Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do testers check reverse lights?

Options
  • 08-10-2008 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi..am in bit of fix..my driving test is tomorrow morn and just realised this morn that one of my reverse lights is gone..all other lights working- am out at work all day today....will have to try and get to garage in morn before my pre-test and the real test...(I have spare bulb but tried for about half hour this morn to remove the back light section- something is stuck..I can unscrew most of the section but however much I pull and tug, I can't get the whole piece off and get in to where the reverse light is) I wont be back til late tonight and have nobody I can call out late or really early tomorrow...anyways...the question remains, if anybody can tell me do testers usually check reverse lights- I presume they can ask but is it usual?
    I hope to have it fixed but if worse came to worst....
    Any help really appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Well in both times that i've done my test I've never been asked to put on the reverse lights. Just the brakes and indicators at the rear and dipped, indicators and beams for the front.

If you can't get it done in time then there's not much you can do about it and just hope they don't check.

• Moderators Posts: 51,799 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Just check the this document regarding final checks for the test on the rsa site. No mention of reverse lights. Also a lot of new cars only have 1 reverse light.

EDIT: also did 2 tests and never was asked to test reverse lights.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I only did the test onse but i think i was asked to put it in reverse so they could check the lights i could be wrong but then again it could be diffent testers will ask some might ask some might not ask

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sinorita

Heya,When i had two tests, they never asked about my reverse lights. i only have one reverse light as i have a toyota yaris. so i wouldn't worry about it. you'll be grand.best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

It may be that there are plastic clips holding in the rear lamp unit. Open up the boot and see can the board holding the bulbs be removed from behind/inside. If it is that type its really quick/simple to change a bulb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

reverse lights are not a statutory requirement.
    from the rules of the road regarding lights at the rear of a car:
    At the back:
    Two red lights (commonly known as tail lights)
    Two red brake lights
    Two red reflectors
    Number plate lighting
    Direction indicator lights (amber only)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 dublinrose

thanks for all that..I found out that I do only actually have 1 reverse light!!!!so all systems go for tomorrow!!!!thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

dublinrose wrote: »
    thanks for all that..I found out that I do only actually have 1 reverse light!!!!so all systems go for tomorrow!!!!thanks again

Ha, i did think it was odd having two!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Ha, i did think it was odd having two!
    Some imported cars tend to have two.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

macroman wrote: »
    Some imported cars tend to have two.
    Aren't all cars imported? (unless we have loads of secret car assembly plants that I'm unaware of! ;)).

Of course I realise that you are referring to used imports. I just find it strange that people don't consider new cars as 'imports'. :)

Alan - many makes purchased new here have two reverse lights including my MB but the use of two rear fogs is being phased out to avoid confusion with brake lights. A single reverse light is often counterbalanced with a rear fog on the other side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement