Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Just to let you guys know Sainsburys have reduced their Smirnoff 1 litre bottles to £11 from £14

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I just submitted a request for a sub forum for "Bargain Alerts In Northern Ireland", if you would like to see such a sub forum please visit the link below and show your support, thanks.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055429431

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

DonJose wrote: »
    There is a new shopping centre down the road from Asda called Erneside Shopping Centre, its on the left as you leave Asda, they have a M&S, River Island, Monsoon, Argos and a good few more shops.

Hey - Is River Island etc cheaper up north too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Get sterling from the ATMs or use a credit card. Ignore the rate offered by retailers, look for the cheapest sterling price for the goods you want and pay with the cash from ATM or with a credit card and what rate the store is offering is irrelevant.

But the current ECB rate is .8299 - €1. If you use a card or get Stirling from an ATM you'll be charged at that rate plus commission. Some stores are/were offering .85 - €1 I thought. Seems a better deal to me. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Was getting petrol in Tesco in Maynooth a short while ago and stopped into the supermarket to pick up a couple of things. After being in Newry on Monday I almost felt like I was being robbed.

It just reaffirmed the decision I made after Monday to try to bulk buy all non fresh food items up north every 4 or 6 weeks and just buy fresh food down as needed.

One thing I noticed though ... xmas boxes of Tayto crisps (20 pack) for 5.99 - regular 20 pack of Tayto - 5.39 - 60c more just for the box !

I don't know about River Island but I'm sure it is, I know M&S is a LOT cheaper, the missus bought jeans up north for £39/€46 the same pair cost €69 in M&S in Liffey Valley :eek:

zing wrote: »
    One thing I noticed though ... xmas boxes of Tayto crisps (20 pack) for 5.99 - regular 20 pack of Tayto - 5.39 - 60c more just for the box !

You are paying extra for the spirit of Christmas ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

DonJose wrote: »
    You are paying extra for the spirit of Christmas ;)
    LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Most stores like that (i.e. uk chains) will have a www site with the prices in sterling on them. Prices in store in uk/ni should be the same. So compare the prices here with the prices online and you'll quickly see if there's money to be saved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

muckety wrote: »
    Question re Enniskillen for anyone who knows it, thinking of heading up next week (Mon/Tues or Weds)If I get there very early to beat traffic (8am opening Mon, 24 hours weekdays otherwise) will I be able to buy alcohol or is it like here (10.30am)? Does it have a decent range of clothes etc (have been checking out stuff on the website)

Is the M&S close to ASDA?

What are the toyshops, and do they have a website so that I can identify if the prices are any better before I travel? Any other shops that are recommended?

All advice appreciated!

Anyone know the answer to this one?
    im goin up monday and plan to be there before 9
    Now, if they're not selling alcohol till 10am or similiar
    i don't intend to get up so early
    anyone know from what time you can purchase alcohol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Fee R wrote: »
    Does anyone know what exchange rate debenhams in newry are giving?

85p last weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

muffler wrote: »
    Probably not mad completely but it will still be busy. Apart from the usual pre Xmas rush just bear in mind that Thursday is a day that many of the locals will be doing their shopping.

As stated by someone else I wouldnt think so. Here's a number for their Newry store 048 30252908. Give them a ring just to be sure.

Difficult to say. Depends where you are going and what rate the different stores are allowing but generally speaking you would be better off changing your money first. For example I was in Asda in Strabane tonight and they had an exchange rate of £1 = €0.83 which was good. I doubt if you would get that rate in the bank but then again a couple of weeks ago their rate wasn't too hot.

Most of the big centres and stores will have free parking. Its when you park in the multi storey car parks or the public car parks that you have to pay. A few pound will be more than enough in any event. No matter what way you are shopping you will be getting sterling coins back in your change.

Thanks for that much appreciated

8am to 11pm are the alcohol selling hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭Pflano

Can anyone tell me how to get to Sprucefield from the Newry roundabout? I will be going up the M1 and have only gone as far as Newry. We left Swords at 2.00, arrived home at 8.00 that night - spent an hour at the most in Sainsbury's - the rest of the time was spent in traffic and stuck in the Quays car park!

Have heard Sprucefield is less busy so am thinking of giving that a try next time. I have also heard that you can get there if you turn off at the Ballymascanlan exit - anyone know the route? Thanks in advance!

Bond-007 wrote: »

thanks

I am looking to buy a Snake for the kids for xmas. Do you reckon i might find one cheaper up north very expensive down here. Also would I be allowed buy a snake in the north and bring it back down here??? sorry if that is a silly question

Buying animals is a tricker thing to do up north as they are laws about what can be bought in a pet shop also you need licences to buy some types of snakes. Down here you need nothing to buy whatever you want.

