Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

Milly82 wrote: »
    Going up to Newry tomorrow - can't wait. Does anyone know if any shops are doing pound for euro at the mo?

Thanks.
    dont forget to send coughlan a postcard while your up there in fact maybe everyone that goes up should do it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I was there last night. Sainsburys giving 83p to €. The toy shop "Toyztore" across the road give 1£ for 1 Eur put the prices are the same as the likes of Smyths here.There's no savings to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Can someone confirm that there is a Sainsburys in Sprucefield - it's been mentioned a few times but not listed as a retailer on the Sprucefield website.

TIA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Stillnotworking

V1llianous wrote: »
    Can someone confirm that there is a Sainsburys in Sprucefield - it's been mentioned a few times but not listed as a retailer on the Sprucefield website.

TIA.

From the horses mouth

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shoppingandservices/storelocator/searchresults.htm?query=Lisburn

And it was there last week.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Anyone know if there's much money to be saved on the likes of car servicing in ni (specifically bmw main dealer service) ? Wondering if it would be worth while booking the car into a garage up there for a service next time I head up. Could be a pita as there'd be nowhere to dump bags during the day but at the same time I wouldn't have to worry about parking for the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

V1llianous wrote: »

TIA.

It's not in the Sprucefield Shopping Centre itself...

At the roundabout outside the Shopping Centre, Sainsburys is at the opposite exit. So they are VERY close.

If that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

dont forget to send coughlan a postcard while your up there in fact maybe everyone that goes up should do it :D

Now that is a cracking idea!!!:D

I also find it nearly impossible that Mary Coughlan, being from Donegal has never shopped across the border? or maybe she does and wont admit it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

mick_irl wrote: »
    It's not in the Sprucefield Shopping Centre itself...

At the roundabout outside the Shopping Centre, Sainsburys is at the opposite exit. So they are VERY close.

If that makes sense.

Thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

i recorded that progremme that was on tv3 last night, does anyone know if it's worth watching?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

There is nothing in it that we already did not know. It is worth viewing purely to see the Tanáiste whinging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

looks like newry is going to be extremely busy over the weekend. i think im going to have to make my journey to belfast when the shops are shut to avoid sitting on th m1 for 3hours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

i recorded that progremme that was on tv3 last night, does anyone know if it's worth watching?

I was wrong !
    There is something more annoying than Karen Coleman on Newstalk !

Karen Coleman on TV3 :D

If you're paying attention to what going in in this country and our nearest neighbour, there was nothing new or revelatory in the programme.

The mother of 4 who claimed to be spending €50 a week on school lunches ! Have you ever heard of home made sandwiches ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I have an easier way of saving money, stop buying stuff you don't need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Bond-007 wrote: »
    It is worth viewing purely to see the Tanáiste whinging.

lol, that was the highlight of it in fairness :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There is nothing in it that we already did not know. It is worth viewing purely to see the Tanáiste whinging.

In case that ould sow hasnt noticed, the whole shopping around thing is now working. If half of us didnt go North, then there would be NO sales on now in Dublin. The more we do it, the more the retailers have to sit up and compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

16 page pull out in tomorrow Irish Sun about where to go shopping in the North.
    I'd guess most of it was copied from here :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Typical that I have had my shopping trip planned for the last 2 months, day off work etc, and half of the tabloid monkies in the country are gonna be up there this weekend after getting the idea because of this week's media coverage.

Are there any potential downsides to what is now a mass-awareness of the difference in value between north & south? (Please don't say economic crash, money being taken out of the economy etc - Im talking on far more ignorant, un-informed, and selfish terms. i.e. Is this mass awareness gonna ruin it for everyone??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

consultech wrote: »
    Are there any potential downsides to what is now a mass-awareness of the difference in value between north & south?

NI retailers get greedy and increase their margins ? Who knows ?

