Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games forum?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

No, now its just the console fanboys against the pc fanboys :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Only when the new consoles were out as always. It calms down after that and any genuine trolling usually got shot down well in advance. Anyway there was usually one thread discussing the merits of consoles. Now we have numerous threads appearing each week in a variety of forums on the subject which seem to have attracted a lot more fanboys or threads degenerating in to fanboy wars. I think the real annoyance for me is all the tech questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The various sub-divisions of the Games category have seriously detracted from the posting on this particular forum.

I think most can probably agree that the category is probably too big, and I will look into getting some of the lesser used boards merged or culled.

The console boards too seem to take a lot of traffic from the games board. What are people's thoughts on moving multi-platform related posts to this board?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

The console boards too seem to take a lot of traffic from the games board. What are people's thoughts on moving multi-platform related posts to this board?

i'm for this. back to the old ways man...

if you don't want to read threads on the PSP don't read em. At least it will keep everything in one place and generate discussion from those that normally stick to Xbox or Nintendo subforums.

It would probably work the other way around too. I'd love to see a few Oblivion or Half-Life threads in here getting some general input rather than having them banished to areas that only the die-hard fans will contribute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Burga Galti

Speaking of Oblivion, surely the Eldar Scrolls forum should be incorporated into the games section while your at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Speaking of Oblivion, surely the Eldar Scrolls forum should be incorporated into the games section while your at it.

That was doomed from the start because it was put in Hosted, the black pit of hell. :rolleyes: It would have been far more popular if people could find it :D

I like this forum, it's a nice break from the console ones, even though the Xbox and Guitar Hero forums (I hate the word fora, and people who use it in an attempt to appear smarter than the rest of us) the most!!

The Forum is dead... Long live the Games Forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Otacon wrote: »
    Suggestion: Rename this forum to PC Gaming and limit its scope, similar to the Console forums? I think each game will then have a location for it to be discussed? Maybe?

/sheepishly returns to face the corner...
    i lol'ed !

in fairness people nowadays are more a fanboy than a gamer.

while we dont really want to go into more industry 'hardcore' game news aint we?recently like the review of some top class game designer on ESM(or what magazine is it called?) ,new game rumours etc - game forum will need to go to that direction so that we can have something new to talk about very often.but let's face that,our gamers community is not diverse enough.

while meself is getting less and less time on gaming.....:(less desire on new game in fact...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

seraphimvc wrote: »
    while meself is getting less and less time on gaming.....:(less desire on new game in fact...

me to.

/inner child dies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

The various sub-divisions of the Games category have seriously detracted from the posting on this particular forum.

I think most can probably agree that the category is probably too big, and I will look into getting some of the lesser used boards merged or culled.

I'm not pushed, but if any change should be made, it's a stop to games or game series getting their own sub-forum.

GTA, Half-life, Halo, Resident Evil, warhawk? Seriously, these games got so much traffic they needed their own forum? MMO's i can grasp, but this is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Exactly, and maybe rename Playstation to Playstation Exclusive etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

GTA, Half-life, Halo, Resident Evil, warhawk? Seriously, these games got so much traffic they needed their own forum? MMO's i can grasp, but this is madness.

i completely agree. a lot of these can go.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

and sega definately does not need it's own forum anymore

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sega has a nice little dedicated community that keeps it alive. It would ha shame to see it go if the other console forums are still kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

mayordenis wrote: »
    and sega definately does not need it's own forum anymore

Your status as a gamer has been revoked... ;)

It is pretty quiet alright, but I do like it being there.

I've had a think about it, an i think we should reduce everything down to about 2 forums. MMOs and Games.

I'm being serious here.

we don't really need the sub-divisions on the level we have them, do we really need to break things down for various consoles. They're all games.

Flamewars? Better modding would stamp that out far more than segregation. That doesn't solve the problem it just prevents the problem from occuring provided people don't look over a forum and see the one dedicated to the console that isn't theirs.
    If we want more conversation here we need more people, we won't get that by splitting games into smaller chunks based on Genre or system or whatever.
    And before people think what i'm speaking of is madness, the penny arcade Games and technology forum operates under this same principle and it (probably) has higher traffic that here and isn't a heaving sea of constant flamewars.

Ohh, And the only reason MMO's get their own space is well... WoW players, man. They're mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

www.grcade.com

born of the ashes of the official gamesradar forums when they closed last month. Great community spirit, (whole site was setup by GR forum members so wed have somewhere to go once the official forums closed) great laugh, intelligent discussion (sometimes), not cliquey or stuck up. Best forum around IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

0ubliette wrote: »
    Best forum around IMO

That's one way to get yourself banned! :p

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Splitting the forums divides the community of gamers, it means less discussion of general games and consoles, It should be reunited, Sure there will be Fanboys defending their games and consoles...But thats part of the action! :D

I've had a think about it, an i think we should reduce everything down to about 2 forums. MMOs and Games.

I'm being serious here.

we don't really need the sub-divisions on the level we have them, do we really need to break things down for various consoles. They're all games.

AT LAST. Someone on my wavelength. thelordofcheese for Mod!
    Splitting the forums divides the community of gamers, it means less discussion of general games and consoles, It should be reunited, Sure there will be Fanboys defending their games and consoles...But thats part of the action!

again agreed.

Sometimes i think more forums are created just to make the site look bigger than it really is.

Give me a large forum buzzing with discussion where i can pick and choose what i want to read (and avoid flamewars).

• Advertisement

Back to the old ways!

Many of the games forums dedicated to a single game or series are warranted but many of them aren't. Still think the console forums should be kept for tech issues so they don't clutter the games forum and people can still get help.

Ok voice your concerns on the feedback thread folks.

Lets demand one forum for all of Boards then 'bargain' them down to one for games.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Back to the old ways!

Many of the games forums dedicated to a single game or series are warranted but many of them aren't. Still think the console forums should be kept for tech issues so they don't clutter the games forum and people can still get help.

I'd argue against that on the grounds that if you have a tech issue the chances of it getting solved are directly proportional to the number of people who look at the forum.
    As little as i pay attention to the Nintendo/Sony/MS forums rightnow i'd pay even less attention if i knew it was all questions about the RROD and... well whatever else.

A compromise and prehaps a better solution might be easier to make a help/advice forum (3 forums? I'm clearly slipping. This far gentlemen and NO FURTHER) that covers all sorts of games related tech issues, so from steam not working and missing drivers to getting your Xbox online and all that....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

We could just have a subforum of Games for specific technical questions, regarding both consoles and pc's. Ranging from RROD's to game graphical problems etc...although we dont want it to get too technical on the pc side of things, as there are specific forums for graphics cards and what not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

3 forums - MMOs, Games and Fanboys. Let them talk amongst themselves about the benefits of their chosen console. Any discussion along those lines in the Games forum is an insta-ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Fine as it is.

noodler wrote: »
    Fine as it it.

tbh i think anyone who has been around for less than a year can't really make an informed suggestion on the games forum structure.

You think its fine because you weren't around to see the old way.

Same goes for you Pixelburp.

Tbh I'll voice my opinion regardless of whatever pretentious crap gets posted.

Cheers though.

i edited my post as i think it came across wrong. I'm not suggesting your opinion is any less important due to your join date. I mean, in this case, you can't compare the current game forum activity to what it used to be.

• Advertisement

Fair enough. The playstation forum however has a couple of new threads everyday. I think losing the console-divide would be a mistake.

You simply don't want RROD, or How to connected my ps3 to the net topics cluttering up a general games thread.

Maybe they could go for a multi-platform forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement