Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to move to 3

• 08-10-2008 10:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

I'm going to move to 3 soon so I'm wondering what way is best what with different deals out there. So is it best to use CPW, 3 Store or online?

I know I can get €50 for my old 6300 in CPW.

Is the €50 refer a friend still operating and do you need a special promotion code?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

You dont in the first place. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd not go to CPW as they will just try to sell you some other useless insurance stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

robinph wrote: »
    I'd not go to CPW as they will just try to sell you some other useless insurance stuff.

he could always not take the insurance......

cpw is often cheaper than the network shops

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    he could always not take the insurance......

cpw is often cheaper than the network shops

True, but you have to be able to withstand their bullying. ;)

Is there actually a difference in the same handset prices that CPW offer compared to the networks own shops though, surely those prices are set by the network depending on each package?

True, but you have to be able to withstand their bullying. ;)
    this is true, it all depends on what sales assistant you get
    Is there actually a difference in the same handset prices that CPW offer compared to the networks own shops though, surely those prices are set by the network depending on each package?

yes there is a difference. cpw doesn't necessarily buy their handsets from the networks, they get some from england and they have special offers too etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

yeah cpw staff carry big sticks to beat you into buying insurance, last i heard. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Listen to him.

yeah cpw staff carry big sticks to beat you into buying insurance, last i heard. :rolleyes:

i used to strap them to a chair and put pins under their finger nails until they bought it

I knew it was something like that, but I had blocked out the memory of the pins as it was far too distressing for me. I'm going to find a corner to cry in now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

jmccrohan wrote: »

+1 they are crap!

• Advertisement

I knew it was something like that, but I had blocked out the memory of the pins as it was far too distressing for me. I'm going to find a corner to cry in now. :D

and if you cry on your phone and break it, don't you worry because that's covered by your insurance :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you any local shop you can go to?, not one of the Big brands, CPW etc...

You'll probably get a lot better service, a cheaper phone, a lend phone if yours goes for repair, honest independent advice and when you go back for your upgrade you'll probably have the same person behind the counter.....I allways buy local and Independent it's a lot easier when things go wrong to have the personal service...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,254 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You don't need insurance with a 3 phone, they still do the €50 thing....

You'll probably get a lot better service, a cheaper phone, a lend phone if yours goes for repair, honest independent advice and when you go back for your upgrade you'll probably have the same person behind the counter.....I allways buy local and Independent it's a lot easier when things go wrong to have the personal service...

hmmmmmm, i wonder where you work ;)
    You don't need insurance with a 3 phone, they still do the €50 thing....

unless you don't want your contract to be extended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

Actually I've worked in a big-name brand store and a small, family owned shop and I can guarantee the service was better in the big chain store. In the small shop it was all about the wealthy and/or corporate customers and an individual customer got very little attention.

As well, I have to add, I'm on the 3 network for my phone and actually find them to be very good. I've had one issue with them the whole time (my internet stopped working on my handset) and they had it settled in 3 days, not a lot of fuss and my bills are an awful lot lower than they were ever on Vodafone, O2 or even Meteor. If money wasn't an object, I'd be on O2, but they're awfully stingey when it comes to upgrades and the internet costs a fortune to use so 3 it is!

I'd go to CPW, get your trade-in, don't think anyone else does that. Plus I hate buying in network shops, they always spin some sort of crap like they're the only network in the world and that annoys me.

If you don't want insurance, don't take it. I usually do for the first few months and then scrap it when I figure I'd be happy if my phone broke cos I'm tired of it :-) Plus it makes the sales guys happy and having worked in retail I like to make (nice) sales people happy, even if I cancel it the next month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    hmmmmmm, i wonder where you work ;)

unless you don't want your contract to be extended
    The extension of your contract by getting a replacement for ?50 is no longer in place, also 3 will credit ?50 to your second bill if you sign up to bill pay with them and port from another network (you had to be bill on the other network too)

Walkman wrote: »
    The extension of your contract by getting a replacement for ?50 is no longer in place,
    very nice. Since when is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

Walkman wrote: »
    also 3 will credit ?50 to your second bill if you sign up to bill pay with them and port from another network (you had to be bill on the other network too)

Does this apply only in the 3 stores?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

so much wrong with that statement its hilarious, incorrect advice is more apt, so much of my working day was spent cleaning up the mistakes of indy dealers it wasnt even funny

"but Mary in my local store said...."

Marys an idiot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Canada J Soup

Don't under any circumstances enter into any kind of a contract with 3. Their understaffed and undertrained call centres provide the worst customer service you will ever encounter. Expect to spend 45 minutes in a hold queue anytime you need any type of support, but don't expect the person who eventually picks up the phone to be able to assist you in any way. Getting the services you signed up for properly configured for can take months, and they'll suspend them unannounced if, for example, you make more calls then they think you should while roaming. Want to get your phone unlocked after 8 months so you can use a foreign SIM instead? Pay ALL your remaining monthly bills in advance for the rest of your contract.

I'm counting the days until I can take my business elsewhere without having to give 3 any more money then is absolutely necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭opus

After a job change I had to sort out my own contract a few months back, went to three mainly as their pay monthly plan looked like a good mix for calls, texts & a bit of internet. Haven't had any problems so far & I actually had their Indian customer service centre call me this week to see if everything was going ok which was a first.

Only downside for me is that they have no webtexts & texts abroad are not included in the bundle. Have an old O2 speakeasy SIM that I keep alive just for the free international text from the o2 website..

I just wanted a free phone to start with so any of the phone shops would have done. Reason I chose CPW was that there was a big queue in the 3 shop at the time so I walked the 50 metres down the street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

just buy a sim card

these guys put so much shyt on their locked phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

Jezz peoples experiences of 3 are ranging from good to terrible with nothing in the middle.

I'm happy enough with Three, wouldn't say delighted though if thats middle enough for you. ;)

The main things for me are the data bundles and that I get calls to and from the UK, as well as UK roaming data, included in my minutes and none of the other networks come close to matching either of those deals.

Advertisement