Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

sainsburys, sprucefield, lisburn...much better than newry

Travel time from Newry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Famous45 wrote: »
    Travel time from Newry?

Did we forget a word beginning with P?

http://www.aaireland.ie/routes/

40mins or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Travel time from Newry? Pronto! ;)

Did we forget a word beginning with P?

It was a general question - not totally directed to you. Thanks for the info.

I can think of another word beginning with P now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

We're heading up to Belfast this weekend.

We would like to look at hole-in-the-wall gas fires, balterio laminate (as we've picked out what we want already & just need to purchase), tools (cordless drill & various hand tools) and under counter freezers.

Does anyone have any recommendations on places to go? Any good business parks around where a few of the above may be catered for?

Was in Sainsbury's in Newry this eve. Practically empty and the shelves too, disappointing again.

On the way into the Newry, the roundabout turn off after the M1 it was 7:10 and road workers had literally just cordoned off the road into Newry under the bridge. So we were forced to go around the roundabout and head towards Banbridge direction, diversion signs were pretty poor we followed a LH reg in front, managed to go right around Newry and eventually down Dolans Hill, or something like this, you couldnt turn off on the main road to it you had to go right round, anyway it brought us in the back way to the Quays and it wasnt actually too bad. But on the way home when we reached the bridge they were still working but at no point on the way up where there signs saying this so we were forced to turn around, there was no diversion signs in place luckily I seen a ROI reg in front and we followed it when it took a left turn and eventually brought us back on the main road. Very disappointed at the lack of communication from the road authority.

All in all, we spent €99, managed to get 24 cans of Stella for €14 and they have easter eggs for £1, Kit Kat, Flake, Mini Egg, Creme Egg, Dairy Creme Egg, Smarties maybe a coule of others.

Overall bit disappointed with the shelves being empty again some of the things I went for, grapes, which i got but werent the best, and mince, lamb chops chicken pieces there just wasnt any and no intention of them restocking. It's a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

TKK wrote: »
    Any good business parks around where a few of the above may be catered for?

Boucher Road in Belfast is a cluster of those types of stores. Kings Hall exit off the M1, back under the M1 that first major left turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

1, Kit Kat, Flake, Mini Egg, Creme Egg, Dairy Creme Egg, Smarties maybe a coule of others.

Practically same price in supervalu 3 for 3.50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

Famous,

Sainsbury in Newry is from my experiences having a problem stacking the shelves fast enough.

The earlier you get there the better - I know not possible when working etcetera.

Also kids are off as well which makes the place even busier stm!

Early on a Saturday would be my plan if from Dublin or similar and maybe even sprucefield over newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Guvnor wrote: »
    Famous,

Sainsbury in Newry is from my experiences having a problem stacking the shelves fast enough.

The earlier you get there the better - I know not possible when working etcetera.

Early on a Saturday would be my plan if from Dublin or similar and maybe even sprucefield over newry.

Was in Newry on Monday afternoon. Sainsburys shelves were half bare, spillages on the floor, nobody re-stocking and long lines at the checkout. Didn't get any bargains. Should have gone to Sprucefield. M&S in Buttercrane had a very small selection of everything. The only bargain I got was in 'Barnardos' charity shop on Hill St. where I got a Harry Chapin dvd reduced to £1.49 (new stock) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Guvnor wrote: »
    Famous,

We were in Sainsburys Newry last Saturday at 9.30am and it was mental when queueing for the checkouts.

I'll definitely be going back to Sprucefield now.

Well it's glad to know that the afternoons are the same although I went a couple of weeks ago on a Friday afternoon and although busy there was more on the shelves than last night.

Everyone seems to be talking about Sprucefield, I cant imagine the price of things is any cheaper being that it's still Sainsburys, if it meant that the shelves were stocked all day I'd prob take the extra long journey in. Someone said its 40 mins onwards from Newry bit too far for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ukpoker

Everyone seems to be talking about Sprucefield, I cant imagine the price of things is any cheaper being that it's still Sainsburys, if it meant that the shelves were stocked all day I'd prob take the extra long journey in. Someone said its 40 mins onwards from Newry bit too far for me.

Sprucefield is no more than 30 mins further on once you've reached the roundabout off the M1 which takes you into Newry. Just carry staight on at that roundobout (heading for Belfast) and you can't miss it!

Its a far larger Sainsburys than the one in Newry and much better stocked in all departments, IMO! Of course its not cheaper than the one in Newry but you'll feel more relaxed about shopping there than with the scrum that goes on in the Newry store!

Looked it up on AA and it had more directions past Newry than you can imagine. I might give it a bash next Saturday morning if its a case of simply following the main road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

Looked it up on AA and it had more directions past Newry than you can imagine. I might give it a bash next Saturday morning if its a case of simply following the main road.

It is much more straightforward that the AA directions suggest.

ROI M1 to Newry.

At first roundabout 'beside' railway bridge, (2nd) exit to continue straight out far side.
    Downhill to another roundabout, (3rd) exit to continue straight out far side (signposted A1/Belfast).
    Gradual uphill to another roundabout, 1st exit (left turn) onto A1 heading North.

Once you're clear of Newry, it's a straight run to Lisburn. At Sprucefield, there is another roundabout. First exit (and there is a slip lane) leads to M1. If you follow this, it takes you along the back of Sainsburys. there is then a right turn to lead you off the A1 into the Sainsburys car park.

May seem involved, but it's a lot simpler once you're on the road. It's all well sign-posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

TarfHead wrote: »
    It is much more straightforward that the AA directions suggest.

ROI M1 to Newry.

The ROI M1 doesn't go to Newry. Given that it's not in the ROI.

It becomes the N1 after Dundalk and the A1 at the border. Several online maps are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

gonker wrote: »
    Practically same price in supervalu 3 for 3.50

The above quote refers to easter eggs . In my local Supervalu medium easter eggs ie kit kat rolo are €3.79 each 2 for €5.00 .A price of 3 for £3 is great value .Can you confirm the offer in your local supervalu?

Yes all supervalus in the north east anyway. Ardee, Drogheda, Bettystown.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

SuperValu in Donegal Town seems to have the same deal. Pretty good.

• Advertisement

They obviously think that people in Kinnegad can afford the extra .I would happily buy all my easter eggs down south at that price .

I will carry on going North until the retailers in my area cop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

dont go... if you think 20 minutes up the stright road ( with no turn offs) is difficult you should just tear up your driving licence now :eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Went up to Sainsburys Newry yesterday.Very disappointing and not worth the visit.I thought the shop was dirty and the shelves poorly stocked.Keep going to Sprucefield or Asda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I agree with broker2008 - I was up yesterday and it was crazy crazy busy. I've been up before in the runup to Christmas for the past few years, and yesterday was busier than I've ever seen it before. It was crowded, there were a lot of empty shelves. They were sold out of most of the specials that I had seen on the Sainsbury's website before I headed up... and there was no paracetemol left on the shelves either!

There was no way that the staff could have re-stacked the shelves unless they closed for an hour in the middle of the day. It really reminded me of a shop at 4:55 on Christmas Eve.

I am not sure I will bother with trips up there any more, I might just stick to Tesco/Dunnes/Lidl down here. The traffic in Newry town was mental too, I don't know how the locals put up with it! I have driven past Sprucefield before on the way to Belfast, and it seems WAY further than a 20 minute drive.

byte wrote: »
    SuperValu in Donegal Town seems to have the same deal. Pretty good.

Best deals on Easter eggs in asda was 3 for £5 so that supervalu deal is good just a pity they wont do it in the more southerly branches.

Was in asda today and it was mad shelves not very well stocked lots of stuff out of stock.

andyeire wrote: »
    Best deals on Easter eggs in asda was 3 for £5 so that supervalu deal is good just a pity they wont do it in the more southerly branches.

Was in asda today and it was mad shelves not very well stocked lots of stuff out of stock.

Would you not say it to the store manager. I would ask him why!!!

edit not in Asda about the shelves...in Supervalue about the eggs lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Stella Artois in Sainsburys 24x440m cans for £11.99....sweet...:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

gally74 wrote: »
    for anyone near claremorris in mayo, visit the n17 food club, did it this evening and its better that asda etc. in the north. well worth a visit and nice to see a response to lidl and aldi in ireland,

the brands are all the well known and prices are A1.http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    is that at the n17 electrical outlet ??? In Ballaghaderreen so would be a lot closer than Ennisk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

There is definitely no Sainsburys in Enniskillen. There is an ASDA, Dunnes, Tesco and Marks and Spencers. So it's not doing too bad!

I head up to ennisk for the shop. Where is Dunnes in relation to Tesco n Asda please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭jister

is that at the n17 electrical outlet ??? In Ballaghaderreen so would be a lot closer than Ennisk

Hoiw long before people with a bit of wherewithall take over places like SR Technics and the Dell building and start selling slashed price groceries?

Given the recession its going to happen pretty soon I feel, these units will have plenty of parking and if there was about 6 of them spread out around the country there is a killing to be made. No bullsh1t just all our regular products at low profit margins.

