Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driver Problems :(

Options
  • 08-10-2008 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭

Hey i recently bought parts and built myself a pc which i wanted mainly for gaming. However i am after running into a few problems which im hopin ye can help me with. Everything works fine until i go to play a game. Then the pc stutters. Like stops for 2 - 3 seconds before goin on again. It does not do it everytime i play a game. Sometimes they work fine. The pc is more then able to handle the games im playin. I have an ATI R690 motherboard. I installed all the drivers that came with the motherboard but when i go into drivers in windows most of the system drivers are microsoft ones still from 2001. I have tried updating them but windows cant find a better one. I have downloaded the drivers for that motherboard of the makers website but its the same thing. Can anyone help?? Has any one encountered problems like this before??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Stuttering in games usually equals sh|te power supply, or too little wattage. Happened to me a while back. Was using a 500W PSU of a sh|te make. In the long run, such things would have been bad for my system. What is the make & wattage of your PSU?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Power supply!! Really. Would never have thought of that. Not sure what make and model. In work now so cant check but will when i get home. Thanks for replyin!!

Corsair Powersupply 650W Black, ATX/EPS, 120mm Fan, 8xSATA, SLI

Thats my power supply. I'm not sure if that could be the problem it's not even nearly fully loaded!

Jus to lep you know my graphics card is a GeForce 8800T

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭robcon

the_syco wrote: »
    Stuttering in games usually equals sh|te power supply, or too little wattage. Happened to me a while back.
    And happening to me now with a bloody 9600gt! Not enough feckin amps! Ran a 3850 no bother.

Anyway if this is the correct one (www.silentpcreview.com/article813-page2.html) then the psu is not your problem as it has 52A on the +12v line.
    What drivers for the 8800gt are you using jonny?
    Get the latest ones here if you haven't already:
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

hey ya i really dont think its the PSU either! I have all the latest drivers for the graphics card. I even got a slightly older version of the drivers because i heard they were better but still the same problem!! I've tried everything I can think of at this stage. The only thing i can see is wrong still is the drivers for the motherboard. Has ne one else got a AMD 690 series motherboard that has had problems with the system drivers for it??

Robcon - Thats a shame, gettin such a decent graphics card only to find out there isnt enough power!! I feel your pain but at least u know whats wrong!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Hey Jonny,

I know you, you know me. I was talking with Bucks yesterday about the problem on MSN. It's a tough one to figure out, I'll say that much.

I think you're placing a big emphasis on what drivers are being used on your motherboard. While it is known that using manufacturer specific drivers is best, I doubt that using the Microsoft standard ones will cause much problems, unless your board really was not designed to run on Microsoft's drivers alone (I've never seen that happen, but hey, who knows?). However, I did suggest Bucks tell you to download the ones from AMD, but he told me you already had done.

I really fúckin' hope it's not the PSU that's causing the problems, because I will be receiving a new set of PC parts myself tomorrow from Komplett, with that exact PSU!

The problem could simply be that your specific card (vendor, etc.) just doesn't talk to your PCI-E slot on the motherboard very well. In all likelihood, trying a different card may actually help you. Can you look into the possibility of borrowing a PCI-E graphics card from someone who is willing to lend you it? Perhaps bring your PC to a willing person's house and just do a quick swap. Prefibly, you should try and get a hold of an nVidia card (one that's not too far off what you have).

Otherwise, here's what I suggest. You bought the motherboard from Komplett. Unfortunately you didn't purchase a graphics card from them, and even if you do now, it won't be through the same order. Therefore, Komplett cannot assume liability should any card you get from them in the future not work in your motherboard. What I suggest is that you contact Komplett and ask them what graphics cards have been known to work on the board, and try to pick one from there that's similar in capabilities as your 8800GTS. Or, take a chance and just buy one that you like (but try not to get an 8800GTS, get a 9 series instead, maybe a 9800GTX).

hey. ya im after shippin the whole thing up to my brother who has basically the same pc and he is goina try his graphics card in it and if that doesnt work he'll try one by one changin everything to see does it sort out the problem. So annoyin. Had people in work tryin to sort it. Had bucks had yourself and my brother and between all of ye there isnt much ye dont know! Bit of a head scratcher really!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

jonny666 wrote: »
    hey. ya im after shippin the whole thing up to my brother who has basically the same pc and he is goina try his graphics card in it and if that doesnt work he'll try one by one changin everything to see does it sort out the problem. So annoyin. Had people in work tryin to sort it. Had bucks had yourself and my brother and between all of ye there isnt much ye dont know! Bit of a head scratcher really!!
    That's grand then. When do you think you'll know the score? Sure, let us all know anyhow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

do u uninstall your graphics card drivers before u reinstall then?
    its worth checking the graphics card fan turns and is not clogged up with dust.
    reseat the graphics card in its slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Oh, forgot to ask: what settings are the graphics settings at? Have you tried running at a low res (800*600) to see how it handles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Spiritine

How much RAM do you have installed?

Advertisement