Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone care to share their story?......

Options
  • 08-10-2008 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

How did you get to where you are today? - whether entrepreneur or business owner. What advice would you give to wannabe entrepreneurs like myself? :)

I think this could be a thread of great inspiration to others :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Simple,

Never trust anybody, even slightly. Friends, close family, great employees included etc

Sadly the vast vast vast majority of them are either stealing from you, trying to figure out how to steal from you, or doing so little that in essence they may as well be stealing from you. Once I got rid of the naiviety and nice guy aspect of my personality in work I became very successful, up until then I lost hundreds of thousands.

Sad but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Hammertime wrote: »
    Simple,

Never trust anybody, even slightly. Friends, close family, great employees included etc

Sadly the vast vast vast majority of them are either stealing from you, trying to figure out how to steal from you, or doing so little that in essence they may as well be stealing from you. Once I got rid of the naiviety and nice guy aspect of my personality in work I became very successful, up until then I lost hundreds of thousands.

Sad but true.

Don't think I've ever heard a statement more accurate than what Hammertime has just said there!

What he said is more of a hard earned lesson than a story, but another pointer...

Don't be afraid to send prospective employees for a full medical before making a hiring decision and tell the GP you are sending the person to, to test for illegal drugs, obviously with the candidates consent...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Hammertime wrote: »
    Simple,

Sad but true.

lol...nail on head.

Keep the hustle hustle on them, as soon as you stop, productivity drops. Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

I’m a bit surprised by that opinion – that you cant even fully trust family and friends, but I suppose you should just never mix that with business.

What about all of the practical insights, that’s what I’d be really interested in, things like:

What did you do before you started your business?
    How did you make the transition? i.e. Did you try it out part time first?
    How did you raise money?
    How many businesses have you tried, how many failed?
    How long has it taken you to get where you are?
    What are your regrets, what would you do differently?
    Do you work more or less now than you did as a paye worker?

A lot of questions I know, but I’d love to hear peoples experiences on stuff like that, people who have actually done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

wow, that all sounds a bit bleak kazzer....

are you saying you were ripped off by your family and friends?

i'm hoping to go into business with one or 2 of my best friends.... i couldn't think of anyone else i could trust more.....

• Advertisement

Although I've no experience of it myself, I think everyone here will say its a bad idea to go into business with a friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Few points-

Know your business - don't start a business unless you know the ins and outs of same.

Business plan - make sure you have one and make sure that you're confident that you have realistic targets and projections to hand.

Access to capital - don't expect that the banks will be favourable towards you initially. In an ideal suitation you should have money (yourself) to put up.

Trust no one - In business you're only as good as your last sale. Remember that there are plenty out there (in your marketspace) who will want to put you down and eventually seek to put you out of business. So don't be nieve to the challenges ahead.

Believe in yourself - this is key. Because if you don't no one will.

Siege mentality will get you far my friend. Good luck with what you do. There's a lot others who might not be so brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭betonit

assume nothing trust no one and remember only the paranoid survive.....enjoy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Flexitimer

Hi
    I'd been lecturing and a course director of 3rd level courses in entrepreneurship and marketing for 5 years until last Summer (07) when I finally realised I'd been preaching to myself in trying to persuade students to start their own business. So I took the leap.
    Few tips:
    Whatever your idea is make appointments with 10 potential customers to get their feedback and maybe assistance in design - if they don't bite, you're probably wasting your time.
    Start with the enterprise boards and get feasibility and employment grants for yourself and other directors.
    Do an Enterprise Platform Programme (EEP) programme in a variety of 3rd level courses - here you'll get access to cord funding from Enterprise Ireland which is excellent. I did the www.seepp.ie programme and my business partner is doing the Campus Development Programme is UCD Nova which is absolutely excellent.
    Do your research and try to throw some figures on the market
    Read lots of non-academic books e.g. tipping point, how to get rich - in that book he made an interesting point about 3 different age groups in setting up a company.
    The first ones straight out of college have nothing to lose and lots to learn so just go for it.
    The second age group are those mid career maybe late 30s-40s and and their hard work is beginning to pay off but there's an opportunity cost in leaving the corporate word.
    The last group and pre-retirement and are literally a few years from pension - he said he knew 3 people who went solo at this age, one committed suicide, one works in a bar in the Caribbean and the other went back to their old life. So I guess the lesson is now or never. Best of luck
    Joy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

The trust thing is strange (but understandable) and I have wondered about it myself...But don't you need other people at times - market research (quite early in the process), some skills you don't have perhaps, etc.

How do you get over this mis-trust / know how much info to give / do you just hope that no-one will take your questionnaire, think "that's a good idea" and try to beat you to market?

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    The trust thing is strange (but understandable) and I have wondered about it myself...But don't you need other people at times - market research (quite early in the process), some skills you don't have perhaps, etc.

How do you get over this mis-trust / know how much info to give / do you just hope that no-one will take your questionnaire, think "that's a good idea" and try to beat you to market?

i'd assume that your questionnaire would be vague enough so as not to spill the beans...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭information

Culchie wrote: »
    lol...nail on head.

Keep the hustle hustle on them, as soon as you stop, productivity drops. Give them an inch, and they'll take a mile.
    If you have that attitude you will never grow a large scale company, as it all depends on you watching everything.

The best way to motivate staff is to encourage them and give them responsibility. It's give and take, you need staff just as much as they need a job. If you can't trust staff and have faith in their ability you are doomed.

betonit wrote: »
    assume nothing trust no one and remember only the paranoid survive.....enjoy it

Wouldn't be a fan of Andy Grove's school of management theory now to be honest with ya!

If you have that attitude you will never grow a large scale company, as it all depends on you watching everything.

The best way to motivate staff is to encourage them and give them responsibility. It's give and take, you need staff just as much as they need a job. If you can't trust staff and have faith in their ability you are doomed.

When I left college, I came out with my head full of theory X and theory Y bull**** and Elton Mayo theory nonsense in my head. After being through the university of life, I have to concur with another poster here that good reliable honest hard working employees are EXTREMELY hard to find. I had this conversation recently with a mate who employs around 30 people and he reckons that 2 of that group, maybe 3, actually give a sh*t about his business, the rest only care about the cheque at the end of the month... It's seems to be a rule of thumb that 10% of your workforce will go out of their way for you, the rest will just put in the minimum hours to keep you off their back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Flexitimer

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I had this conversation recently with a mate who employs around 30 people and he reckons that 2 of that group, maybe 3, actually give a sh*t about his business, the rest only care about the cheque at the end of the month... It's seems to be a rule of thumb that 10% of your workforce will go out of their way for you, the rest will just put in the minimum hours to keep you off their back.

Hi Darragh
    I agree with you about that sort of endemic apathy but it also can depend on the way you hire people. If you employ full-time permanent people to sit at a desk (or whatever) for 40 hours per week, well that's what they'll do. Instead you can get contractors, freelancers or part-timers and with a tight brief you can reduce and possibly eliminate a lot of that. I've been freelancing and contracting for 8 years and I knuckle down, get the job done and am out before the rest of them. Maybe it's back to earlier theories - classical conditioning i.e. result = reward. Think this way of recruitment particularly during this economic climate is the way forward.
    Regards
    joy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I think you'll find that my staff are delegated alot of responsibility, and I have tremendous faith in their ability.... I hired them afterall.
    I've invested in their training, and to the best of my knowledge they are extremely happy at work.
    I think you are being a little presumptious in thinking we're doomed also.... we're out the door with work to be honest.

However, if you think staff work as hard when the boss isn't around, you're probably looking at things from a theoretical point of view from a text book.

I did it myself when I was a PAYE worker, so I think no less of them for that ... but if I see it slipping, I hustle it along....I have to, I have orders to fulfil....I have customers to satisfy, and I've got overheads to cover. As much as I'd like to have a pallsy wallsy club, the business world doesn't work that way.

Culchie wrote: »
    I think you'll find that my staff are delegated alot of responsibility, and I have tremendous faith in their ability.... I hired them afterall.
    I've invested in their training, and to the best of my knowledge they are extremely happy at work.
    I think you are being a little presumptious in thinking we're doomed also.... we're out the door with work to be honest.

However, if you think staff work as hard when the boss isn't around, you're probably looking at things from a theoretical point of view from a text book.

I did it myself when I was a PAYE worker, so I think no less of them for that ... but if I see it slipping, I hustle it along....I have to, I have orders to fulfil....I have customers to satisfy, and I've got overheads to cover. As much as I'd like to have a pallsy wallsy club, the business world doesn't work that way.

Spot on, the view from the text book is so naive and plain wrong as towards what goes on in reality.

I treat all staff as I would like to be treated myself, I very much enjoy a laugh and the slagging and banter but at the bottom of it all they are only working for you because without a job they don't get paid. And similarly I only employ them because I need people to do things for me. Once them lines are understood and respected then everything operates fine.

Anyone who thinks that staff attitude and productivity does not go through the floor when the boss goes on a weeks holiday is living in dreamland.

Yes them managers we have in place are far better than the standard employee with regard to their level of responsibility and how much that care about the job/company etc. But its still way way way below what it needs to be in order for them to be considered even close to the equal of the Owner / Managing Director in terms of seeing the big picture.

Basically the tiny percentage of people who are that good are usually climbing so fast up the ladder that the only job left for them is the top one, and only one person can occupy that.

As for being doomed otherwise? All of my ventures are flying, with profitability up on the same 9 month period last year.

Its not all so black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Don't want to sound like a moderator, but we're going way off topic here - employee motivation and performance certainly are an element of our stories so far, but when I read the title I anticipated something slightly more informative and interesting that a whinge-fest about trusting no-one and sub-optimal employee performance .......... come on, let's raise the bar a bit!

I worked fulltime in multi-national land for over 20 years, and left with a package last year.
    Attended the Business Start programme with the Enterprise Acceleration Centre in Limerick early this year - great programme.
    Have worked on a consulting / contract basis for the past 9 months while at the same time developing an online project management service that's about to be launched in the next 2 weeks - and I've about 2 months work to do in that time, so God knows what I'm doing logged on here!!!!

More anon as the launch happens!

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Don't want to sound like a moderator, but we're going way off topic here - employee motivation and performance certainly are an element of our stories so far, but when I read the title I anticipated something slightly more informative and interesting that a whinge-fest about trusting no-one and sub-optimal employee performance .......... come on, let's raise the bar a bit!

+1 :)

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Don't want to sound like a moderator, but we're going way off topic here

Fair point. But regarding the topic no one is going to give out details of their businesses and interests on an open internet forum. What info the OP is hoping for is not going to be forthcoming I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭leiwand

hi there,
    I have never really worked for anybody else so only know the self employed route.

i've opened and ran clubs,pubs ,restaurants and a sandwich bar and employed literally hundreds of people over the last twelve years. So as not to repeat myself,if you're interested, some of my business experiences are detailed in previous posts.

my mother was a school principal for many years and gave me some great advice at the start.she said people are the hardest resource to manage but invest in them and you will receive the greatest reward. i started out, largely due to a lack of confidence on my part, with a "my way or the highway" attitude to people management.
    i have grown to believe that this approach is flawed. i believe you can motivate people without fear.you earn people's respect and loyalty. i have promoted many of my management from within our organisation.
    it takes time before i trust people and over the years my radar is more finely tuned and mostly i have been richly rewarded by placing my trust in others.most of my business is cash based and i would be naive to think some members of my staff have not dipped in the till but i make sure my controls are stringent.
    i also freely share information about my experiences. i won't divulge all details but have learnt so much from others in similar professions that it is a crucial way of educating myself . due to its solitary nature i have found there is great solidarity amongst many entrepreneurs!!

b.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I completely and utterly, 100%, disagree with the sentiment of trust noone. There's cautiousness and a small amount of healthy paranoia, but successful businesses are never built in a vacuum.

Many thanks for your input, Bruno.

Trojan wrote: »
    I completely and utterly, 100%, disagree with the sentiment of trust noone. There's cautiousness and a small amount of healthy paranoia, but successful businesses are never built in a vacuum.

Well maybe not overtly go around with a suspicion of everyone in your business but at the end of the day, you can't afford to get complacent. You really can't trust anyone but yourself...

Well maybe not overtly go around with a suspicion of everyone in your business but at the end of the day, you can't afford to get complacent. You really can't trust anyone but yourself...

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

As a general rule I think that's wrong. However I guess it depends on context and can be right in some specific circumstances.

For example, I'm working with some friends on a project, and we've got a solid business plan. We're now looking for investors. How do we weigh wanting to keep our idea secret versus showing it to people who could potentially take the idea and run with it? Sometimes you have to take the risk.

Now the situation where it's correct is where you're in a market with a lot of very similar competitors and you want to roll out something unique. In that case you'll want to keep it quiet and present a fait accompli.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ur mentor

Hi
    Figure out how much you need to survive. Be honest. Food, housing etc.
    How long can you survive on savings, dole etc.

Bring product sevice etc to a number of potential customers. See will they buy it. How much will they pay, how often will they buy it. Then get out calculator and see if you can live on that.
    Then do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

ur mentor wrote: »
    Hi
    Figure out how much you need to survive. Be honest. Food, housing etc.
    How long can you survive on savings, dole etc.

Bring product sevice etc to a number of potential customers. See will they buy it. How much will they pay, how often will they buy it. Then get out calculator and see if you can live on that.
    Then do it.

Really you should be making the product around the market that wants it, rather then making the market around the product which you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Successful entrepeneurs/businesses can be measured in several ways. I've seen a number of cases where well run companies were poorly managed by shortsighted managers but still generated profits. I've also seen highly motivated 'gun ho' managers run companies and employees almost into the ground with fear and excessive control.

Who wants a to own and manage a business where no one trusts no one or worse still where there is ME and THEM and never the twain meet? That's poor business sense. I run a company and quite successful, making reasonable profits but the TEAM moral is very good and TRUST is essential. There is no siege mentality environment, I want staff to feel part of a team, and not feared foxes caught in headlights. In the absense of mutual trust, a business is going to suffer.

You may not have to love one another, but respect and trust are fundamental, how you could want to manage or own the work environment is pointless.

There are many drivers, but certainly one is to have a passion for what you do, it will probably take you through the early stages. If possible minimise VC involvement, try and raise money other sources, probably impossible in current climate.

Above all else be honest, trustworthy, respectful, professional, innovative and being competitive will also help. But it will also be the softer skills that might appeal more to somne customers, people respect honesty, and where this is lacking, I'd say 'stay clear'.

• Advertisement

So, back to the original theme of the thread......

As a successful business owner/entrepreneur, HOW did you get where you are today? How did you get things off the ground?

I realise people may not want to share sensitive information, but I'm just asking for general info. Like what have you done right, what have you done wrong? How has your life changed, i.e do you have more or less free time working for yourself? Is it worth it?

Thanks again for all the input.

Advertisement