Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung 480 or N95?

• 08-10-2008 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Thinking of gettinging one or the other. Ignoring the extra memory & GPS on Nokia N95 how do they compare for functionality, battery life, reliability, etc..?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

bwg66 wrote: »
    Thinking of gettinging one or the other. Ignoring the extra memory & GPS on Nokia N95 how do they compare for functionality, battery life, reliability, etc..?

To be honest, you're comparing two handsets that are very different in their use; one is touch-screen and the other is not. I would recommend you compare the two handsets on GSMArena.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i'll begin by saying that the 2 options you present are both good choices as they're probably the most solidly built and reliable handsets by both manufacturers in a good while (you'd expect so for the prices!)

texting on a touch screen will be an issue initially but is easily enough adapted to. i find battery life to be a moot point with current handsets as i find that with my level of use none of them will be alive after two days of use, they all fail at some point during the second day from being fully charged so i may as well just charge them every night. in saying that i will say that the N95 lasted longer into the second day. i had a problem with hearing calls sometimes on the tocco as the signal always seemed to be on the lower end of it's little scale. This issue persisted in two separately tested handsets. There are a lot more apps available to DL for the N95.

I really want to like the Tocco as generally i'm not a nokia fan and as the functionality is very cool but if i had to spend the money, it would be better spent on the N95

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

2nd the N95. Easy winner imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 bwg66

Thanks for fedback all. Nearly convinced it's the N95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭cahirhennessy

Loved my n95. It really is a great phone. I'm using a htc touch diamond now but the nokia could do just about everything. No experience with the samsung I'm afraid though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

I have a f480 for a while now, its a nice phone, the touch screen is nice and responsive and clear. Its a pleasant size, slightly thinner than a credit card and millimetre or two higher. I believe the n95 is a bit larger and a fair bit thicker.

Battery life on the f480 is good as far as touch screens go, about 3 days with average use, plummeting fast if you watch alot of movies or play with the screen alot.

Functionality is restricted on the f480 compared to the n95, as the n95 is a series 60 phone, there is an ocean of software available for these phones. If you just want the basics the f480 may have what you need though, its got 3g and quite a good web browser, it also has usual functions like a calender, converter calculator. The camera is quite good, better than the one on my previous samsung phone which had a very slow shutter speed. Im using an 8gig sdhc card with the phone and it works well.

There is also a movie player which works nicely, but you need to downsize videos to 320x240 to get it working. The MP3 player works well and sounds good. There is also a fm radio with rds. Additional software can be added through java, I gave google maps a whirl and it looks quite nice, javas come along way since the first phones that have supported it, but it doesnt match up to native s60 stuff. Its also worth noting theres a document viewer with the phone for pdf and word documents. My one problem with the phone is that they did not include a qwerty touch keyboard, which I think is a shame as it make web browsing and texting alot easier.

I think I would go with the general theme of the thread, if you want a phone that can do it all go for the n95, if you want something flash and dont need much in the way of software then the tocco is a worthwhile phone.

There may be a third option if you after a series 60 touchscreen though, nokia have just released the 5800 expressmusic, which looks like a really strong phone on paper, it has a 640x360 touch screen, gps, 3 megapixel camera and costs €280 sim free. Reports seem to vary between it launching this month or q1 2009. The only things to watch out for are the fact its touch screen is resistive so requires more than the gentle brush that works for the f480, and the fact that there might not be much s60 software with touch screen support.

http://www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-5800-2-en.shtml#9

Advertisement