Tbh it is easier to buy that sort of thing here. Also if anything goes wrong you have to consider the distance involved. Sorry that I can't be more positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 foxylady5160

Guys,

I'm from the North Munster area I'm half thinking of going up to the North after Christmas for the sales!! If its that much cheaper. Where woud yee suggest to go like a large Shopping Mall and of course to avail of this madness of bulk buying as well. I've never been north so its an excuse to give a go. Pity Ryanair didn't do a flight from Shannon to Belfast I'd hop on just to get the bargains!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭lynchie

Pflano wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to get to Sprucefield from the Newry roundabout? I will be going up the M1 and have only gone as far as Newry. We left Swords at 2.00, arrived home at 8.00 that night - spent an hour at the most in Sainsbury's - the rest of the time was spent in traffic and stuck in the Quays car park!

Have heard Sprucefield is less busy so am thinking of giving that a try next time. I have also heard that you can get there if you turn off at the Ballymascanlan exit - anyone know the route? Thanks in advance!

Straight all the way.. Follow the signs for Belfast. Its about 30 mins after the far side of Newry. You cant miss it. Its at the end of the A1 where it merges with the M1.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=A1%2FSprucefield+Roundabout&daddr=54.160826,-6.358509+to:Dublin+Rd+Roundabout&hl=en&geocode=FZJ7PwMdVIGj_w%3B%3BFT5IOgMdTCmf_w&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=14&via=1&sll=54.154946,-6.339111&sspn=0.028046,0.090981&ie=UTF8&ll=54.488588,-6.090546&spn=0.111279,0.363922&z=12

• Advertisement

Pflano wrote: »

don't take the ballymascanlan exit that takes you to carlingford/omeath or into Dundalk .
    On reaching the roundabout at newry go straight through follow signposts for Belfast travel on the dual carriageway for 20/25 miles or so until you come to the sprucefield roundabout on the left you have sainsburys toys are us etc on the right is m&s Jjb etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Sensible hours. Not like the 10:30am here. Why punish the majority because of the few. It's caused a lot of agro for people who do their week-end shopping on a Friday morning. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭girloperfection

Can Tesco privilege card be used up the north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

How much are a pack of 20 cigs up north? compared with ROI any savings to be made? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Can Tesco privilege card be used up the north?
    yes

Buying animals is a tricker thing to do up north as they are laws about what can be bought in a pet shop also you need licences to buy some types of snakes. Down here you need nothing to buy whatever you want.

Tbh it is easier to buy that sort of thing here. Also if anything goes wrong you have to consider the distance involved. Sorry that I can't be more positive.

Thought as much thanks for the answer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

muckety wrote: »
    Question re Enniskillen for anyone who knows it, thinking of heading up next week (Mon/Tues or Weds)If I get there very early to beat traffic (8am opening Mon, 24 hours weekdays otherwise) will I be able to buy alcohol or is it like here (10.30am)? Does it have a decent range of clothes etc (have been checking out stuff on the website)

Is the M&S close to ASDA?

What are the toyshops, and do they have a website so that I can identify if the prices are any better before I travel? Any other shops that are recommended?

All advice appreciated!

I was in Enniskillen today, left Boyle at 12 and was coming into the town at 1.05, took about 10 minutes to get through the traffic which wasn't so bad once I got over the bridge/traffic lights.

For anyone coming from my direction I went Boyle - Keadue - Drumshanbo - Dowra - Blacklion/Belcoo - Enniskillen

Headed straight for Asda, the car park was busy but no problem parking.

It was pretty busy inside, with long queues at the tills but not completely mental. Actually to be honest I feel sorry for the locals who have to go through this every week to get their shopping.... anyway..... i've gone north to shop before, but never to food shop and there are lots of savings to be made as lots have already said on this thread... picked up 2 x 15 bottles of Miller for £7 so approx €16.90 for the two, texted my brother to ask him price of miller at home, €20 for 20 bottles, so that's 56c/bottle v €1/bottle. All the smirnoff was gone, but they were still doing the 2 bottles of Absolut for £18.

There are big savings on dog food. 6 cans of pedigree chum in tesco here is approx €5.80, think they are 95c each for single cans. it was £6 (€7.25) for 12 cans of PC in asda today.... so my dog did quite well today, stocked up on lots of dog food.

Washing powder Persil/Bold/Surf etc is approx €17 in tesco here for a 5kg, asda £9.98 (€12), even more savings by buying asda own brand (2 for £10). lots of multibuy offers, three 2L bottles of coke for £3, 3 tubes of pringles for £3, tropicana 1L is £1 a carton at the moment, the cheapest price for a brand OJ in my local tesco is about €1.60.... i could go on and on. there are some things that are more expensive but generally there are large savings on non-perishable goods, so I bought lots of stuff in bulk today. queues at the tills were about 5 or 6 trolleys long and took about 30 minutes which wasn't too bad. i'll definitely be bulk buying goods there from now on and buying fresh foods locally.

also visited semi-chem in the erneside which is quite cheap for toiletries, took a spin up to woolworths which was pretty quiet, there were some bargains on tins of chocolates and sweets but nothing like the supermarkets... i suppose they are having financial problems at the moment.

M&S is in the erneside shopping centre which is across the road from ASDA. both car parks full of southern cars and aisles full of southern accents in ASDA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Guys,

. Pity Ryanair didn't do a flight from Shannon to Belfast I'd hop on just to get the bargains!!
    you would not be able to buy much cos Mr O'leary would hit you with his baggage charge and checkin fees if you have more then carry on baggage, then there are all the restrictions on what you can not carryon

Hal1 wrote: »
    How much are a pack of 20 cigs up north? compared with ROI any savings to be made? :cool:

there dearer up north I'm afraid

this thread is geeting busy lately in the marshes shopping center in Dundalk the other day not a sinner about newry has hit it hard

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

Headed straight for Asda, the car park was busy but no problem parking.

It was pretty busy inside, with long queues at the tills but not completely mental. Actually to be honest I feel sorry for the locals who have to go through this every week to get their shopping

try working there :(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

kleefarr wrote: »
    But the current ECB rate is .8299 - €1. If you use a card or get Stirling from an ATM you'll be charged at that rate plus commission. Some stores are/were offering .85 - €1 I thought. Seems a better deal to me. :confused:
    It would be if the prices in the stores offering one pound for one euro were the same as the other stores in Newry. If a store is offering you a pound for a euro but it's prices are 20% dearer than elsewhere in Newry then you ain't gaining. Basically look at the sterling prices of goods and the exchange rate for you euros seperately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Dooish wrote: »
    try working there :(:(:(

ya that did occur to me as i was in there, as soon as stuff was put on shelves it was gone again.... no such thing as a quiet minute. staff are really polite and friendly there considering they have that hassle all day long. everyday from the sounds of it.

asda would do well with the lidl supermarket model at the moment, hop it all out in boxes/on pallets... all the southern shoppers are buying in bulk anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

this thread is geeting busy lately in the marshes shopping center in Dundalk the other day not a sinner about newry has hit it hard
    The Marshes has some cheek to charge for car parking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

there dearer up north I'm afraid
    Nope, cigs are cheaper in NI. Pack of 20 Silk Cut is about £5.50 is Sainsburys, compared to €8.05 down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Bad news lads!! The exchange rate is'nt as great as a few days ago. Now its 1e = 82.4p. Bear it in mind before drivin up. You might not save as much as you thought, especially on the bigger stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Portadown was nice n quiet today, was passing through, didn't go especially, but saved a few santa € in Game - their prices are the same as their .co.uk website.
    They have a Dunnes, didn't buy anything there but 5% heineken was only £1.14 for 500ml can. Noticed they had Miller on offer too, can't remember the price. Drinking American beer is like sucking lolipops..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Bad news lads!! The exchange rate is'nt as great as a few days ago. Now its 1e = 82.4p. Bear it in mind before drivin up. You might not save as much as you thought, especially on the bigger stuff
    So compared to it's record high (86 and a half approx) you are down approx 40 euro per 1000 spent euro or 4%, which when taking into account the gain from the 2.5% VAT reduction from Monday it's that irrelevant it's not worth mentioning.

There is that much volatility in the EUR/GBP at the moment you could dictate a board to it, never mind a thread or even a post. For the main part as I said it's irrelevant to your average Joe Soap.

ya that did occur to me as i was in there, as soon as stuff was put on shelves it was gone again.... no such thing as a quiet minute. staff are really polite and friendly there considering they have that hassle all day long. everyday from the sounds of it.

asda would do well with the lidl supermarket model at the moment, hop it all out in boxes/on pallets... all the southern shoppers are buying in bulk anyway :D

worked for lidl for awhile, i hope we never go down that road again. to many bosses and procedures to follow to get away with just sticking it out. store under pressure to keep the shelves filled and you would not believe how rude people can be all the time. Try working in the booze department for a day and you will change your opinion of how friendly us irish people are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

mailburner wrote: »
    Anyone know the answer to this one?
    im goin up monday and plan to be there before 9
    Now, if they're not selling alcohol till 10am or similiar
    i don't intend to get up so early
    anyone know from what time you can purchase alcohol?

further back in the thread, I asked same question,was told that alcohol is sold 8am till 11pm

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Dors1976

Is there an Asda and Iceland near to each other anywhere in the north? What's the asda like in Kilkeel? Is it very big?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Dors1976 wrote: »
    Is there an Asda and Iceland near to each other anywhere in the north? What's the asda like in Kilkeel? Is it very big?
    Thanks.

Enniskillen, you'll pass an Iceland on your left when you travel in on the Sligo road, Asda is a minute away and in front of Tesco.

Black Friday death at a Wal-Mart

By Yael T. Abouhalkah, Kansas City Star Editorial Page columnist

A crowd of shoppers trampled a store worker to death while rushing toward Black Friday specials at a Long Island Wal-Mart.

It's an appalling event, made even more newsworthy by the fact that American shoppers have been encouraged in recent days to make sure they get out and spend money to boost the economy.

Obviously, no one wanted anything like this event to occur.

Witnesses said a worker at a Wal-Mart in Long Island died after he tried to hold shoppers back before the scheduled 5 a.m. opening of the store.

But the stock clerk was run over by "unruly crowds," according to a report in the New York Daily News.

"As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him," the paper reported.

Police closed the store during the investigation of the death.

That decision probably angered a lot of shoppers but it was the proper thing to do.

when is this going to happen in the north

further back in the thread, I asked same question,was told that alcohol is sold 8am till 11pm

sry
    seen ure thread but missed the reply

Dooish wrote: »
    when is this going to happen in the north
    Most likely never. It's an extremely isolated incident and nothing like the over crowding that was there will be seen in the North.

I hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭walter sobchak

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Most likely never. It's an extremely isolated incident and nothing like the over crowding that was there will be seen in the North.

I hope that helps.

I wouldn't be so sure.....
    "DISORDER AT OUTLET STORE, ANTRIM 06/10/07

One man was arrested for disorderly behaviour following a public order incident at a Retail Outlet store on the Ballymena Road, Antrim during the early hours of Saturday morning, 6 October.

Police believe up to 2,000 people arrived for the opening of a new store and tempers frayed as individuals tried to jump the queue.

The man arrested was later released pending report."
    (http://www.psni.police.uk/index/media_centre/press_releases/pr_2007/pr_october_2007/pr_disorder_at_outlet_store,_antrim_061007.htm)

I've also heard reports of rows breaking out over trolleys at The Quays in Newry in the run up to Xmas.

Ho Ho Ho - Season of goodwill and all that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭meboloxitis

Got an xbox 360 (60gig) & 3 games in hmv Newry for £175 = €212 on my credit card. Best offer I seen here was €280 in xtravision with only 2 games.

Also picked up a nintendo ds lite with accessorie pack & new pokemon game for £120 in gamestop, ARGOS WAS SOLD OUT OF DS LITE!

Sainsburys was packed full of southerners & the alco's were out in full force with trolleys full of booze! There was'nt even a bottle of heineken or a decent bottle of wine left on the shelves.

There are some great deals but you would want to be really stocking up or buying higher value items.

Keep in mind that your looking at €20 of petrol & €3.60 of tolls alone.
    Then you have the long queue's and that's just for parking :rolleyes:

Personally I would'nt be bothered in buying cheese & 50% pork content sausages just cause there cheap! I go for quality over quantity myself

We picked up an Argos catalogue & you can clearly see the savings if your buying the higher value items

I wouldn't be so sure.....
    "DISORDER AT OUTLET STORE, ANTRIM 06/10/07

One man was arrested for disorderly behaviour following a public order incident at a Retail Outlet store on the Ballymena Road, Antrim during the early hours of Saturday morning, 6 October.

Police believe up to 2,000 people arrived for the opening of a new store and tempers frayed as individuals tried to jump the queue.

The man arrested was later released pending report."
    (http://www.psni.police.uk/index/media_centre/press_releases/pr_2007/pr_october_2007/pr_disorder_at_outlet_store,_antrim_061007.htm)

I've also heard reports of rows breaking out over trolleys at The Quays in Newry in the run up to Xmas.

Ho Ho Ho - Season of goodwill and all that :pac:

There is BIG difference between argument over queue jumping and a person being squashed to death.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

3 hour delays at the moment on the M1 backing up from Newry! Ouch.

3 hours? :eek:
    *MAIN TRAFFIC* *N1/LOUTH* Very heavy traffic volumes on the M1 from Dundalk onto the A1 towards Newry. Motorists reporting delays of up to 2 hours. Avoid the route completely if possible.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

3 hours? :eek:

ah, only 2 hours, pfftt!

said 3 on the radio, someone I know on the way back down says it is like a car park for miles and miles going the other way and it is just being added to as more on more people hit it on way up. It's extending right back over the border..

Advertisement