Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to handle this.

Options
  • 08-10-2008 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this should be in accomadation or PI but i'll go ahead anyway. I recently bought a house and had to redecordate the whole thing from scratch re-wire, floors etc. I rented out two rooms, one to a guy I know which is fine and another to a couple who I didn't know, when I rented I offered at a slightly lower rent on the basis that I still will be working on it bit by bit doing a lick of paint here and there but all the big works are done.

They moved in the end of last week and I explained that the heating isn't on yet because I am waiting on bord gais to come out and turn it on which they are doing today and we had a small issue with the electricity tripping out all teething issues I have to expect with everything just being done , the girl came in last night and had a complete go at me about this and that she doesn't want me working on the house while they are there, wants the heating on now and then proceeds to tell me that she's pregnant, now she never mentioned this before she moved in and given the situation I have an issue with it, I mean i'm 22 and I don't know if I want to be living with someone who is going to be hormonel and constantly flying off the handle do you guy's think this is something she should have brought up before moving in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,922 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if you're living there I think you're within your rights to turf them out immediately. If they're giving you grief after less than a week - get rid of them, not worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Sharing a house with a couple can be hard at the best of times but when you have someone as someone acting like this already, it's going to be trouble and only get worse!

Best to tell them that you've found out that you have to do major work and they would have to move out for a while.Nothing you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,651 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

If they knew about the work before moving in, they have no right to expect any different, and can be liable to lose their deposit if they break the lease early.

Obviously with a pregnant woman, do the right thing by her, as it is a stressful time, but it should not be at your expense, and frankly, they were idiots to move in and then complain about it.

I bet they were just hoping to get their foot in the door with the reduced rent, and then start making demands for their tenants rights without realising that, a) if they agreed to the work before hand, they have no leg to stand on and b) in a rent the room, owner occupied, situation, you can turf them out at any stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Kick them out now. Seriously, this is just going to get messy and headwrecking.

You are not responsible for her pregnancy - don't feel obliged to "do the right thing". I've done that myself a few times and have ALWAYS regretted it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As you are resident in the house yourself, they are living with you "under licence" and are not party to residential tenancy laws etc. You are within your rights to ask them to leave at any stage, without giving notice or reason. If you are being generous you might give them a week or two to find alternate accommodation- but you owe them nothing.

That said- it was cold for a few days (and is gone cold again) so if the house was totally unheated- perhaps she did have a point.

Your call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It was cold enough in the house so I agree she had a point, but we did have portable heaters that I gave , My problem is that she didn't mention she was pregnant and is now telling me this and saying there can't be any fumes from paint or dust in the house but I still have painting and little pieces to do which I mentioned beforehand and I can't just drop them now. She also asked me to start smoking outside, I told them before they moved in that I smoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Your house, your rules.

If she doesn't like there being paint and dust and noise while you do the work, then she can move out.

If she doesn't like you smoking, she can move out.

You're under no obligation to pander to her pregnancy. Because you're living in the house you can pretty much do anything you want, short of violating their privacy.

I would recommend asking them to move out. You don't want to be sharing a house with a couple *and* their baby. It would be far easier for them to move out and get settled elsewhere while she's in the early stages of pregnancy. Asking them to leave is doing what's best for them and for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Irishcrx wrote: »
    It was cold enough in the house so I agree she had a point, but we did have portable heaters that I gave , My problem is that she didn't mention she was pregnant and is now telling me this and saying there can't be any fumes from paint or dust in the house but I still have painting and little pieces to do which I mentioned beforehand and I can't just drop them now. She also asked me to start smoking outside, I told them before they moved in that I smoked.

As other psoters have said, as its your house and you are living there, they have no rights. Tell them its not working out and they have a week to find other accomodation. Otherwise, you could find yourself living like a tenant in your own home..

In addition, you're only 22 so standing up and telling them to feck off is probably a bit foreign to you, and they may be counting on that. You need to nip this one in the bud - procrastinating will make it worse.

As someone else said, they probably got their foot in the door and may start quoting a whole pile of things at you which they claim that you have to do.

THERE ARE NO LEGAL STATUTES OR REQUIREMENTS ON YOUR PART TOWARDS YOUR TENANTS (Just making that point clear). Pretty much the only right they have within your home is the right to privacy. Any other demands they may make are not backed up by any legislation.

Read this page, and memorise it:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/sharing-accommodation-with-your-landlord

Give them a week's notice and don't take no for an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I'd be inclined to give them slightly more notice than a week, bu otherwise all that seamus said is bang on, be gone with them!

• Advertisement

Indeed, a week may be a little short. If they've paid you till the end of the month, then no reason not to let them stay till then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Igy wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to give them slightly more notice than a week, bu otherwise all that seamus said is bang on, be gone with them!
    I agree with all above,and dont 4get about the change that will come when the baby arrives.Your house wont be your own,get rid ASAP..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Defo agree with the above posts having rented myself to tenants in the past, seen behaviour like this in the beginning, let it go, and seen it continue and get worse as time went on.
    Best to make an excuse now about the house not being ready than having it continue and escalate into a few months of trouble for just a few hundred quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

dude, you need to get her out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

you rented the room to a couple yeah ???

well baby is number 3 and u didnt agree that so out she goes

longer you leave it the harder it will be when she has bills etc all in her name and her own bank statements

now she may not have anything , get them out fast

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    you leave it the harder it will be when she has bills etc all in her name and her own bank statements

The OP is renting a room in his own house. There are no bills etc in anyone else's name, nor should there be. Irrespective of how long they stay there, they never gain any rights whatsover- unless the OP no longer lives in the property him/herself. Its up to the OP to tell them they are moving- and give them a date- and stick to it, irrespective of what excuses they give. They have *no* rights whatsoever.......

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this should be in accomadation or PI but i'll go ahead anyway. I recently bought a house and had to redecordate the whole thing from scratch re-wire, floors etc. I rented out two rooms, one to a guy I know which is fine and another to a couple who I didn't know, when I rented I offered at a slightly lower rent on the basis that I still will be working on it bit by bit doing a lick of paint here and there but all the big works are done.
    Am I the only one to feel sorry for this couple. I mean you say "all the big works are done" but then say there is no gas and the electricity doesn't really work as it should. I would epect rent to be more than "slightly lower" in this situation. As everyone has said you are within your rights to get rid of them but you cannot really blame them looking for adequate light and heat.

ZYX wrote: »
    As everyone has said you are within your rights to get rid of them but you cannot really blame them looking for adequate light and heat.
    They were told of the situation before they moved in. That removes any semblence of pity that I could possibly have had for them. They knew exactly what they were getting into, they have no right (legal or moral) to complain.

seamus wrote: »
    They were told of the situation before they moved in. That removes any semblence of pity that I could possibly have had for them. They knew exactly what they were getting into, they have no right (legal or moral) to complain.
    Sorry were they? OP never said. He said all the big works were done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

ask them to leave - they have no rights.
    forget about the bleeding hearts, this is your home.
    give them till the end of the month, or whatever rent they have paid.

there will not be a happy ending to this if you let it drag it out.
    it probably wont be pretty now, but at least they will have a chance to find a place without telling the next landlord she is pregnant :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ZYX wrote: »
    Sorry were they? OP never said. He said all the big works were done.
    They moved in the end of last week and I explained that the heating isn't on yet because I am waiting on bord gais to come out and turn it on which they are doing today and we had a small issue with the electricity tripping out all teething issues I have to expect with everything just being done

he didnt know the electricity was going to trip it, its a teeting issue.
    he told them the gas wasnt on.
    what more should he have done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Is there any way to compromise?

electric heaters, etc.

I don't think its an ideal situation for tennants to be in anyways, you probbably should have held back until the house is completed before bringing in tennants.

I'm with the tennants on this one I'm afraid.

subway wrote: »
    he didnt know the electricity was going to trip it, its a teeting issue.
    he told them the gas wasnt on.
    what more should he have done?
    I think we are reading it in different ways and perhaps the OP will come back to explain. My reading is, they moved in and then were told heating wasn't working which is a little too late. I see you are reading it that they knew there was no heating and moved in anyway. I think OP would have phrased it that way, if that is what he meant but perhaps he will explain more.

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Is there any way to compromise?

electric heaters, etc.

I don't think its an ideal situation for tennants to be in anyways, you probbably should have held back until the house is completed before bringing in tennants.

