Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start

Options
  • 06-10-2008 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey after trying to get friends to start with me for forever have decided to start on my own. Just wondering what sort of wetsuit should I get, have an old one but don't think it would be warm enough for winter time, any suggestions? Also was thinking of going to Tramore surf school as seems closest to where I live...would it be better to start with group or individual lessons? So excited to get started now! Any suggestions appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Only copped this now, split to separate thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

My friend and I are actually starting properly today after over a week of waiting for the surf shop in tramore to ACTUALLY get bolts and fins for two of our surfboards.

At 1st I didn't want to start on my own but after I was out in the water a few times with my friend ive gotten use to it so it wouldn't bother me going out on my own!

As for starting with lessons or not.. I think it could be down to how much patience you have to learn on your own.. If you don't have much patience I would get lessons.. but wheres the fun/satisfaction in learning yourself then :p!?

I basically don't have a clue what im talking about when it comes to surfing so don't mind me :D

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

dazftw wrote: »
    I basically don't have a clue what im talking about when it comes to surfing so don't mind me :D

True. Bad surfing, or bad anything for that matter, is usually as a result of no one telling you that you are doing something wrong that an instructor would have.

Wetsuit- 5'3 with lots of flex. Ask the guy in the shop and make sure you try stuff on before you buy. It should fit you like a second skin.

Buy a rash vest. Saves your neck and gives more insulation in the cold.

When it comes to your first lessons, there is very little an instructor can actually impart besides the positions of how to stand up and a bit of water saftey. The rest is up to you and if you happen to know any intermediate surfers, they can teach you the basics for free.

Surf T Bay charge €60 for two hours inc. gear. There is a waste of time (IMO) video followed by 2 hours in the water. If you look like you are reasonably confident, you can stay at it for another 2hrs or so.

Lastly- IMO dont buy a board until you can catch and ride about 80% of the waves you attempt on a school board. Those things are so big and buoyant you can almost stand on them without moving. Get a suit and keep renting a foam board till you have mastered the pop, stance and ride, then buy a board.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rachwex

Kell wrote: »
    True. Bad surfing, or bad anything for that matter, is usually as a result of no one telling you that you are doing something wrong that an instructor would have.

Wetsuit- 5'3 with lots of flex. Ask the guy in the shop and make sure you try stuff on before you buy. It should fit you like a second skin.

Buy a rash vest. Saves your neck and gives more insulation in the cold.

When it comes to your first lessons, there is very little an instructor can actually impart besides the positions of how to stand up and a bit of water saftey. The rest is up to you and if you happen to know any intermediate surfers, they can teach you the basics for free.

Surf T Bay charge €60 for two hours inc. gear. There is a waste of time (IMO) video followed by 2 hours in the water. If you look like you are reasonably confident, you can stay at it for another 2hrs or so.

Lastly- IMO dont buy a board until you can catch and ride about 80% of the waves you attempt on a school board. Those things are so big and buoyant you can almost stand on them without moving. Get a suit and keep renting a foam board till you have mastered the pop, stance and ride, then buy a board.

K-

Cheers thats great info, like the sound those foam boards. Pop, stand and ride...sounds simple...I wish!

rachwex wrote: »
    Pop, stand and ride...sounds simple...I wish!

It is. If it was difficult do you think I could do it? LOL

The report looks reasonable for Tramore this weekend so should be heading there this weekend.

K-

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

Kell wrote: »

I'll contradict slightly, having been through this recently. My advice, would be to buy once you're sure you'll keep it up. For me, that was after 2-3 sessions renting. I was sure I'd stick with it and I started buying stuff. That's what myself and two friends did and although those foam boards are easy to stand on, I found a large BIC is even easier if for no other reason than the fact it'll be waxed. Maybe that was just me, but that's certainly my experience. Those rental foam boards are slippery, banged up and for me, I could never be sure they'd have an 8'6/9' board there for me.

Your board is the most expensive part (because you gotta transport that baby once you have it), so my advice would be to buy a wetsuit first to save on the cost of renting one and then go for a board. When purchasing the board, make sure you factor in the cost of a roofrack, a leash, fins, wax, roofrack ties, a keypouch (or having some method of keeping your car keys off your tyres when you're in the water) and a bag.

My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

IMO, and this comes from learning myself and from having seen a few of my friends learn recently, one of the key factors would be to try and go out in the most suitable conditions and in the most suitable location. When you are just int hw white water it's not so critical, but as soon as you want to advance to cathing unbroken waves this is critical. Some breaks are not good for beginners, some are ideal. Also, if it is too big you'll just get tired and frustrated, especially if you are small and not very fit/strong.
    I have found that I have spent ages getting no where is crappy conditions, and then when I've found nice clean waves of a good size, I've made huge progress.

So once you want to progress from the very basics in the white, my advice is to be selective about the conditions that you go out in and choose a good beach/break. This way you will spent a lot less time struggling and more time actually progressing.

Hope this makes some sense.

phil wrote: »
    Those rental foam boards are slippery, banged up and for me, I could never be sure they'd have an 8'6/9' board there for me.

Contradiction is great- fuels more imagination. I was more referring to going from a school board to a fish circa 6'8 or smaller. The amount of people, even here who wonder why they cant stand on a board thats too short for them is unreal. You see it all the time in the water with people with boards that are evidently too short for them and the size of the surf on the day.

You had sense and went for presumably something around or bigger than a 7'6 which for me is the natural progression size from a school board.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭COOKSTER

Few things.
    Before you even get to the beach there are some instruction videos on u-tube, look at the one on popping up. Practice it as much as you can at home. Go and swim a couple of times a week for 3 weeks before you start. If you are a bit older, do some yoga, particularly the "salute to the sun" which builds great strength and flexibilty in the muscles you will use most for popping.

If renting, get a board that is at least 1foot taller than you. make sure it has fresh wax on it. Make sure the velcro and bindings are in reasonable nick on the leash. Practice paddling on the board so that the nose is skimming the surface of the water (not tipping forward or back) and making sure it doesn't tip left to right. It is very important to be balanced when a wave hits you. Paddling across the face of a wave will generally see you coming a cropper.
    agree with some of the previous posts. Good waves = faster learning curve.
    Once balance is sorted you can try paddling for some waves. If you are in mush/white water, try get close to where the wave is breaking as this is where it has more energy. If the waves are not too big, or your balls are, you can paddle out past where the wave breaks (called out the back) and come back in to the line-up(where people take off from). this is just before the point where the wave breaks.
    I won't get into what to do next, it involves GOING FOR IT. just make sure you have researched the area for underwater dangers like rocks and rips. What's the tide and wind up to? Check the sea area weather forecast. And don't just rush in. If its cold, stay in the car and watch the beach for 20-30 mins and see if you can read the wave sets (they come in groups generally).
    Use the internet like a good sponge and get as much info as you can.
    For wetsuits, unless you plan surfing for over 2hours at a time November thru
    March, then I would recommend a 3-2mm suit. If you spend over €200 on a good brand it should keep you fairly snug. Try suits by different makers as they all fit different bodyshapes.

Hope this helps

See you out there

P.S. Don't surf alone and make sure someone on shore knows where you are and how long you'll be

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

hey cookster im jsut starting out at the moment too and while this forum is good its not hugely active is there any other irish dedicated surfing forums?

heading to castlegregory for the weekend hopefully the conditions will work out in my favour gonna check out those videos before i go thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭paddybar

castlegregory should be good on sat but ffs please stay out of the water sunday .gale force winds are forecast so it will NOT be safe for learners

Thanks for the advice! Had the 1st lesson in Tramore today...very wet and wild, nearly chickened out. Was able to get up :) but not for very long. Found it hard to do the pop up, was more of a get up, does it just take loads of practice? Going to go again next weekend but just rent gears, hopefully won't be as choppy or is that just Tramore? :D

Thanks for the advice! Had the 1st lesson in Tramore today...very wet and wild, nearly chickened out. Was able to get up :) but not for very long. Found it hard to do the pop up, was more of a get up, does it just take loads of practice? Going to go again next weekend but just rent gears, hopefully won't be as choppy or is that just Tramore? :D

God yes, practice, practice and more practice.

hopefully won't be as choppy or is that just Tramore? :D

Always depends on the wind and that pretty much goes for anywhere. Check either www.windguru.com or www.surf-forecast.com for the wind speeds before you decide to book. If its anything above 25km and onshore/cross, it'll get messy and dumpy. Cant remember what Tramore works best in, but surf-forecast.com will tell you.

Good for you that you got up on the first lesson!

K-

If your unsure of the conditions before you head down ring the surf centre and ask for the forecast. Thats what I always do. They open in or around 10. 051330720

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mags345

Jus lukin thro there yere advice guys i'm a newbie too i'll keep thoses tips in mind.

Was checking out conditions for tullamore for weekend...saturday 18 km/h with N winds or sunday 50 km/h NW winds...either those conditions be any good for beginners? 50 km...think those waves be too fast :eek:

Tramore...doh!

Yeah I reckon if the winds really are that strong they'll blow out anything that was there anyway. Not worth the drive down IMHO.

Advertisement