Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games forum?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,595 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

quarryman wrote: »
    tbh i think anyone who has been around for less than a year can't really make an informed suggestion on the games forum structure.

You think its fine because you weren't around to see the old way.

Same goes for you Pixelburp.
    I wondered how long before someone would wave their postcount penis around; longevity of membership has nothing to do with it (and thank you but I used to go under the moniker of "regeneration", so happily remember the "good old days" of what the games forum was like).

But then maybe that lovely friendly attitude is the real reason why the games forum is "dead", eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wondered how long before someone would wave their postcount penis around; longevity of membership has nothing to do with it (and thank you but I used to go under the moniker of "regeneration", so happily remember the "good old days" of what the games forum was like).

But then maybe that lovely friendly attitude is the real reason why the games forum is "dead", eh?

who mentioned postcount? I don't care how many posts someone has.

Glad you remember the good old days.

I'm not being unfriendly I'm just unhappy with some people's one-liners "fine as it is" when they have nothing to compare it against. Its obvious the forums aren't as lively as they were yet a few "leave it as it is" people are happy to watch it detiorate further.

Anyway, I started this thread to find out about other forums so i don't REALLY care about this that much!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,595 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

quarryman wrote: »
    who mentioned postcount? I don't care how many posts someone has.

Glad you remember the good old days.

I'm not being unfriendly I'm just unhappy with some people's one-liners "fine as it is" when they have nothing to compare it against. Its obvious the forums aren't as lively as they were yet a few "leave it as it is" people are happy to watch it detiorate further.

Anyway, I started this thread to find out about other forums so i don't REALLY care about this that much!
    Sorry but you're post came across as a bit "you don't count, you're just a newb" (to paraphrase), and "good old days" was being sarcastic on my part :)

I think though you're mistaking "less lively" for "dying". Just because there's not a dozen threads about Gears of War doesn't mean the forum is deteriorating.

Another thing to remember is that we have just gone through a fairly lean summer period for good games, so in the next months I'd say it'll pick up nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

noodler wrote: »
    Fair enough. The playstation forum however has a couple of new threads everyday. I think losing the console-divide would be a mistake.

Why?
    What would be so wrong with having those few new threads a day being part of a singular 'Games' forum?

Sorry but you're post came across as a bit "you don't count, you're just a newb" (to paraphrase),

Its grand, my post was written badly.
    I think though you're mistaking "less lively" for "dying". Just because there's not a dozen threads about Gears of War doesn't mean the forum is deteriorating.
    Yeah i don't think its really dying but its definately getting diluted. I find i need to browse 4 or 5 forums to find threads i might be interested. I NEVER visit arcade/retro, mainly because i don't have as much interest in arcade games but i'll bet that every so often something would pop up that i'd like to read. But i'm not going to check the forum every day to find out. And because of that i'm not contributing to that particular forum. I play it safe (and lazy) and stick to a few main ones.
    and "good old days" was being sarcastic on my part :)

i guessed that :)
    Another thing to remember is that we have just gone through a fairly lean summer period for good games, so in the next months I'd say it'll pick up nicely.

true. but we'll have Littlebigplanet in Playstation, Fallout EVERYWHERE (probably even retro - Thread: Fallout 3 vs Fallout 1), DeadSpace in xbox, maybe even a new FPS forum! etc etc. I'd love to have them all in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Well the number of stickies in each sub forum for a start would push anything new on a unified games forum back to the second page.

If we have a situation, in my opinion, where you have to scroll back a page or two to check out whats new in a thread you posted in recently then singular forums have a role.

Lastly, theres bound to be less PS3 v 360 stuff the way it is.

'Fine as it is' becasue there had been little suggested in the preceding posts that I feel would actually improve the boards.

This isn't the only games forum on the web-Im sure people know what a really busy one is like.

Well the number of stickies in each sub forum for a start would push anything new on a unified games forum back to the second page.

that's a good point. we should have a max of one sticky plus the obligatory MCD one.

If we have a situation, in my opinion, where you have to scroll back a page or two to check out whats new in a thread you posted in recently then singular forums have a role.

You can change the number of threads per page, i believe.
    Also this isn't a real problem, things don't move that fast and even if they did, is it that hard to click an extra link?
    I don't see any real reason to keep carving up the communtiy so people can have their own subforum and feel special.

Lastly, theres bound to be less PS3 v 360 stuff the way it is.

This just in "PS3 V 360 bullshit can be cured by people growing the fuck up."
    More at 11.

So people can feel special?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Practically all those stickies can be taken down now with the exception of live usernames etc. that could be joined together to make one sticky with links to the appropriate threads like I did with the friends code thread.

Also there's really only 3 threads going on in the PS forum at the moment, Wipeout HD, Fifa and Littlebigplanet. Their subsequent threads can be merged together to make 3 threads and to be honest thats about as busy as the PS forum gets.

