Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever seen such a rip-off ?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well their other prices aren't so bad, just casually looking I see a 9600GT KO for 99 euro, which is pretty good - all that old stuff often commands a premium because rather then replace the whole system some people just prefer to replace that one part, even if that means paying over the odds. Look at e-bay for example, a Pentium D 950 can fetch up to 60 euro, as can a socket 478, high speed P4. I've seen some of the FX chips go for REALLY insane prices as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

collectors item?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

I sold 1700+ chip about 2 or 3 years back for i think €25. If only i held onto it. I also have a Barton 2500+ i wonder how much that will fetch :)

If you want to see rip off's go to PC World and look at their Video cards. Pitty the people who spend €200 or €300 on the crap they have on display.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Old equipment isn't made anymore, and usually very expensive to replace.

You can imagine all the embedded systems running Pentium's and Pentium II's, when they fail, they usually have to pay a premium to get them replaced.

Now socket A isn't old enough really to warrant a huge premium, but if someone desperately needs one, they'll pay €50 in a heartbeat.

Banks especially face problems in keeping their equipment working, due to the slow upgrade process, and necessity to keep ancient software working on ancient hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

BadCharlie wrote: »
    If you want to see rip off's go to PC World and look at their Video cards. Pitty the people who spend €200 or €300 on the crap they have on display.

They've definitely improved lately, some of their prices are still off but for example they do have 9600GT OC cards for 160, which while more then online, isn't astronomically so. It's totally illogical though, they pay close attention to some prices and forget others, the 3870 still costs about 250 the last time I was in there....but if you know anything about pricing, you can get a card somewhat reasonably priced in there these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

The most annoying website i have seen in a long time, can't stand cheap ass websites.

Advertisement