Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games forum?

Options
  • 08-10-2008 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

This forum is dead. The sub-division into consoles killed it a while back.

What other fourms do people visit? I'm looking for mature discussion (possibly on older games) and not fanboy system wars. I'm thinking Gamespot might fall into this category. Eurogamer is ok but really just contains massive threads discussing a particular game.

Any others?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I spend a lot of time on the forum over at www.exiledgamers.com, which is an Irish website.

It is a multi-platform site and there is a good bunch of people there. You should check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I'd hardly say it's dead, it's getting a dozen or two posts a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I agree, this forum isn't as active as it once was, but there's still interestering topics every now and then. If you post it, they will come :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

The penny-arcade forum is pretty damn good, and fairly funny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm finding the same myself. Very few posts on this forum and the other forums are full of tech difficulties with PSN and xbox live, recommend me a game posts and the nintendo forum is getting filled with R4 card threads. Not many good discussion threads coming up very often.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,595 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seems ok to me - the main games forum seems to be the reserve of miscellaneous PC games, is busy enough with plenty of active topics in the last 2/3 days & the console fanboys have their own sandboxes to play in; what's the problem?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

+1 to what pixelburp said, it's far from dead. I find it ticks along at a nice pace so you can read the day's posts without missing out anything important.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

last 10 threads

buysafe) Apple IP-Phones 3G 16GB......$350us Dollars
    Soby) Boards.ie-Fifa 09-Online League
    eVeNtInE) Mind-Controlled Gaming
    JCDenton) First Deus Ex 3 Details
    Maximilian) Fallout 3
    Kinetic^) Will games be better then real life?
    savemejebus) ok it's official GAME are A$$clowns
    whatawaster) Boards Fifa 09 Team?
    Melion) Opinions on FIFA 09
    newballsplease) Fifa 09 register

1 spam
    4 on FIFA
    1 3 year old thread on GAME
    1 thread on Fallout that gets 1 post a day

There's just not enough interesting discussion. Exiledgamers looks good, i'll give it a try.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,595 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So, uhhh, start some interesting discussions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Suggestion: Rename this forum to PC Gaming and limit its scope, similar to the Console forums? I think each game will then have a location for it to be discussed? Maybe?

/sheepishly returns to face the corner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Eurogamers forums are chock full of muppets - but are very busy...

TBH - a lot of the sub-forums for the games are also dead. As a random idea what about merging all of the games forums into 3 or 4 [PC, Nintendo, XBox, Wii]- or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

pixelburp wrote: »
    So, uhhh, start some interesting discussions :D

maybe i just have :)
    Suggestion: Rename this forum to PC Gaming and limit its scope, similar to the Console forums? I think each game will then have a location for it to be discussed? Maybe?

sub-dividing them more? I would have said that's the cause of the problem.
    TBH - a lot of the sub-forums for the games are also dead. As a random idea what about merging all of the games forums into 3 or 4 [PC, Nintendo, XBox, Wii]- or something like that

yep, this would be better. A lot of dead threads in game subforums might get more attention this way.

Anyway I'm not really complaining about the activity on this forum (well i am kinda), but it is what it is. I was more curious to see what other forums people visited since this one is a little bit quiet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Still not sure why they split the forum up. It was fine the way it was and practically everyone was against the idea :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

to the forum request forum to request a forum merger forum, where we can petition to have the forums turned back into one!

forum sounds stupid the more you say it...

No don't change it back thanks; "games" should be a nice miscellaneous area for gossip, discussions and non "fanatic" games (like Deus Ex, Stalker etc etc). The consoles are powers unto themselves so they can have their own sub-forum. :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Still not sure why they split the forum up. It was fine the way it was and practically everyone was against the idea :/

Suits me tbh .I've very little interest in 360/ps3 stuff, the few posts I see here is enough .A cross platform games forum means clicking into lots of threads , discovering its a console game discussion and then clicking back out.
    Not the end of the world but annoying enough.
    Also console fanboy wars ...just say no
    I'm all for subdivision me, (in fact, since I dont own a WII and am sick of filtering out threads about them .. I vote for splitting the Nintendo forum into Console/handheld ..who's with me?! ..anyone? ..hello..<echoes>)

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

I think maybe re-categorizing the sections is worth a go

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Otacon wrote: »

/sheepishly returns to face the corner...
    +1 to that .like I said I'm all for subdivision..
    I'd rather have a moderatly busy forum ,full of stuff that's relevant , than a heaving thread that I have to spend my time filtering out the stuff that isnt of interest to me..

Were does the general gaming discussion go if the Games forum is turned into the PC games forum?

Were does the general gaming discussion go if the Games forum is turned into the PC games forum?

Can you give an example of general game discussion? Not being condescending or anything, I just think that most conversations here could be placed elsewhere quite easily, except PC stuff.

• Advertisement

Otacon wrote: »
    Can you give an example of general game discussion? Not being condescending or anything, I just think that most conversations here could be placed elsewhere quite easily, except PC stuff.
    Well say someone wants to talk about game piracy, or some general article about game develoment houses, games journalism etc etc; this forum serves nicely as a nexus for all these kind of articles (aside from PC specific gaming).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

besides if we renamed this into "PC gaming" it'd just be the usualy suspects mumbling about how consoles are killing/dumbing down the PC gaming industry and how we'll all live to regret this.

The stroking of white persian cats will be optional, but recommended.

Seriously though, leave this be. It's a nice nexus for 'general' gaming topics, like DRM, Expos, what if's, Journalism (and lack thereof) and other tidbits that don't go anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

The thread has moved on a bit from the original topic but +1 for exiledgamers.com
    Another one is www.controlled-aggression.com
    Its only new and fairly similar to exiled but good all the same.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Well say someone wants to talk about game piracy, or some general article about game develoment houses, games journalism etc etc; this forum serves nicely as a nexus for all these kind of articles (aside from PC specific gaming).

Game piracy discussions at this point in time are all focused on PC games. Piracy is not widespread on next gen consoles (yet).

As for game development houses, I have not seen them being discussed, without the initial post referring to a specific game.

Game journalism (besides single format publications), on the other hand, should indeed have their own space.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I say leave it as it is. It might not be a hot bed of news, but there are some good threads and some good discussions. Certainly dont split it up any further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

It's fine as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    It's fine as is.

Agreed, there are threads here that wouldn't fit into a PC/Console subforum, or at the least, are better suited to here.

I'm console gamer mainly, but I still check this section as often as any of the console sub-forums.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    It's fine as is.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gotta agree there. I still think that the console boards should be remerged into this board. It's gone from a great, thriving forum with lively debate to a ghost-town with nothing going on.

• Advertisement

It's gone from a great, thriving forum with lively debate...

Before the split, all I can remember, besides a few good debates, was warring-fanboi-muck clogging up the place. Now we seem to just have the good debates, though less than before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement