Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Zigmund

They accept Laser cards up North, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

No they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

if it has a mastro sign they will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Bond-007 wrote: »
    No they don't.

Yes, they do - got a printer a while back no probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

irish-stew wrote: »
    if it has a mastro sign they will

+1

have used my laser(mastro) card in newry loads of times:)

I have seen Sainsburys reject laser/maestro cards loads of times.

Maestro works ok in Boots and Evans.

Even if your card is branded as Maestro there is only a 50% chance of it being accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

Are the shops in belfast doing the same deals like the £ for € and stuff or will you get better deals in newry??? I am going up on Thursday leaving wicklow at 7am so not sure if i should try avoid newry and head in further or if there are better deals to be got in newry. Any ideas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Sample drink items Asda Belfast vs. Tesco Maynooth

................................Asda......................Tesco
    Jameson 700ml...........£12.48.....................€26.99
    2 x Tia Maria 700ml...... £18 ......................€39.96
    Baileys 700ml...............£10 ......................€18.60
    24 x Heineken btl330...£14.98.....................€26.99
    WKD blue/red 700ml.....£2.72......................€6.25

Do your own conversion:D

Other American piss beers like miller are much cheaper than heiniken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭samo

Zigmund wrote: »
    They accept Laser cards up North, right?

Cannot speak for all but used Laser in Sainsburys in Newry last Thursday - also Debenhams/Toysrus and all the Newry shops have all accepted it in recent weeks.

(as someone else pointed out - it needs to have the maestro symbol)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

boopolo wrote: »
    Baileys 700ml...............£10 ......................€18.60

Baileys 1ltr in Sainsburys last weekend for £10 and I saw it in Dunnes today for €25 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

I shop in Newry city a lot, and while you can use Laser there, I never count on it.

Boots never managed to accept Laser, nor do a lot of the dress shops, I have a feeling Primark doesn't either, but you can use your laser card in the atms and the Ulster Bank along the quays has a sterling ATM AND a Euro atm.

I am afraid I sorta LOVE my shopping in Newry. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

darc wrote: »
    Also in april the UK will be lashing huge extra duties on all a lcohol & fuel as per pre budget staement last week. - Estimates (according to financial times last week) are @ £3 per bottle of spirits & £1 bottle wine & 50p beer.

Guess I'll just stock up then ;)

DonJose wrote: »
    Guess I'll just stock up then ;)
    Indeed. so shall I. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭ASTRACLUB

Ireland got their independance from the UK, and look now at all people now from the REPUBLIC going to shop in the UK (across the border)which they wanted their independance from.
    Mainly both juristictions are largely dominated by British retailers and yet the government are saying where is everyones sense of patrionism...does that mean shop in a British retailler or Dunnes in the south and get fleeced or go up north and see instant bargains. Even Dunnes in Newry was cheaper then here.
    Wake up the people in power you wanted independance and now you cant compete and as usual its constant whinging.
    what would this country be like if it hadnt got independance but still had it identity.
    After all look at all the football jerseys worn Tv channels watched etc and yet the few still say "feckin brits" while walkin around tesco or ext etc.

cop on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭call d

was the map ever put up on here, if so can anyone tell me the page, the thread is quite big..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

call d wrote: »
    was the map ever put up on here, if so can anyone tell me the page, the thread is quite big..
    what map are you eluding to ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭call d

the map I am eluding to was a map of locations to these wonderful shopping heavens, found a link on the previous page.

the map I am eluding to was a map of locations to these wonderful shopping heavens, found a link on the previous page.
    aah you cant really go wrong most are well signposted happy hunting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

Remember when I came down south to live. All the lads on the site would slag me as being "a hungry nordie" coming down here for the big money ( yeah right!!). Now when you hear of 10-15km tailbacks into the north can I say "hungry southerners"!!!!!:D:D

its amazing how things have changed over the years i remember in the eighties going to newry to shop and having to hide the grocerys on the customs sitting in the back of the car on top of washing powder and so on the weekly spin to get petrol my father cycling bikes home that were xmas presents.then somes years ago it turning full circle and all the northerns in dundalk shopping getting value for their pound filling their cars and boots with petrol now look at it christ its crazy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

Meathlass wrote: »
    Thanks, Milly, Are those supermarkets outside the city though, would like to be back in Dublin by 4pm at the latest as I've to drive to Cork that evening so dont' want to end up in the centre of Belfast. Did someone mention that the Ikea has an asda opposite it?
    Asda is the first supermarket you get to, it's just off the M1 (signpost for the outer ring), there is a sainsbury's at forestside ( outer ring) and a massive tesco at newtownbreda nearby aswell. it is a sainsbury's opposite ikea. all parking is free at these places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Went to Newry on Saturday. When I saw the car parks, I was wondering if there was anyone left south of the border. I saw reg plates from every county in the republic. We had a pass the time game with the kids of "spot the northern reg" and we saw only 15 northern cars in Newry & thousands of southern cars.

Anyway - it was great !! I bought a pressie for someone and bought it for £59 in Argos in Newry and it was €149 in Argos in Dublin. I'm happy.

Northern Argos - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4230027/Trail/searchtext%3ETASSIMO.htm

Southern Argos - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4230027/Trail/searchtext%3ETASSIMO.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Forgot to say that there were a number of shops offering €=£ prices.

There was a toy shop beside the Quays shopping Centre who had this offer and it was brilliant. Got all the presies for the kids for a hell of a lot less than I would down here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Morning all,

hoping for some fresh info. Heading up in about 20 mins. Anybody up there over the weekend and witness £ for € ? Particularly in the Quays / Buttercrane? I'll make a call depending on traffic as to whether we stop in Newry or head farther afield but I did hear that Jack and Jones were doing parity last week ?

Thanks in advance

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Jack Jones were offering £ for €, if you paid by laser or credit card they were giving 15% reduction on your bill so when the banks took their cut it works out close to the £ for €.

I have to say it was madness up there yesterday. I didn't find it any better than places down south but all the southerners were just filling trollies with booze, going to their cars and going back in and filling with booze again!! Its madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Sainsburys offered 86p to the euro when i paid in euro's for my shopping.

Also, i just don't get when people bring their kids to the mayhem of Sainsburys, that ain't good for the child's welfare.

So you want us to put the maps here?
    what is wrong with a link to the map. By sending a link to the maps you can zoom in and out.
    For those who missed it: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58087650&postcount=946

boo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Dummy wrote: »
    Went to Newry on Saturday. When I saw the car parks, I was wondering if there was anyone left south of the border. I saw reg plates from every county in the republic. We had a pass the time game with the kids of "spot the northern reg" and we saw only 15 northern cars in Newry & thousands of southern cars.

Anyway - it was great !! I bought a pressie for someone and bought it for £59 in Argos in Newry and it was €149 in Argos in Dublin. I'm happy.

Northern Argos - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4230027/Trail/searchtext%3ETASSIMO.htm

Southern Argos - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4230027/Trail/searchtext%3ETASSIMO.htm

Great post and great bargain :D

Asda Eniskillen - 20 bottles of Coors Light - £7!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Loubytee wrote: »
    Asda Eniskillen - 20 bottles of Coors Light - £7!
    I noticed that in Strabane today along with Miller and that other stuff beginning with B. :eek:

Limited to 3 cases per customer.

• Advertisement

The thing is they don't seem to enforce these limits anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

I went up to Asda in Enniskillen yesterday. Got to the car park for 12.30 and parked my car at the edge of the car park so I was in equal walking distance between Asda and Tesco. There was about 200 people quing up waiting for the 1pm opening. I knew exactly what I wanted so as soon as the doors opened I made my way around the aisles and filled my trolley. There was tons of people in the shop and in some parts it was absolute madness trying to get your trolley around the aisles.

Left Asda at 2 and headed over to Tesco. They were selling 2 boxes of Carlsberg (15 cans per box) for £12. The cans are 440ml but its still a brilliant deal.

Then headed to Dunnes Stores to get a load of Club Orange cans. Finished up in Currys where I bought a photo printer and got the VAT reduction at the till even though it was not due to come in until today.

Im going to go back up next week to get more stuff. Yesterday instead of driving up through Belturbet like I normally do I drove up through Butlers Bridge, NewtownButler and Lisnaskea. That road brings you to the back of Tesco. There is no quing at that end of the town so is really handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Dummy wrote: »

Isn't that just plain scandalous, very angry at this....:mad:

We're muppets down here, Putting up with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

They are discussing this on liveline at the moment.
    In particular the traffic jams on Saturday!

I will update this post with as much as what they are discussing -
    - Comparing the traffic to alledged bargains in Dublin
    - Cost of parkin in Dublin city centre...go to the shopping centres
    - The christmas tree not being seen from the north side??

The discussion started at the beginning but that was it. Not much to report!

I shall download and listen to it later. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Can anyone recommend a good place for shopping a bit past newry, I dont mind going that bit further to get some parking etc..

Banbridge and Lisburn are your best bets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

What amazes me is that nobody in Government has said (apart from stop shopping up North) is for the retailers down here to DROP their prices!
    Everybody can all see the major differences in prices between NI & ROI so what are the shops going to do about it?
    Stop whinging and start cutting prices, it's the only way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I dont see the problem, people from the north are still filling their cars up with petrol from south.. fair play to them.. wasnt it our own Mary Harney that told us to SHOP AROUND!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

okidoki987 wrote: »
    What amazes me is that nobody in Government has said (apart from stop shopping up North) is for the retailers down here to DROP their prices!
    Everybody can all see the major differences in prices between NI & ROI so what are the shops going to do about it?
    Stop whinging and start cutting prices, it's the only way.

lapping it up in their uk based shop?

what do you want them to do while paying higher wages here higher rents etc

compete with themselves?

not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Heading to Enniskillen later this week (on a weekday thank God!)

Looks like Asda is easy the best for grocery shopping, and if M & S are having the 20% sale up there too, there'll be some bargains on clothes there.

Mrs Big B wants more Denby crockery & I know I got her some in Woolworths in Glasgow years ago, so will probably try to get some more this week. Is Woolies walking distance from Asda?

Any other recommendations for shops very welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

big b wrote: »
    Heading to Enniskillen later this week (on a weekday thank God!)

Looks like Asda is easy the best for grocery shopping, and if M & S are having the 20% sale up there too, there'll be some bargains on clothes there.

Mrs Big B wants more Denby crockery & I know I got her some in Woolworths in Glasgow years ago, so will probably try to get some more this week. Is Woolies walking distance from Asda?

Any other recommendations for shops very welcome.

Wollworths is about a 10/15 minute walk from Asda. Come out of Asda and walk towards the Earnside SC. Go through the Earnside SC and come out at the exit where Argos is. Go over the Bridge and you will see Heatons and Iceland up the road (across the road and to your left). There is a car park beside these shops and if you cut through and behind the car park and walk up the side road you will come out at the side of Woolworths. Its not a very big shop though. I have never noticed any Denby stuff in there but then again I have never been looking out for it.

Yesterday Tesco where giving 84p to the Euro while Asda where giving 82p so it might be worth your while to check between the 2 stores for certain items.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭bilko1234

Can anyone tell me do the people in the Quays SC have their car parking arrangements managed so that each car which arrives gets a car parking space on a first come first serve basis, or is it every man for himself??

bilko1234 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me do the people in the Quays SC have their car parking arrangements managed so that each car which arrives gets a car parking space on a first come first serve basis, or is it every man for himself??
    its dog eat dog im afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

ntlbell wrote: »
    lapping it up in their uk based shop?

what do you want them to do while paying higher wages here higher rents etc

compete with themselves?

not a chance

I know it's easy to assume that but how do you know that for certain? Irish supermarkets don't disclose their financial results and costs so how do we know for sure that these costs are a major factor here?
    The way they bang on about inflation, you'd think Ireland was the only country affected by the financial crisis.

The fact is, we ARE being ripped off (by the government and the retailers).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good place for shopping a bit past newry, I dont mind going that bit further to get some parking etc..

Going to Spucefield, Lisburn next week which I am told by a NI friend is the best ALL-IN-ONE place for shopping.
    http://www.sprucefieldcentre.co.uk/

BTW. The website only has a few retailers listed, don't worry it is supposed to be similar in layout to Blanchardstown retail park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

I'm heading to Lisburn (Sprucefield) at the weekend. I plan on leaving early enough to try and avoid the gridlock around Newry. Just wondering if anyone can reccommend an alternative route just in case the N1 is chock a bloc at 7.30ish?
    Also, is there an Asda to be found in the Newry/ Lisburn area. One google suggests one in Armagh, but that one seems to be ether closed or actually a Morrissons. Is Kilkeel viable, ie not too far out of the way?
    Thanks in advance

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    Going to Spucefield, Lisburn next week which I am told by a NI friend is the best ALL-IN-ONE place for shopping.
    http://www.sprucefieldcentre.co.uk/

BTW. The website only has a few retailers listed, don't worry it is supposed to be similar in layout to Blanchardstown retail park
    About 30 mis up the road to Asda, if you are not happy there.

Boo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Bond-007 wrote: »
    No they don't.

Bond-007 is, again, right.

If your Laser card has no other logo on it, you can not use it in the UK. This is not specific to retailers, such as Sainsburys. It is true for all.

Most Laser cards also have the Maestro logo, so can be used in the UK, but these are not Laser transactions - they are Maestro.

The correct answer to the question "Can in use my Laser card in the North", is "It depends".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭Snaggerman

Boo, I take it you mean on in to Belfast then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement