Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade problem

Options
  • 08-10-2008 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭

I have just upgraded my CPU and graphics card in my Dell 9200 and I'm after kinda buggering my system.

Upgraded from:

CPU E6400 CPU to Q6600

Graphics X1950 pro to 9600 GT

Here's my problem;

The computer boots up ok from time to time, but more often than not the computer crashes and fan (that blows air onto the big heatsink over the CPU) switches on and gets louder and louder.

I've tried switching back both graphics card and the CPU but I still get the same problem so it has to be something I did myself.:o

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does it sound like a blown mobo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

sounds like a bad thermal bond between your heatsink and your CPU. did u use thermal paste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Ishindar wrote: »
    sounds like a bad thermal bond between your heatsink and your CPU. did u use thermal paste?

There was some already on the heatsink, I assumed there was enough.

Would something as simple as that cause it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yes, you need to reapply it, using the old stuff is really not advisable, sounds like your cpu is just overheating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Applied new paste and it's working like a charm.

Many thanks!

Advertisement