Even if you're going past Newry, from Dublin, you're still at risk of getting delayed at the bottleneck of a roundabout at the railway bridge. If the recent media hype contributes to an increase in traffic, the whole town could be gridlocked all weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

TarfHead wrote: »

Even if you're going past Newry, from Dublin, you're still at risk of getting delayed at the bottleneck of a roundabout at the railway bridge. If the recent media hype contributes to an increase in traffic, the whole town could be gridlocked all weekend.
    yeah i just think this weekend is going to be mad. near to xmas, and all this publicity. i have to drive from dub to belf and i don't think i am going to risk the m1 during shopping hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelves/Beer_in_Asda.html

here's a link to all the drink specials in the big supermarkets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Don't forget it's december children's allowance on tuesday, this combined with the VAT cut and the media's continuing insistence on telling anyone who hasn't been living under a rock about all the savings to be found...I reckon the 2nd half of next week could be very bad in Newry...and tbh you'd be mad to attempt Newry at the weekend between now and the big day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

NI retailers get greedy and increase their margins ? Who knows ?.

IMO that is highly unlikely - the shops in NI that are doing well are in very localised areas - ie border regions and Belfast. Elsewhere in NI (untouched by euros) retailing is as stricken as it is everywhere else in the UK/Ireland. Tesco, Sainsbury and co. can't raise their margins locally in Newry etc (there would be outcry), and I think increasing margins for all stores is a non starter. The trade from RoI is not so significant that it outweighs the importance of the local consumer throughout NI.

Go Armagh or Dungannon & Portadown/Craigavon via Armagh (N2 - Blayney - Keady).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

mailburner wrote: »
    http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelves/Beer_in_Asda.html

here's a link to all the drink specials in the big supermarkets

this is the big saver for all tiger lovers like myself

this was 11.55 in the supermarket last weekend
    under a euro a bottle
    it's some saving

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/Shopping/ProductDetails.aspx?Store=1&Product=9806

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

when heading to newry take the exit for jonesborro head into meigh take a right at johnny murphys pub you are now on the forkhill road straight to the roundabout not that much traffic can save you half an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

What are consols like up there? Xbox 360 in mind just shoppin around. Anybody have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭darkskol

which one of the main supermarkets is usually best for alcohol as I will be heading up from dublin soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭465

During my last trip to Enniskillen I noticed that the big Supermarkets had posters outside saying they would give a conversion rate of 80p sterling for .
    every 1 euro spent.
    I used my credit card though and the rate I got was about 77p per euro plus
    the A.I.B standard 1.25% conversion charge.
    I know the rates are ALL DIFFERENT NOW but I am assuming the supermarkets will offer relative conversion for the current rate when you use euro notes.

So my question is.........
    Is it better to use euro notes, credit card or sterling cash?
    What do you guys think?

I will be going to Enniskillen shortly and would appreciate feedback on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

465 wrote: »
    During my last trip to Enniskillen I noticed that the big Supermarkets had posters outside saying they would give a conversion rate of 80p sterling for .
    every 1 euro spent.
    I used my credit card though and the rate I got was about 77p per euro plus
    the A.I.B standard 1.25% conversion charge.
    I know the rates are ALL DIFFERENT NOW but I am assuming the supermarkets will offer relative conversion for the current rate when you use euro notes.

So my question is.........
    Is it better to use euro notes, credit card or sterling cash?
    What do you guys think?

I will be going to Enniskillen shortly and would appreciate feedback on this.

You are probably better off paying in Euro, I was in Asda Enniskillen today and they offered 83.1p per Euro, get there early, I arrived at 10am and there was a typical wait of 1 trolley per cash register, on my second trolley load an hour later there was a wait of 3 or more trolleys per cash register, it was pretty busy by 12 when we left. They are out of Absolut Vodka, its selling 2 bottles for £18, the bargain shelf was empty but I found 6 bottles in the Vodka section and grabbed 2 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I headed up today. 20 minutes to get through Newry at 11 o'clock (I was going on to Banbridge but the traffic looked like I was backed up into the city from the end of the dual carriageway - on a Wednesday). They also said there was rock blasting going on from 12-4pm and that there would be delays on the relief road.

The Outlet at Banbridge was pretty empty and very few stores offering sterling to euro parity. I'm underwhelmed by this place, I must admit.

On then to Belfast to do the most of the shopping - Debenhams were offering 85p to the Euro. I reckon I saved over €100 by buying stuff there instead of paying the extortionate price they charge down south (slightly greater than 50% whereas the exchange rate was adding 17%).

And finally to Sprucefield on the way home, in with a list of items for Sainsburys but I still managed to spend a fortune. It was absolutely not busy, but the off licence looked like it had suffered recently. They had no regular bottles of Southern Comfort (@€;14), and no Miller (MGD), so I came home via Newry (after 7pm) where it was equally quiet, but the shelves looked pretty bare and still no Southern Comfort :( There is a new Next Home opening beside Sainsburys this Friday, and Currys had a sign saying they were already reducing the price of VAT rated items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I was in Enniskillen today, hit Asda like always then hit M&S in the nearby shopping centre. The missus bought something (don't know what she actually bought as I wasn't listening to this part :) ) and she said it cost £39/€46 in the north and €69 in Liffey Valley :eek: Thats a saving of €23 on 1 item of clothing. From now on the missus will use Liffey Valley to try on things, then we'll buy the actual item up north :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭tantipie

I headed up today. 20 minutes to get through Newry at 11 o'clock (I was going on to Banbridge but the traffic looked like I was backed up into the city from the end of the dual carriageway - on a Wednesday). They also said there was rock blasting going on from 12-4pm and that there would be delays on the relief road.

The Outlet at Banbridge was pretty empty and very few stores offering sterling to euro parity. I'm underwhelmed by this place, I must admit.

On then to Belfast to do the most of the shopping - Debenhams were offering 85p to the Euro. I reckon I saved over €100 by buying stuff there instead of paying the extortionate price they charge down south (slightly greater than 50% whereas the exchange rate was adding 17%).

And finally to Sprucefield on the way home, in with a list of items for Sainsburys but I still managed to spend a fortune. It was absolutely not busy, but the off licence looked like it had suffered recently. They had no regular bottles of Southern Comfort (@€;14), and no Miller (MGD), so I came home via Newry (after 7pm) where it was equally quiet, but the shelves looked pretty bare and still no Southern Comfort :( There is a new Next Home opening beside Sainsburys this Friday, and Currys had a sign saying they were already reducing the price of VAT rated items.
    was it worth going to the outlet centre??we heading uo north on mon and dont know where to start,,lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I was up in Ikea today.

First warning - don't bother with the online stock checker - I checked before I left, when I was halfway there and again when I got home and it told me there were plenty of the item I wanted. Got there to find none at all (bit of a wasted trip, though my friend got what he wanted). Asked the staff about it and they said "Ah yeah, people steal things, don't trust the website, phone here first before travelling." I wouldn't mind so much, but this was a huge item - not a teaspoon or anything.

Anyway, stopped into Sainsbury's before heading off to pick up something to nibble on in the car home. Everyone here's been mentioning the savings on drink, but as I walked through an aisle, a price caught my eye. Sanitary towels. Always Ultra, to be precise. £1. That's about €1.19 at the current exchange rate. Checked on the Tesco website when I got home. The same pack here is €2.99.

There's no way that can be explained by VAT rates, wages and other overheads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LeahBaby

Got my christmas beers yesterday.

2 Crates of bulmers
    15x750ml Smirnoff ice
    4x500ml WKD
    1 Litre Vodka = €125

2 crates here alone is 106.!
    Smirnoff Ice is 7euro for 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭MORISH

LeahBaby wrote: »
    Got my christmas beers yesterday.