• Advertisement

Just want to thank everyone who recommened Sainsbury's @ Sprucefield. Went today and I have to say I was very very impressed. It was only 30 minutes onwards from Newry. It was a little busy but not too bad, there wasnt a queue for the checkouts, the shelves were full and we got there at 2.30pm. Lots of staff re stocking some on the frozen foods area and some other places but I didnt pass an isle that was heavily stocked and the choice of items is far greater than Newry, I'll never again set foot into the Newry store. Again thanks very much to those who commented on Sprucefield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Yes, but the range of stuff is a bit limited.Good value in most of their stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

yes it is the n17,

ts very good and kinda like an irish lidl,

if the person who owns this rolled out 20 of these across the country brian cowen would be thanking him, the prices are very good, and you get good brands, coke etc.

at least the VAT is going to the government. ive shopped in the north too, but its a long drive and takes up the whole of saturday

gally74 wrote: »
    yes it is the n17,

ts very good and kinda like an irish lidl,

if the person who owns this rolled out 20 of these across the country brian cowen would be thanking him, the prices are very good, and you get good brands, coke etc.

at least the VAT is going to the government. ive shopped in the north too, but its a long drive and takes up the whole of saturday

Unfortunately he wouldn't as our country is built on everybody ripping everybody else off. So instead of Dunnes selling an item for €2 and giving 21% (42c) to the government this guy is selling it for €1 and giving 21c to the government. On top of this all the high rent that the big supermarkets were paying for "prime" locations is no longer paying the speculators who built the shopping centres etc.

Another thing - a lot of these discount shops import colgate, shampoo, Coke, Kelloggs cornflakes etc. from Eastern europe directly so the local distributers, sales reps etc. don't get a cut.

The food is the same quality except it comes directly from low cost countries in EE, Turkey etc.

Back to N17 - can somebody post up some of their prices for comparison please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

jister wrote: »
    Unfortunately he wouldn't as our country is built on everybody ripping everybody else off. So instead of Dunnes selling an item for €2 and giving 21% (42c) to the government this guy is selling it for €1 and giving 21c to the government. On top of this all the high rent that the big supermarkets were paying for "prime" locations is no longer paying the speculators who built the shopping centres etc.

Another thing - a lot of these discount shops import colgate, shampoo, Coke, Kelloggs cornflakes etc. from Eastern europe directly so the local distributers, sales reps etc. don't get a cut.

The food is the same quality except it comes directly from low cost countries in EE, Turkey etc.

Back to N17 - can somebody post up some of their prices for comparison please.

Why are you contaminating a thread about Northern Ireland with this guff about the N17? If it's worthy of a thread, then start a thread, but please keep out of this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I head up to ennisk for the shop. Where is Dunnes in relation to Tesco n Asda please

Dunnes is very close to ASDA and Tesco; if you scroll down on the map attachment, you will see the Derrychara Rd. This is the road ASDA is on, so you just need to drive from there to Forthill St where the Dunnes is.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?zoom=17&countryCode=GB&qs=BT74%206AJ#map=54.34457,-7.63163|17|4&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:54.34585:-7.63163:17|BT74%206AJ|BT74%206AJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Littleguy

Agggghhhhh people people people what have we come to???
    On my way from Donegal yesterday we passed through Newry to do our regular top up of Baby supplies.
    Jesus people are we in ration times? Literally people staring at me and my trolley as if to say - "Thats what I wanted"..........
    As is typical of the Irish....have we ruined a good thing yet again??????
    All I can say is that I'm glad I haven't shared my shortcut out and home, I'd still be sitting at the bottom of the hill in Newry.......
    Never, ever again......I'll be sticking to the others I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Keep out of Newry is my mantra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 silverY

vibrant wrote: »

There was no way that the staff could have re-stacked the shelves unless they closed for an hour in the middle of the day.

I too looked up the special offers and had my list written to bulk buy. I arrived there at 7:50am on friday expecting the 'xmas rush' as schools were off last week. However, even at opening time the shelves were bare. Some were being restocked but I didn't get most of the bargains I went up for. It was very disappointing. Even later on in the day the shop still hadn't been restocked. The only thing I saw people buy were trolleyfuls full of easter eggs.It was crazy- never again. Sainsbury's in Lisburn is def better. It's layout is kind of like Te*co Finglas. It has clothes, wide isles and the shop is huge! Only downfall is the off-licence is not very big compared to the newry branch. But for groceries its worth the trip.

• Advertisement

Why are you contaminating a thread about Northern Ireland with this guff about the N17? If it's worthy of a thread, then start a thread, but please keep out of this one.

The OP started a thread asking about bargains in NI. If N17 is cheaper then its worth knowing about as it saves people on the west coast passing its door and driving another 2 hours to the north and facing chaos there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 2010House

Was up in Newry yesterday, oh my god, we shopped for the day between Sainsburys, B&Q and Smyths Toy Shop. Fantastic bargains on food and grocery shopping, we're stocked up on that for at least 3 months. Didint get to go looking for domestic appliances as time was limited for us so I'm looking to head up again in the next month anywhere over the border. The only thing is, is the headache that is the Red Cow, its the most stressful part of the journey. Can anyone suggest going from Kilkenny via Tullamore direction up north to any town that I could shop for domestic appliances. I don't mind the idea of cross country, even if its a little longer. People are talking about Enniskillen? Any suggestions?

If you intend to go to Newry again, I'd advise heading on further to Sprucefield in Lisburn which is only 30 min on. Sainsburys there is far bigger, and maintained a whole lot better than Newry, I too shopped in Newry for the last month until people on here recommened Lisburn, cant recommend highly enough bout heading to there, they have b&q, m&s, mfi, currys, toys r us and others there too, also on the way, 10 minutes outside of Newry is The Outlet which has I think over 70 stores, so bypass Newry next time is my advice.

You can come off that M50 motorway at the Red Cow and head down by the Phoenix Park and onwards to the M50 again at the airport for a couple of minutes and then onto the M1 towards Newry.

Sitting in the traffic on the M50 sometimes could be an hour even longer, but if you were to take the phoenix park route you'd be at the airport area in about 20 minutes max. Otherwise if it allows travel up at night time and stay over somewhere, possibly the carrickdale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

was in belfast last week and on the way down i stopped into B&Q in nerwry... noticed that the prices were teh same as down south... even 1 item had a better price down south... but when i got to the till and everything was scanned she said o we dont take irish lazer... i asked where the nearest ATM was ... but to be honest i said screw that and went home...

there was some bargins in halfords... the heater is not the best in teh car at the mo so got a load of de icer stuff for less that 2.50...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hammer1

I’ve used recessionbustours.ie on friday to go to Newry and it’s brilliant i’ve saved a fortune. It was so handy getting all da shopping delivered. Makes me realise how much we’re getting ripped off down here you know? I bought 10 bottles of wine and saved €10 on each. I bought a bottle of bombay saphire and saved €15 staight away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I spent 20quid going to Ennisk on petrol return. Made that cost back on 2 1L bottles of Baileys which were going for a tenner in Tesco.
    Add in the heap of other grocery & alcohol stuff i got, i saved about 50quid on the monthly shop and this time i didn't get much like at xmas.

Word of advice though, we know Asda is cheapest and packed(not as bad as Sainsburys, Newry) but Tesco sometimes do a few special offers, nowhere near as many as Asda but worth a 2nd choice visit after you've shopped in Asda to see what can be obtained.(Baileys was dearer in Asda for example but rest of alcohol was mostly cheaper in Asda)
    Tesco which i'm no fan of due to their rip-off culture down here was empty in comparison to Asda and so was Dunnes. Lidl do be cheaper too but watch the prices, they all not cheaper there than Dublin(Veg is dearer but most of other stuff is cheaper), still worth a visit, no queues there either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

At B&Q Newry today,just off the next roundabout after Newry one,Selling 6ft upside down christmas trees complete with 80 lights and ornaments,also selling 40 christmas cards,wreaths etc all for 1P each.Said they would be putting out more stock tomorrow.if you happen to be there at the right time fantastic bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 voproductions

Sainsburys had a Dyson DC14 for £210 on sale in Arnotts for €454 during january.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jaykai

hammer1 wrote: »
    I’ve used recessionbustours.ie on friday to go to Newry and it’s brilliant i’ve saved a fortune. It was so handy getting all da shopping delivered. Makes me realise how much we’re getting ripped off down here you know? I bought 10 bottles of wine and saved €10 on each. I bought a bottle of bombay saphire and saved €15 staight away.

the fella behind recession bus tours was on Matt coopers Today Fm last week. fair play to the guy - he was laid off , made unemployed and all that. just started up with a bus to do the route and it took off. awesome stuff.

What'd ye think of them,me and my friends were thinkin of headin up with them but wanted to hear from someone whos used dem before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 hammer1

yeah i saw an ad in the herald the other day and booked them for last friday.it took just over in an hour(bus lanes-great when you can use them) to get there, went to sainsburys to stock up on booze and food for a few weeks. Couldnt get over the savings on everything-but passed by the home brand rum for £5-saw 2 young kackeresque lads even turnig it doen, like paint stripper they said.
    dropped off me bags at the courier van &went for breakie for half price(we were gave vouchers for different joints, half price etc on the bus when i got on),went up into the buttercrane and got a few dvds and cds. went on further into newry town centre- didn't realise how big it was-got a few tops! got a coffee(discounted) in obriens and back to the bus 4 1. got home at quarter past 2, all me shopping got home at 5ish, jobs a good'un
    realy easy and friendly, for 30quid ye cant really go wrong-defo recommend it-headin up again next week or so. i hear its really good for nappies and baby food and stuff especailly-they were advetising that they were startin a sligo run in march sometime-for all the ones down that country.

• Advertisement
Advertisement