I'm with the tennants on this one I'm afraid.
    point is, there not tenants, they're lodgers.
    maybe the situation isnt ideal, but they went in "eyes open" and if they arent geting on with the OP, whose house they are lodging in, he has the right to ask them to leave without notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

seamus wrote: »
    In addition, you're only 22 so standing up and telling them to feck off is probably a bit foreign to you, and they may be counting on that. You need to nip this one in the bud - procrastinating will make it worse.

As someone else said, they probably got their foot in the door and may start quoting a whole pile of things at you which they claim that you have to do.

THERE ARE NO LEGAL STATUTES OR REQUIREMENTS ON YOUR PART TOWARDS YOUR TENANTS (Just making that point clear). Pretty much the only right they have within your home is the right to privacy. Any other demands they may make are not backed up by any legislation.

Read this page, and memorise it:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/sharing-accommodation-with-your-landlord

Give them a week's notice and don't take no for an answer.

I have often heard people say that a tenant has no rights under the law just because that tenant is staying under the same roof as the landlord. It is true to say that the Private Residential Tenancies Board doesn't have jurisdiction - it says so in that legislation. That said, I don't know why people are so sure that the tenant has no rights. Okay, it does say that on the Citizen's Information website, but I think that there is no reason to believe that all of the previous law relating to tenants cannot apply. (I am prepared to be shot down in flames if I can be shown to be wrong). I am not saying the tenants DEFINITELY HAVE the rights, I just don't see why they wouldn't have them, and I think people should be very careful about throwing a tenant out on the street, because they might end up looking down the business end of a court injunction - especially in a case where you have a pregnant woman.

So, give your tenants until the end of the month for sure, if they have paid that far, but be very careful, and see if you can get them to leave amicably.

(I am prepared to be shot down in flames if I can be shown to be wrong).

Sharing accommodation with your landlord

Tenants in Ireland who share accommodation with landlords are not covered by landlord and tenant legislation. Many tenants are not aware of this so this document aims to sets out the differences between this living arrangement and other types of rented accommodation
    • Your landlord is not obliged to provide you with a rent book or a statement of rent paid
    • They do not have to ensure that your accommodation meets any minimum physical standards
    • Any notice you may get of the termination of the tenancy is at the discretion of your landlord (although they are obliged to give reasonable notice, the specifics of this notice may vary)
    • Your landlord is not obliged to register with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB)
    • You cannot use the dispute resolution service of the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) if a disagreement arises between you and your landlord
    • You are not protected by the Equal Status Acts 2000-2004 which prohibit discrimination on grounds of age, sex, religion, race and disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

I can't believe a couple who have just found out they're going to have a baby still want to live under someone else's roof!
    I would be all for trying to get our own apartment. They're not that difficult to come by nowadays and the rents are going down as well. I say, give them two weeks or a month. If you don't feel like you want to say it to them alone, get a friend or a parent who will be on your side. I have lived with a pregnant woman (my sister) and it was no fun to the point that we hated each other. And that was family mind you.
    So get rid as soon as possible. Hormones are for the OH to deal with... you will find a new lodger no rpoblem. Especially if yo're saying you don't charge too much.

Okay, it does say that on the Citizen's Information website, but I think that there is no reason to believe that all of the previous law relating to tenants cannot apply. (I am prepared to be shot down in flames if I can be shown to be wrong).
    The vast bulk of tenants rights such as notice periods, minimum standards, Part 4 tenancy and so forth, come from the Residential Tenancies Act of 2004, which states:
    3 - (2) Subject to section 4 (2), this Act does not apply to any of the following dwellings—

(g) a dwelling within which the landlord also resides
    Citizens Information generally doesn't list incorrect advice :)

Where a contract (written or implied) exists between the landlord and tenant, it's best to stick to those terms. Which is why I revised my recommendation of notice from a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I remember researching this stuff in the past. If someone is living with the landlord or the lease holder, they are a licensee (?) and only need to be given "reasonable notice" to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Are they extremely hard up financially?
    Maybe that would explain why they are renting a room off you and the stress of that and the pregnancy are getting to her which is why is gave out to you?

I think you need to tell them that it isn't going to work out and maybe work out a temporary solution with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement