Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Asda have the following deal,

Carlsberg 15 x 440ml cans - 3 for £20
    Fosters 15 x 440ml cans - 3 for £20
    Carling 15 x 440ml cans - 3 for £20

A 15 x 440ml can slab costs £10, so you buy 2 and get 1 free ;) Works out roughly @ 45 cans for €24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

DonJose wrote: »
    Asda have the following deal,

Carlsberg 15 x 440ml cans - 3 for £20
    Fosters 15 x 440ml cans - 3 for £20
    Carling 15 x 440ml cans - 3 for £20

A 15 x 440ml can slab costs £10, so you buy 2 and get 1 free ;) Works out roughly @ 45 cans for €24

Wasn't so long ago that 18 cans of Carslburg was £7 in ASDA

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Dooish

84.8 from saturday 14th in asda thats 4.8 change from last week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

was up in Sainsburys in Lisburn & The Outlet today - there's a men's clothes shop in the outlet (sorry can't remember the name) offering 1 pound to 1 euro.... don't know what the rate was elsewhere sorry - neither were overly busy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

account was debited by €24.51 so that was a rate was 0.816

Not necessarilly as that amount might include charges so the exchange rate could have been higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Not necessarilly as that amount might include charges so the exchange rate could have been higher.
    No charges. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Was in Newry today - absolute chaos, and will get steadily worse up until Xmas.

I'd advise anyone thinking of going up on a Sat to arrive before 9.30am, otherwise parking is a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Was in Newry today - absolute chaos, and will get steadily worse up until Xmas.

I'd advise anyone thinking of going up on a Sat to arrive before 9.30am, otherwise parking is a nightmare.

or just go somewhere other than newry

• Registered Users Posts: 22 T1961D

I am going up to sprucefield this weekend and I know that the sainsburys takes euro there, but does anybody know if the Asda up the road in the westwood shopping centre takes euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

These days they will. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

is it still chronic?
    coming from longford direction
    ty
    j

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

is it still chronic?
    coming from longford direction
    ty
    j

Try to use the Dublin road rather than the Sligo road you enter Enniskillen at Asda without having to go through town.

I was up there today and the staff were saying they had to close car park for an hour on Tuesday because it was so busy.

They also seem to be having problems with people clearing shelves of special offers.I was initially told they would not sell me 24 bottles of Coke .I only go up every 5 or 6 weeks so i 'stock up' on stuff like that .The cashier would only let me buy 6 bottles of coke .She also tried to take a block of cheese of me as well (i only had 4!).

I had to go and get manager and get permission to buy my coke ,which he did. Manager said somebody both 4.5k worth of Vodka on Saturday,and another bloke bought all of there washing powder on Sunday.Hence the new rules.

Nicoteen 4mg lozengers 72's (ASDA own brand) 8.36 euro .Branded stuff in my local Chemist 26 euro. Now i know branded products are going to be cheaper but the shops down here will not stock cheaper brands.

So if there is anybody planning on quiting in the new year better stock up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭sk8board

taking Friday off for a day of xmas shopping with herself.

Living in Nth Dublin, so its The Quays for breakfast, across to the Buttercrane, Damolly retail park and on to The Outlet in Banbridge. home to pick Jr up from the creche.

jobs a good'un.

Was listening to Major of Dub on about the patriotic duty again this morning on Newstalk. After 10 years of rectal examinations from the retailers of Dublin, who can blame us.
    (I don't see us stopping all that petrol tax being paid down at the ports before shipping it across the border! €140m p.a. seemingly)

andyeire wrote: »
    Try to use the Dublin road rather than the Sligo road you enter Enniskillen at Asda without having to go through town.

I was up there today and the staff were saying they had to close car park for an hour on Tuesday because it was so busy.

They also seem to be having problems with people clearing shelves of special offers.I was initially told they would not sell me 24 bottles of Coke .I only go up every 5 or 6 weeks so i 'stock up' on stuff like that .The cashier would only let me buy 6 bottles of coke .She also tried to take a block of cheese of me as well (i only had 4!).

I had to go and get manager and get permission to buy my coke ,which he did. Manager said somebody both 4.5k worth of Vodka on Saturday,and another bloke bought all of there washing powder on Sunday.Hence the new rules.

Nicoteen 4mg lozengers 72's (ASDA own brand) 8.36 euro .Branded stuff in my local Chemist 26 euro. Now i know branded products are going to be cheaper but the shops down here will not stock cheaper brands.

So if there is anybody planning on quiting in the new year better stock up!

what time where you there today, 9am by any chance

Had to be back early so was there at 7.30am :eek: (was on secound trolley by 9.00)

Nice time to shop not too many others around .

By 11.00 place is very busy

where on the dublin road do you hit asda?
    went from loughrea to athlone,took ballymahon road all the way to cavan town then straight to enniskillen, and straight into roadworks for an hour on the bridge.
    1st signs of life on the road we took was a big toyota garage on the rhs called
    western cars.
    i had to go through the town (from the dublin road) and it took a while with roadworks.
    any improvements?best time to arrive there?
    thanks
    j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

T1961D wrote: »
    I am going up to sprucefield this weekend and I know that the sainsburys takes euro there, but does anybody know if the Asda up the road in the westwood shopping centre takes euro
    they accept euro notes as well as laser cards in westwood

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

wot time do they open

where on the dublin road do you hit asda?
    went from loughrea to athlone,took ballymahon road all the way to cavan town then straight to enniskillen, and straight into roadworks for an hour on the bridge.
    1st signs of life on the road we took was a big toyota garage on the rhs called
    western cars.
    i had to go through the town (from the dublin road) and it took a while with roadworks.
    any improvements?best time to arrive there?
    thanks
    j

I use a satnav so i just follow that from what i remember after Cavan on the N54 turn right i think it is signposted Monaghon towards b533 and on to A34.
    I do it from Kinnegad to ASDA in 1hour 40 mins .Once over the border it is well signposted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

DonJose wrote: »
    I was in Asda Enniskillen last week, 2 bottles of Absolut Vodka 70cl for £18 or roughly €22, 1 bottle costs €22 in Tesco in the south. 2 for 1 on Vodka, can't beat that. Asda is a lot cheaper that Tescos IMO.

jaysus that's a great deal ill have tio be checking that out cheers for the heads up:)

I use a satnav so i just follow that from what i remember after Cavan on the N54 turn right i think it is signposted Monaghon towards b533 and on to A34.
    I do it from Kinnegad to ASDA in 1hour 40 mins .Once over the border it is well signposted.

finding enniskillen not a bother!
    avoiding traffic jams cos of road works a must!
    i travelled that dublin road into enniskillen and that is where i had trouble!
    but i had to go all the way thru town to get to asda any quicker way?
    ty
    j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Apologies for the quality of this image, its all I could find and its late. Basically if you travel to Enniskillen then you are safer coming in from the Belfast Road side. If coming up through Cavan then you can head through Lisnaskea and then into Enniskillen on the Belfast Road. This will get you right to Asda and Tesco and also close to the Erneside shopping centre.

Also from what I know Asda is open 24 hrs Monday to Friday, so if you hate crowds shopping then maybe a night visit. I'm from Fermanagh so if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help out.

enniskillen.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can alcohol be purchased all night?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭aoife161

Hi am planning to go to Belfast from Wicklow next week, mid week. Want to go to a big Asda for food/wine/children's clothes and do some adult clothes shopping also - was thinking the following -

Asda in the Westwood shopping centre and then over to The Park shopping centre, am I right in saying they are very near? Like 2-3km?

Or is Sprucefield a better place? Would be looking for shops like River Island, Next, Oasis, New look, saw that The Park has New look but not the others, is there a better shopping centre that would have these?

Also if anyone could recommend a good toy shop/Smyths near by

Any recommendations would be appreciated!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

aoife161 wrote: »
    Hi am planning to go to Belfast from Wicklow next week, mid week. Want to go to a big Asda for food/wine/children's clothes and do some adult clothes shopping also - was thinking the following -

Asda in the Westwood shopping centre and then over to The Park shopping centre, am I right in saying they are very near? Like 2-3km?

Or is Sprucefield a better place? Would be looking for shops like River Island, Next, Oasis, New look, saw that The Park has New look but not the others, is there a better shopping centre that would have these?

Also if anyone could recommend a good toy shop/Smyths near by

Any recommendations would be appreciated!! :)
    asda westwood is just off the M1 on the way into belfast. park centre is close but there is not much there apart from dunnes and new look. for the other clothes shops you mention, try forestside shopping centre. there is also an asda living (non-food store) at yorkgate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭aoife161

Thanks Milly4ever

Just noticed that shopping centre after I posted the toppic seems to have alot more choice

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 cliffo27

Toys R Us is in Sprucefield as well as sainsburys etc.... parking is widely available so i would recommend it..just back from there today.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,388 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Im not 100% sure but AFAIK they open and close the same as any other off licence in N.I.

I notice in Strabane that ASDA have the little rope chains around the off licence area but I have never been in it that late (or early ;)) to see it closed off.

finding enniskillen not a bother!
    avoiding traffic jams cos of road works a must!
    i travelled that dublin road into enniskillen and that is where i had trouble!
    but i had to go all the way thru town to get to asda any quicker way?
    ty
    j

Hairy Fairy's map explains what i am trying to say you come in on the A4 the Sligo Road and sit in traffic thru town i come in the Dublin road the A4 labeled 'Belfast' on Hairy Fairy's map.At least thats what the road is called on google maps it changes to the Belfast road further out of Enniskillen

Or maybe i was just to early to get caught in traffic on The Dublin road!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

There are an additional 10 tills being added to the Enniskillen ASDA at the start of December, so that should ease the congestion, but seeing as how it's like Christmas every weekend down there, maybe not til January!

When I am going there, I turn off the Cavan bypass at Butlersbridge/ Clones, then left at the roundabout (avoiding the village) and stay on the main road until a left turn off for Lisnaskea after you've crossed the border. After that, it's well signposted to Enniskillen.

• Advertisement

wot time do they open

sunday 1 to 6

they then open from monday at 8am and do not close again untill 10pm on saturday night

thanks for the map, makes it very clear!
    one last request,anywhere good for lunch?
    asda?
    j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

Depends what you are looking for lunch wise. Asda fare is well Asda fare. For a class pub lunch walk across to the shopping centre, go right through it and up into the town. The Bush Bar is one of the first bars you will encounter and has really good quality food. After that there are a number of pubs in and around the town centre doing pub food, all are decent. Also there are a number of shops you may want to visit up in the town.

These include Heatons, Woolworths, Top Shop, Easons, Edinburgh Woolen Mills, etc etc. As I said before, if stuck PM me and I'm happy to help with any queries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bond-007 wrote: »

Would love to know this guys, does anyone know? Would love to head up to Enniskillen after training tonight (11pm) to buy booze in ASDA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Find attached my shopping list - its gonna be a fun Christmas :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭andrew1977

For anyone heading up to The Outlet in Banbridge... sign up here..http://www.the-outlet.co.uk/
    For registering you get some discounts for additonal savings.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

What is the traffic like up there in the evenings. Heading up there this evening around 8 to get there for 9. The last few times I've gone it's been early and of course mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Is the traffic also mental for Enniskillen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

muckety wrote: »
    Is the traffic also mental for Enniskillen?

I was up in Enniskillen 2 Thursdays ago from 6.30pm - 7.30pm and it was fine. Loads of parking spaces in Asda and Tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

was in Newry yesterday,took 1 hour 10 mins from Dun Laoghaire(east link,port tunnel M1:D)then 45 mins from the bridge outside Newry to get to Buttercrane centre:(.

great bargins though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

There are quicker ways to get into the quays - hard to type up though.
    If it's that bad I'd just go to Sprucefield instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭sk8board

mondeoman wrote: »
    was in Newry yesterday,took 1 hour 10 mins from Dun Laoghaire(east link,port tunnel M1:D)then 45 mins from the bridge outside Newry to get to Buttercrane centre:(.

great bargins though.

what time was that? heading up tomorrow, but will be there by 9am, so not expecting too much traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Aldee84

andrew1977 wrote: »
    For anyone heading up to The Outlet in Banbridge... sign up here..http://www.the-outlet.co.uk/
    For registering you get some discounts for additonal savings.

For anyone saying this outlet is great, I actually found Junction one up past Belfast @ Antrim way better selection and more bargains, if you dot mind the driving I would recommend as I was quite disappointed going to the outlet when it opened.........Just a suggestion Google it and you will see the maps etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Was in Belfast today and went to Sainsburys across the road from Ikea. They are selling 1lt Baileys for £10, offer ends 25th Nov. They are selling Colgate Total toothpaste for £1. Also Cadbury selection boxs 2 for £2.49.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Would love to know this guys, does anyone know? Would love to head up to Enniskillen after training tonight (11pm) to buy booze in ASDA

you can only buy booze from 8am to 11pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

thanks a mill, trying to decide which end of the day to head up, hate shopping. do anyone know if any of the main shops do 24hr opening??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

thanks a mill, trying to decide which end of the day to head up, hate shopping. do anyone know if any of the main shops do 24hr opening??
    Quite a few of them open 24 hrs including ASDA in Strabane and Tesco in Derry. You should call the stores in Enniskillen and check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Can anyone tell me what the deals are at the moment in Sainsbury for Coors Light???

Currently Tesco 23.99 for 20 x 300 ml bottles.
    Super Value 17.99 for 20 x 300 ml bottles.

Want to make sure its worth my while for the trip this year.
    Have noticed increasingly better value on roses/celebrations
    6.25 in local centra
    6.99 in supervalu

2 for 10stg up north , which makes it the same to get them locally!!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

tweety76 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what the deals are at the moment in Sainsbury for Coors Light???

Currently Tesco 23.99 for 20 x 300 ml bottles.
    Super Value 17.99 for 20 x 300 ml bottles.

Want to make sure its worth my while for the trip this year.
    Have noticed increasingly better value on roses/celebrations
    6.25 in local centra
    6.99 in supervalu

2 for 10stg up north , which makes it the same to get them locally!!
    :rolleyes:

Dunnes in Cavan have 2 tins of Roses/Celebrations for 12 euro. That works out cheaper than the Dunnes up in Enniskillen. They are 10 pound for 2 tins there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

I know that the Quays in Newry is open until 10PM from next Monday 24th

Advertisement