Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

green bin switcheroo dilemma

Options
  • 08-10-2008 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

hi everyone,

firstly, this is not a 'marky bitchin' bout the council' thread.

i got home from work late last night and my green bin hadn't been collected.
    there was a sticker on the bin saying that it hadn't been picked up because i hadn't paid the new bin tax.
    this took me by surprise as i had paid it a while ago. then i checked the bin and indeed there was no sticker on it.
    some fecker had pinched our bin and left us with his/her unstickered one instead.:mad:
    i'm ringing the council this morning to arrange something but what is annoying me most is the scrounger who now has a free ride on our account.
    has this happened to you?
    and if so, what did you do about it?

cheers,
    marky

P.S. yes, i will be painting the house numbers on the other bins in huge letters ASAP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

what is annoying me most is the scrounger who now has a free ride on our account.
    has this happened to you?
    and if so, what did you do about it?
    Life is too short to be concerned about something like this. Your best bet is to learn that things happen that you can not control and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Life's too short?

Hardly when he's paid out for the bin service - why should he have to pay for it again?

Esp when there is a chance the same tosser will pinch the sticker again?

Markyedison, what did the council say when you made contact?

mick_irl wrote: »
    Hardly when he's paid out for the bin service - why should he have to pay for it again?
    Sorry, I missed the bit where the OP said that the council expected him to pay for it again.
    What if my bin has a sticker but is lost or stolen?

Please telephone 01 890 6708 and we will arrange for an inspector to confirm that your bin has been stolen or destroyed.

There is absolutely no indication the council expect him to pay again. Of course they may, but your guessing.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/EnvironmentAndWater/WasteRefuse/FAQsFixedEnvironmentalCharge/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭markyedison

mick_irl wrote: »
    Markyedison, what did the council say when you made contact?

Hi mick, I was pleasantly surprised by the councils response. They were v.helpful and even sympathetic. They're sending out a replacement sticker for the green bin and they have the serial number of my old bin on record, so whoever has my old bin will be caught out next time they leave it out.

net result, i'm left with an overflowing recyc bin for two weeks but also feeling well disposed towards our public service folks.

Marky

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I do love a story with a happy ending! :)

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I do love a story with a happy ending! :)
    Do you wheely? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

That was a rubbish pun. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

At least he tried to recycle it into a better joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭santry_goonshow

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Life is too short to be concerned about something like this. Your best bet is to learn that things happen that you can not control and move on.

All joking aside. Is that just the worst bit of advice ever given on these boards? If Mark hadn't become concerned like he did and pick up the phone there would have been no resolution. What you ought to do is ask them to find your bin or your sticker and report it to Oxygen. Did you have a serial number on either?

What you ought to do is ask them to find your bin or your sticker and report it to Oxygen.
    I'm sure Oxygen would love to listen to the story babe.

Then again why would Oxygen be concerned about a Fingal County Council Bin?

:rolleyes:

xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

because oxygen empty the councils green bins.

greatgoal wrote: »
    because oxygen empty the councils green bins.

Precisely, do all the eye rolling you like Bluetonic. Oxygen operates the green bin service on licence to the local authority. They are meant to take steps to ensure that fraud and theft do not occur. In this case the Council could take action against the person who misappropriated your bin, however, before that Oxygen will be required to seize the bin and establish which of your neighbours has done it. But you need to have your serial number.

A similar thing happened in our neighbourhood. And it turned out that it was an "honest" mistake. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Your bin has been found.
    Fingal County Council were left speechless this week after some of its wheelie bins were spotted almost 2,000km away in Romania.

The bins, which were spotted by Dublin adventurer Aidan Pedreschi, from Bayside, Dublin, who is currently cycling around the world for charity, have the county council's logo clearly stamped on them.

However, Fingal County Council says it has no idea how the bins came to be in Lovrin but it cannot carry out a full investigation without further details.

Weird

Mr Pedreschi discovered the rubbish bins in the small town of Lovrin.

In the bizarre twist of fate for Fingal's bins, the county council is still at pains to discover how they ended up in the eastern European country.

Mr Pedreschi detailed the unlikely discovery in his online travel diary www.acousticmotorbike.com last month.

"We set off from the hotel just before 9:00am and on the way out I noticed that all the wheelie bins were branded with Fingal County Council's name on them," he wrote.

"It was very weird, as every wheelie bin in the town was from my hometown."

At least three of the Fingal County Council wheelie bins were seen outside the small hotel in Lovrin.

However, Fingal County Council said it has no idea how the bins ended up in such a distant location.

A spokesperson said she can confirm that: "there are no circumstances where we have sold on or exported bins to Romania or any other country".

However, she added: "The bins in the images provided to us are Fingal County Council bins.

"The matter only recently came to our attention and we are trying to establish how the bins came to be used in Romania."

The county council cannot carry out a full investigation of the bins as yet, because it has not yet gathered enough information.

Investigation

"Unless we know the serial numbers of the bins, we cannot confirm which households they came from."

The bins, which are given to every customer for free, cost €20 for the customer to replace.

"We will be investigating this fully to try to establish how these bins came to be used here and would welcome any additional information which helps us in our investigation," the spokesperson added.

Mr Pedreschi is currently completing a round the world charity cycle to raise money for just-one.org and Child Action Nepal, who offer shelter, education and a family environment for orphaned children.

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/fingal-bins-discovered-in-romania-1499198.html

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

there you go,the romanians love the service so much that theyre taking it home with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

there you go,the romanians love the service so much that theyre taking it home with them.

With a bin full of cash they skimmed from your ATM card ;)

Seriously OP, just switch to greenstar if thats an option. Free sign up if you call them over the phone between now and 30th December and the green bin is free.

I have swapped and frankly I have been nothing but impressed with them, well as much as you can be about household waste :D

then next year they stick another hundred on top of the price,nah,ill stick with the devil i know.

then next year they stick another hundred on top of the price,nah,ill stick with the devil i know.
    What sort of logic is that :confused:

Greenstar are offering one year free and you would rather pay FCC €110 for the same service as you believe greenstar will jack up their prices?

Take the free year FFS. They send you a quarterly bill, if you dont like the 2009 charge then cancel and move back.

Bizarre.:confused:

greenstar is totally free for a year,you mean no charge whatsoever?so whats this quarterly charge and how much?

greenstar is totally free for a year,you mean no charge whatsoever?so whats this quarterly charge and how much?

Now you have it! Yes, one year FREE from date of sign up. No quarterly service charge, you merely pay for what you use. The green bin is free regardless of how many times you leave it out and the household bin is €2.80 plus the weight, usually comes in around €7.50.

I would usually only leave it out 1-2 times a month so its a hell of a lot cheaper than using cash grabbing FCC.

PS If you want a smelly brown bin they are a fiver, fixed charge per lift.

im being made redundant next month and qualify for the council waiver,so my green,black and brown bins will be collected free of charge.

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote: »
    Now you have it! Yes, one year FREE from date of sign up. No quarterly service charge, you merely pay for what you use. The green bin is free regardless of how many times you leave it out and the household bin is €2.80 plus the weight, usually comes in around €7.50.

I would usually only leave it out 1-2 times a month so its a hell of a lot cheaper than using cash grabbing FCC.

PS If you want a smelly brown bin they are a fiver, fixed charge per lift.

I sat down with my local Councillor about this (didn't vote for him -shh). The Council is not "cash-grabbing" at all and delivers the service to you and me at a loss. We live in one of the last Countries in the EU not to have Municipal charges levied at a local basis. Count yourself lucky, in fact be glad you've got away with it so long.

The other thing you ought to consider is that the Council has to provide all the recycling centres, while the private companies don't. If you think that a private company is going to do that for you you musta come down in the last shower.

I sat down with my local Councillor about this (didn't vote for him -shh). The Council is not "cash-grabbing" at all and delivers the service to you and me at a loss. We live in one of the last Countries in the EU not to have Municipal charges levied at a local basis. Count yourself lucky, in fact be glad you've got away with it so long.

The other thing you ought to consider is that the Council has to provide all the recycling centres, while the private companies don't. If you think that a private company is going to do that for you you musta come down in the last shower.

I dont give a hoop about FCC operating at a loss or the fact that we have "got away with it for so long", I'm making the decision as a consumer and the fact is Greenstar are cheaper and provide the exact same service for significantly less, allied to the fact that you arent help fund pointless bureaucracy.

And as for glass recycling, do you honestly believe fingal will revoke their random bottle banks around the county? No chance. I'll continue to make use of these like everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

The Councils provide these, along with glass recycling centres, with money from the Repak scheme. Hence the Repak stickers you can see on most of them.

Advertisement