Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legality of filtering through traffic

Options
  • 08-10-2008 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Is it legal to filter through stationary traffic?
    I was pulled over by a motorbike gard this morning for doing this on O'Connel St heading south outside Clery's. He told me I was expected to stay left and remain in lane behind traffic. I had just overtaken him whilst we were both in the bus-lane and the bike lane marked was blocked by buses. I was careful to indicate and was only doing 10mph.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Mistake in first reply: see below

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Flip him the Bird .|. cross the road and ride like the wind...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

What you're "expected to do" and what you're legally required to do may be entirely different things, especially if the bike lane is blocked.

Sounds like this moto-cop was in a bit of a snot (as I find they often are). He probably just didn't like being overtaken.

(How's Fannie Mae, by the way?)
    Is it legal to filter through stationary traffic?
    I was pulled over by a motorbike gard this morning for doing this on O'Connel St heading south outside Clery's. He told me I was expected to stay left and remain in lane behind traffic. I had just overtaken him whilst we were both in the bus-lane and the bike lane marked was blocked by buses. I was careful to indicate and was only doing 10mph.

Thanks for any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

If it was illegal, then I should be in prison by now. I do this every day, without fail. I cycle to work because I can get away with doing this... otherwise I would drive a car. I also have done it infront of Gardaí bikes. I suppose if you got off and walked your bike through the cars he'd have come up with another classic excuse to have a stern chat with you...

Your Garda friend was probably just a bit bitter because you were able to get ahead.... :rolleyes:

Forget about it. Continue as you normally do. And be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

I found a lot of cycling legal mumbo jumbo on my server about cycle lanes. I'll post it up if people want but I wouldn't subject anyone to that double dutch unless they asked me to!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I believe it is legal if traffic is stopped, or "moving in queues" (slowly.) Here is an article dealing with the situation in the UK for motorcyclists which is probably similar.

Lumen wrote: »

Thats much easier on the brain that what I found

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Lumen wrote: »

There's no specific law banning cyclings from weaving through traffic but you are expected to follow the rules of the road and that means not causing a danger to yourself and other road users - and don't try to tell me weaving through traffic isn't dangerous!

It drives me crazy how reckless cyclists are in this city. I cycle to work most days and its usually the serious cyclists (wearing proper cycling gear, on an expensive bike) who think they are above the law and never obey the traffic signals. As a driver they are downright dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 freddie mac

thanks I will continue to cycle safely. I don't think he took too kindly to being overtaken whilst he was illegaly in the bus-lanes so he had to think of an "offence". Not worth the hassle to ask him which part of the Road Traffic Act he would quote.

• Advertisement

Hmmmmmm
    (3) (a) Subject to paragraph (b), a pedal cycle must be driven on a cycle track where one is provided.
    (b) Paragraph (a) shall not apply in the case of a cycle track on the right-hand edge of which traffic sign number RRM 023 has been provided,
    (i) where a person driving a pedal cycle intends to change direction and has indicated that intention, or
    (ii) where a bus is stopped in the cycle track at a point where traffic sign RUS 031 (bus stop) is provided, or
    (iii) where a vehicle is parked in the cycle track for the purpose of loading or unloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I don't think that applies as there isn't a mandatory cycle track in that location

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

eth0_ wrote: »
    There's no specific law banning cyclings from weaving through traffic but you are expected to follow the rules of the road and that means not causing a danger to yourself and other road users - and don't try to tell me weaving through traffic isn't dangerous!

What's "weaving" got to do with anything on this thread? The discussion topic is filtering through stationary traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It drives me crazy how reckless cyclists are in this city. I cycle to work most days and its usually the serious cyclists (wearing proper cycling gear, on an expensive bike) who think they are above the law and never obey the traffic signals. As a driver they are downright dangerous.

I've seen some horrific behaviour from all types of cyclists. A guy I cycled with recently (not of this forum) was a very good race cyclist, but flouted every rule going. It made me ashamed to cycle with him.

that is my point both myself and the garda had been filtering through stationary traffic at approx.10 mph. I think the message is not to overtake fat biked garda.

Original Poster: did you get a ticket, or just a "telling off"?

I think he was trying to tell me off but as I couldn't work out the offence I didn't really accept his argument. What could he have charged me with given he had behaved in exactly the same manner all the way down O'Connell St?

I think he was trying to tell me off but as I couldn't work out the offence I didn't really accept his argument. What could he have charged me with given he had behaved in exactly the same manner all the way down O'Connell St?

He must not have had his coffee this morning :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

I also had a garda give a very absurd warning this morning.

He told me i wasn't allowed overtake on the inside he was stopped at traffic lights and was the second vehicle, when the light went green i was level with him in the traffic and took off around the left hand turn he took exception to this. Pulled me over told me he could take me to the station for not having a hi vis vest no helmet and overtaking on the inside, because he had no windows on the side of his van and couldn't see me

I didn't want to point out thats what his wing mirror was for and there was no legal obligation for me to wear a helmet or hi vis vest.

I have lights on the bike but this was 8:30 this morning so i didn't need them.

I just nodded my head said yeah yeah yeah and left him go.

I think he was annoyed that i was faster than him on my bike

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He had probably just been sitting at a set of red lights and seen about 20 cyclists breaking the lights in all sorts of creative and blatant ways.

Then you crossed his path and because you and him were both moving slowly, you were an easy catch.

Forget about it and chalk it down to him having a bad morning. We all have them, but don't have the fortune of being able to take it out on others.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

blorg wrote: »
    I believe it is legal if traffic is stopped, or "moving in queues" (slowly.) Here is an article dealing with the situation in the UK for motorcyclists which is probably similar.
    The rule of the road advises:
    When cycling alongside traffic stopped in line, be aware of gaps in the
    traffic to allow other vehicles to turn across the stationary lane. The view
    of the car that is turning may be blocked due to the traffic build-up.
    That's kind of saying its ok to filter - they;d hardly be advising on how to break the law safely.

Moral of the story: if there's a copper around, watch your actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Rob_l wrote: »
    I also had a garda give a very absurd warning this morning.
    He told me i wasn't allowed overtake on the inside he was stopped at traffic lights and was the second vehicle, when the light went green i was level with him in the traffic and took off around the left hand turn he took exception to this.

Going up the inside of any vehicle around a left bend ain't a terribly good idea, particularly a van. You probably scared him and he was in a position to give you stick for it. Still, fairly ridiculous alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rp wrote: »
    The rule of the road advises:

That's kind of saying its ok to filter - they;d hardly be advising on how to break the law safely.
    I recently saw a bus shelter poster warning motorists to watch for cyclists overtaking on the inside. Similarly if it was breaking the law it should really be a poster warning cyclists not to overtake on the inside, or at least point it out, e.g. say "watch out for cyclists illegaly overtaking on the inside"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

@rubadub- I always thought those posters were to warn pedestrians waiting for the bus (there are frequently cycle lanes that weave in behind the bus stops and I have seen the warnings on the rotary timetable things where they would not be seen by motorists.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

"What do you mean you're charging me with reckless driving because I broke a red light and drove on the wrong side of the road? I just saw a Garda car do it!".

You don't know why the Guard did it and he's not obliged to tell you.

"What do you mean you're charging me with reckless driving because I broke a red light and drove on the wrong side of the road? I just saw a Garda car do it!".

You don't know why the Guard did it and he's not obliged to tell you.

That's not what the original poster did :)

most of the replies have been helpful in explaining why the gard felt he had to have a word. The above was not. I feel that if a gard wishes to issue a warning about cycling behaviour it should have some basis in law or common sense (both would be a surprise!).

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭'68 Fastback

Just wait for "Opperation Freeflow" to start "easing" the Christmas traffic again, then we can all watch the garda on the corner of Darthmouth road and Leeson St. as he observes the countless bikes break the lights every morning! Overtime well earned:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

There are rules of the road on O'Connell st... ?? could have fooled me..

Dont use it much, but the last time I cycled up there , I could clearly see why, the "Dublin City Cycle" (thing.. what ever it was called) stopped at College green. Its a bit mental... , and now it comes with coppers giving ear-fulls, on the grounds 'you probably do break loads of lights when he's not looking'

Still there are a lot of "liberties" taken by cyclists.., it is only a matter of time before the crack down starts.

On the plus side, I replaced my lights today for a fiver (cateye compatible, lovely jubbly, in one of pound/jumble shops on Mary St (not the hardware one, next door))
    Speaking of which, is it just me, or do others peoples front light only ever work for about a week..??, never have a problem with the rear.. batteries even seem to last for ever, the front go wonky really quick ???? same for about 4 sets.. ???

Advertisement