2 Crates of bulmers
    15x750ml Smirnoff ice
    4x500ml WKD
    1 Litre Vodka = €125

2 crates here alone is 106.!
    Smirnoff Ice is 7euro for 1

That's great value, i'v gone up north a few times and buy a bit of alcohol but i'll def be heading up before christmas, and now with the reduced VAT rates in UK we'll be singing all the way up the M1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Is it easy to spot the conversion rates that are being offered? Are they posted in a few places around the shop or are they not that noticeable?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They are normally displayed near the tills. There is never a problem getting the rates however all change is given in sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Rosielee

Hi does anyone know what the current exchange rate Argos Newry are giving. Just reserved something for the young lad and just wondering how much it will work out at ?

Thanks for all replies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Rosielee wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know what the current exchange rate Argos Newry are giving.
    You could give them a call on 048 30252908

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭aoife161

Posted this twice -

Went up North yday to a couple of places. Took 2.5 hours from just outside Wicklow town.
    First stopped off at The Westwood Shopping Centre, there's Asda here they were offering .83 if you wanted to pay in Euro. Found the following good prices.
    Asda
    24 Charmin toilet paper £5/€6.02 v local Tesco 4 charmin €3.95
    Quatro Razor £3/€3.61 v cheapest I could find was €10.99
    Micky Finns drink £4.62/€5.57 v €13.49
    Good value on washing powder and shower gels.

Superdrug
    16 ibuprofen £.99
    16 paracetomal £.39
    Tommy girl 30ml £9.99

Headed then to Forestside and the clothes prices were different, alot of shops using .66 as you can see the sterling/euro prices on them. In Sainsburys they had a 40" Sony Bravia tele for £599.

Stopped in Tesco (got .84 rate) in Newtownbreda on the way back and got the following -
    Smirnoff 1 litre £13/€15.48 v local tesco €23.99 not sure if that includes or excludes 20% discount they're running at the mo
    Tropicana 1.75 litre orange juice £2/ €2.38 v local tesco €4.99
    Pringles tube .74c/€.88 v local tesco on offer 2 for €3
    Ribena 1Ltr £2/€2.38 v local tesco €4.15
    Shaws Ham £1.04/€1.24 v €3.49 (50% free)
    French Fancies cakes £1.76/€2.09 v €3.25
    Lindemans wine x 3 £10/€11.90 v €6.18 each here incl 20% discount @ tesco
    Jack Daniels 70cl £16.54/€19.69 v special at tesco €26.89 usually €28.89
    Now 71 CD £12.71/€15.13 V €19.95

Good value on meat and clothes too. ;)

Last stop was Sprucefield, huge Marks and spencers here.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

aoife161 wrote: »
    Smirnoff 1 litre £13/€15.48
    You have good taste :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭MORISH

aoife161 wrote: »
    Posted this twice -

Went up North yday to a couple of places. Took 2.5 hours from just outside Wicklow town.
    First stopped off at The Westwood Shopping Centre, there's Asda here they were offering .83 if you wanted to pay in Euro. Found the following good prices.
    Asda
    24 Charmin toilet paper £5/€6.02 v local Tesco 4 charmin €3.95
    Quatro Razor £3/€3.61 v cheapest I could find was €10.99
    Micky Finns drink £4.62/€5.57 v €13.49
    Good value on washing powder and shower gels.

Superdrug
    16 ibuprofen £.99
    16 paracetomal £.39
    Tommy girl 30ml £9.99

Headed then to Forestside and the clothes prices were different, alot of shops using .66 as you can see the sterling/euro prices on them. In Sainsburys they had a 40" Sony Bravia tele for £599.

Stopped in Tesco (got .84 rate) in Newtownbreda on the way back and got the following -
    Smirnoff 1 litre £13/€15.48 v local tesco €23.99 not sure if that includes or excludes 20% discount they're running at the mo
    Tropicana 1.75 litre orange juice £2/ €2.38 v local tesco €4.99
    Pringles tube .74c/€.88 v local tesco on offer 2 for €3
    Ribena 1Ltr £2/€2.38 v local tesco €4.15
    Shaws Ham £1.04/€1.24 v €3.49 (50% free)
    French Fancies cakes £1.76/€2.09 v €3.25
    Lindemans wine x 3 £10/€11.90 v €6.18 each here incl 20% discount @ tesco
    Jack Daniels 70cl £16.54/€19.69 v special at tesco €26.89 usually €28.89
    Now 71 CD £12.71/€15.13 V €19.95

Good value on meat and clothes too. ;)

Last stop was Sprucefield, huge Marks and spencers here.:)
    Mmmm! LOVE JD, so i'll def be getting that on my next visit.

aoife161 you got a lot of shops in, in a day. Hats off to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Smirnoff and Bacardi one litre bottles now £11 in Sainsburys this weekend, so less than half the price of Tesco Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Smirnoff and Bacardi one litre bottles now £11 in Sainsburys this weekend, so less than half the price of Tesco Dublin.

That's exceptional value
    I've not been up yet but getting tempting.
    The fact that I don't own a car kinda limits what you can do, you know. I'll rope someone in :)

I don't know what distributors charge ROI pub owners but it's getting to the stage where pub owners should be checking out if they can make a saving on these btls of spirits
    Hope they don't buy all the stock!

micmclo wrote: »
    That's exceptional value
    I've not been up yet but getting tempting.
    The fact that I don't own a car kinda limits what you can do, you know. I'll rope someone in :)

I don't know what distributors charge ROI pub owners but it's getting to the stage where pub owners should be checking out if they can make a saving on these btls of spirits
    Hope they don't buy all the stock!

Was just thinking that myself. Even if publicans pay 20euro for a litre thats only around 50cent for a shot and they sell it for 4-5 euro in pubs in Dublin! It's a joke down south. Of course it would be illegal for publicans to import stock from North without paying the correct customs and duties here in South but do you think the shadier publicans would be concerned with such legalities ;) A lot of them water down the vodka too in nightclubs where drunken punters won't notice the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

= Of course it would be illegal for publicans to import stock from North without paying the correct customs and duties here in South but do you think the shadier publicans would be concerned with such legalities ;)

What you talking about Ronbyrne2005, pub owners take ethics very seriously! ;)
    Do you not remember early this year Tesco were selling crates of 24 cans at cost price?

The pub owners didn't like cheap drink this one bit, it encourages binge drinking (not to mention their profit margins). The Vitners association were giving out on the radio and newspapers.
    Expensive drink ftw! :D

Sorry, I'm dragging this thread offtopic, bring on the bargains folks

micmclo wrote: »
    What you talking about Ronbyrne2005, pub owners take ethics very seriously! ;)
    Do you not remember early this year Tesco were selling crates of 24 cans at cost price?

The pub owners didn't like cheap drink this one bit, it encourages binge drinking (not to mention their profit margins). The Vitners association were giving out on the radio and newspapers.
    Expensive drink ftw! :D

Sorry, I'm dragging this thread offtopic, bring on the bargains folks

Yeah, wait till you hear the friends of publicans and anti drink groups on radio next week complaining about the drink promotions in run up to xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I just got a few bits and piece in my local Tesco and noticed on the receipt that for one of the items, a pair of socks (dont ask!) there was a 10% Sterling Discount.

There was one of the dual price tags on them - €3/£2

Anyone else noticed them doing this before?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭madscone

has anyone been to the asda in lisburn? had a quick look on google and it says theres one on moira rd but havent a clue if its just clothes/home or is there a grocery dept too?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sudo911

Was only up last week in Ikea for some furniture, but going up again next week for the Christmas food/drinks shopping......

Looks like Asda is the place to go, but can anyone recommend the best one to go to? i.e. Kilkeel, Downpatrick etc....

I'd rather stay around the Newry area etc.

Sudo911.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

I have been going to Asda for the last 5 months.I used to use Tesco .They wrote to me offering 15 euro off if i spend 50 euro.So off i went and spent 56 euro on a small trolley load of random stuff ie bread milk breakfast cereals,regular food stuff.

Today i but exactly the same shopping on to the Asda website shop bit.The total bill came to £30.10 thats 36 euro.Even using my 15 euro off voucher i still paid a lot more for my shopping in Tesco Ireland .

• Advertisement
Advertisement