suitable, IMO.

Isn't the Accord only available as a saloon though? Never heard of or seen an estate - though the Accord estates I have seen look like a hearse to me :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

You might have more luck posting on a UK forum, the Civic type R was far less common over here. I was in Surrey in 05 and they were everywhere.

Thanks for the suggestion Tim.

Only reason I posted on here was because I hoped I might get some more unbiased views. If I went to a Japanese specific forum they'd no doubt slate the fact that I drive a Golf, and would suggest nothing but Japanese alternatives. Thought this place had a broader spectrum of viewers/posters so would bring with it a more diverse list of suggestions and opinions. ;)

If there's no more replies tomorrow then I'll definitely go about finding a UK based motoring forum so see what people think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

EP3 CTRs were designed with raw power in mind, not economy and comfort. It has DOHC VTEC rather than SOHC VTEC. DOHC VTEC is designed with one goal and one goal only, a high bhp(as in around 100 bhp per litre) per litre ratio. Honda fanboys will start telling you how these engines have different cam profiles, and how the engine note changes at around 5,500 rpm.

The technological advances is the fact that although it is the same engine capacity as the Mk3 Golf, it has 197 bhp rather than 115 bhp. I don't think it'll be more economical, especially as with 16 rather than 8 valves, it's going to be more willing to rev hard, and the CTR has a reputation for having an engine that loves to be revved hard, and it does have a rev limiter at 8,000 rpm.

I don't think it really is suitable for somebody who is doing 20-25k a year. I would have thought someone doing 20-25k a year would want something closer to a VW for comfort tbh.

Oh and don't bother with a sunroof, air conditioning is vastly superior.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 tmulcahy365

Check out this long term test review of a civic from Evo Magazine.

If you scroll to the bottom of the page you'll see a list of updates, they had it for ten months.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/31664/honda_civic_typer.html

As for other options I'd look at a Seat Leon Cupra, should be reasonably cheap to buy from the UK and its a bit more spacious I reckon. I think they had a few versions so the power and mpg would differ.

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evolongtermtests/41323/seat_leon_cupra_r.html

Best of luck!

E92 - cheers for the input. Few questions though. I thought 16v engines were supposed to be more-economical than 8v? Tbh I'm quite surprised by the mpg of the Golf since I eased up my right foot in the last few months, but the return to a full tank has me believing it to be accurate. I knew the Civic probably wouldn't match it - but it at least close? Maybe 34ish?

I had considered an early MkV Golf TDI as a possibility after bringing one over from the UK earlier this year, but the wife isn't a VW fan or a diesel fan so that idea didn't gain much momentum. As for comfort and 25k a year, I'm getting more mature in my motoring but not an old fart just yet. ;) Did 30k in a Sunny GTI-R and never once did I feel it was uncomfortable even though it was never built with that in mind. :D

As for air-con vs sunroof. Last 3 cars have had a sunroof and I've found that I'm much more likely to use a sunroof than I am A/C. Its just a preference thing though, nice to have it, but wouldn't be crying if I couldn't.

Mr Mulcahy - thanks for the links - must go have a read now. :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Top Dog wrote: »
    Isn't the Accord only available as a saloon though? Never heard of or seen an estate - though the Accord estates I have seen look like a hearse to me :o

are you looking for a CTR or an estate?

the EP3 CTR is a fantastic car imo

yeas it has to be revved hard, and yes its noisy at 8300rpm in vtec but the fun factor is immense.

i dont know how it would deal with 2 adults, 2 kids and a dog though as the suspension would be hard as standard, so it might dampen the driving spirit everyday.

the accord as mentioned above may be another option but the accord type r stopped in 2001 iirc but the nerwer Euro R version are lovely.

heres the latest Accord Type R i could find : http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Accord/TYPE-R/1186012/

here are some pics of the newer Euro R which is a 2.0 litr 220bhp car

icetronixAccWHI575.jpg

icetronixAccWHI574.jpg

icetronixAccWHI573.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dohc

I have a Ep3 ctr and i use it everyday including for work and ok the suspension is bit hard but once in V-tec its worth it.I have a jdm version which is a harder more track orienated version.

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=53165&highlight=dohc

Thats a link to the ctr website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

dohc wrote: »
    I have a Ep3 ctr and i use it everyday including for work and ok the suspension is bit hard but once in V-tec its worth it.I have a jdm version which is a harder more track orienated version.

Gorgeous car mate :)

OP, i have an integra type r and use it daily. The suspension is hard, but you get used to it! Ive always been a fan of the EP3 so i say go for it :)

kceire wrote: »
    are you looking for a CTR or an estate?

heres the latest Accord Type R i could find : http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Honda/Accord/TYPE-R/1186012/
    I'm looking for something with a bit of performance and practicality (preferably hatch as saloon is too restrictive for my needs) ;)

Did you know there's 2 cars in that link? Type-R and a Tourneo (sp?)

Euro-R is gorgeous alright - hmmm. Wonder if I could get the Rottie to sit on the back seat :confused:

dohc - thanks for the link. Can you tell me how big the boot is? Can't seem to find a photo of it anywhere. :rolleyes:

Bryn - cheers.

Very nice car! Only seen 2 in the flesh so to speak (JDM that is) :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mint, fooking mint car.
    cant beat the JDM EP3's imo! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dohc

Its fairly Big ,I know that pic isn great but you can fit alot of stuff in well i get all my work stuff in,I dont no bout a rottie in the back it would dirrrrrty the seat but i am just a clean freak lol,

Thanks for the comments lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭irishpartyboy

I'm driving a 2002 EP3 CTR. It's 100% factory. It's a brilliant car to drive, great fun on open or back roads. Lots of power and great handling.

In terms of practicality, in order to fit my golf bag / clubs into the boot, I need to take out my longest clubs and put them in separately. There is a good bit of room in back seats for a hatchback, but the seats are material so would be need to be covered for a canine.

In terms of comfort, well there is none. It's rough and ready, hard suspension and uncomfortable on a longer journey.

In terms of upkeep / maintenance, I only put in genuine CTR parts, nothing spurious. I get it serviced through a mate and costs ~200 for a short service, ~400 for a long service depending.

Not sure if that answers all your questions, just my experience to date. I've been driving it for around 14 months. I've owned standard civics plus VTI in the past.

EDIT: Yes it has useable cup holders!

B.

Advertisement