Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Also unhappy after driving lesson...

Options
  • 08-10-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭

Need to vent a little and just get some assurance from other people.

Had my first driving lesson today - I've put off learning to drive for a while for one reason or another. My dad has taught me how to start a car, what the different pedals do, and nothing more. He was pretty adamant that I should get the proper instruction, which was ifne by me.

But the instructor was just an asshole. I don't see why someone has to make the already difficult process of learning to drive more difficult by playing 'bad cop' - he was deliberately awkward and condescending. He also spent most of the lesson bigging up his own exploits and successes; I'd give specific examples chronicling just how much a <SNIP> this guy was, but I'd like to preserve anonymity.

My questions is this; is it normal to go through a few instructors before you find one that works for you? Are there any that dont adopt the 'tough love' approach?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 buer25

U are better off changing your instructor - at the end of the day you are paying him for a service so you should get someone you feel comfortable with. Don't stay with him any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Change instructor right away, there's no point sticking with this guy if he has an attitude problem. Ask friends and family for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Susyblue

You need to get rid of that guy, i think its quite normal to have more than 1 instructor, you need to find someone who is not only good at their job but also who you can get on with for an hour at a time.

Im on my 2nd instructor and thats where Im staying. First guy was rubbish- no improvement after months, still doing the same crap route.

Also by having an instructor who is going to be negative about the whole situation and moan his way through the lesson will do nothing for your driving only turn you into a nervous wreck on the road!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

TelePaul wrote: »
    My questions is this; is it normal to go through a few instructors before you find one that works for you? Are there any that dont adopt the 'tough love' approach?

Hi, it was me who started the other "upset after driving lesson" thread so I can identify with the problem.

Obviously as the others have said move on immediately.

But you're right, when I started learning to drive it never crossed my mind that bad instructors would be a problem. As well as destroying your confidence a lot of money gets wasted on them.

I found a good instructor but now that I've done a lot of lessons with him I feel he's putting in much less effort than he did at the start so I'm thinking of moving on again.

Other times the guy might be a good instructor but personality wise you don't really get on with them so that won't work either.

My advice is not to book 10 lessons in advance. Yes it is slightly cheaper but if the instructor isn't working for you you can't change when you've paid in advance.

I have also found that unqualified/unapproved instructors can be just as good as the approved ones. Someone can have all the qualifications but just not bother to put the effort in. Sometimes they have to make more of an effort if they aren't approved.

Advertisement