• Advertisement

There should be ONE sticky:

XBOX FAQs. In that there is RROD, Live issues.

Same with each of the other sub-forums.

I think two stickies is probably more likely.

Thats not being very foresightful Retro. Theres gonna be a host of new threads for upcoming releases on the 360 and PS3.

I don't see the major problem clikcing on a link to get to and from.

Thats not being very foresightful Retro. Theres gonna be a host of new threads for upcoming releases on the 360 and PS3.

And? therefore? So?

They don't need a seperate forum because there is a busy period every 12 months. Besides, the bulk are multi-format releases which should be put into one thread (per release of course. Once FIFA whaeverthefuckyearitis thread and so on.)
    Sepearate threads on seperate console versions should be punishable by death.

Angry, angry man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think two stickies is probably more likely.

I don't see the major problem clikcing on a link to get to and from.

There was a load of new releases back in the PS1 and N64 days, just like during the Dreamcast, Xbox, Gamecube and PS2 days. There were never any problems back then and there was only 1 games forum with a few sub forums.

In the current system there will be threads about these games just like there would be with the old system. The problem is that the level of intelligent discussion has really taken a nosedive since the split and a lot of people don;t bother checking some forums that could say something informative.

Well the internet can generally be a problem if you are looking for intelligent discussion.

Get rid of having a sub-forum for gutiar Hero, gta, Qauke etc by all means. With those gone in particular there would be alot more to post in the console sections.

Angry, angry man.

Am i wrong though?

We can't get rid of Quake :O It's the one that started it all!

Yep some of those game specific forums should get killed off but you'll be surprised if you see little to no discussion on those topics when they are killed off. Before the split the games forum was more than enough to cope with discussion on games. Practically everyone was against the split but they went ahead with it anyway.

It's hard to understand what it was like before the split but in my opinion it was better.

Right and wrong is a little much.

Regarding what you say about multi-platform releases (which so many games are these days I will give you)-I personally would like to know which system is running it better, how the online experiences with the same game vary depending on the console/PC in question etc.

Obviously Xmas is the busiest time of the year but I still maintain things would be too tight if everything was in one forum. Just get rid of all the forums designated for a single game in particular and keep the console divide. Surely that would would mean alot more posts for the general game section.

No?

EDIT Retro: When did the split come into being? Would you not argue there are more users/members on the Game Forums now than previously? (Even if they aren't all extremely active at the moment).

Hard to understand? I doubt it. More Thread titles with the name of the game as a header I imagine? More people recognising other people due to the community in one forum which may be lacking from users who stay in the PS forum of today for example?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Would it not be possible to sticky 4 topics
    those topics would just be like "xbox discussion" "Playstaion discussion" "PC..." "nintendo..."
    It probably sounds silly but they would be a fine replacement for the multiple forums and then general game discussion or any gaming discussion could just be the normal player started threads

• Advertisement

Right and wrong is a little much.

Regarding what you say about multi-platform releases (which so many games are these days I will give you)-I personally would like to know which system is running it better, how the online experiences with the same game vary depending on the console/PC in question etc.

what makes you think this information cannot be contained within a single thread?

We have eurogamer to tell us that and I doubt very much anyone on these forums is going to buy two or more versions of a game to tell us this info. If there's something majorly wrong with a certain verison of a game you can be sure it will be posted. Anyway what would be stopping these types of threads being posted in a Games forum?
    Obviously Xmas is the busiest time of the year but I still maintain things would be too tight if everything was in one forum. Just get rid of all the forums designated for a single game in particular and keep the console divide. Surely that would would mean alot more posts for the general game section.

No?

A general games forum managed it before and managed it well, better even but thats my opinion.
    EDIT Retro: When did the split come into being? Would you not argue there are more users/members on the Game Forums now than previously? (Even if they aren't all extremely active at the moment).

Can't be sure when the exact split took place, think it was just before the current gen of consoles started. Boards has always been growing. I severly doubt we have more members now due to a split in the forums alone. I think we have lost quite a few regulars as well but again there's no evidence to place that on the split.
    Hard to understand? I doubt it. More Thread titles with the name of the game as a header I imagine? More people recognising other people due to the community in one forum which may be lacking from users who stay in the PS forum for example?

Well I think there was a better community spirit, anyone one trying to start a flame war was shot down and discussions were usually a lot better. There was less emphasis on popular games, there wouldn't be a rake of Fifa threads like there are at the moment in the PS forum and it is a multiformat release so what is it even doing there. There was also a decent amount of discussion on less popular games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'm gonna lock this and ask that you take any comments to the thread in feedback. No use having the same discussion going on in both threads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055394715&page=2

(In before lock!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement