Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ill from restaurant food?

• 08-10-2008 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary last night with a trip to the theatre preceded by a pre theathre meal in one of the cities finest restaurants. As her choice of main course contained mussles she asked for them to be removed and the waiter suggested a white wine sauce instead to which she agreed. She has twice had bad reactions to mussles in the past and has avoided them for many years. The meal was excellent and we then went to see the play. At the interval of the play she got a very bad stomach pain and after much deliberating we decided to leave as it was quite unbearable at the time. Does anyone think that they may have contaminated the fish with the mussles or the sauce? I would like to call them but don't want to be unfounded in my accusations. At no stage did she get sick and she has gone to work today altho not feeling 100%.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There could have been traces of mussels in the dish. It is one thing to ask the chef to remove the mussels & give you a different sauce, it is entirely another to tell them beforehand that your wife is allergic to mussels. Your wife should have done the latter & also have stayed well clear of any dish that had mussels in it. Not the restaurant's fault in this case IMO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I agree with Hill Billy, they may have mass produced the sauce and just removed the mussels at the last minute. The waiter should probably have informed you if this was the case but you should certainly have emphasized the importance of 'no mussel contaminants'.

You could always give them a call to find out. You should also get your wife to consult with her doctor, hope she's feeling better soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah, from reading your post it just seems that you asked them to remove the Mussels from the dish but you never stated that your wife was actually allergic to them. I reckon the waiter just assumed that your wife just didn't like Mussels. I supposed they're hardly expected to know that she's allergic.

A mate of mine's wife is allergic to nuts so has to ask if the food contains nuts every time they are out for something to eat, but states clearly that she is allergic to them, but even when doing that she has still had a reaction to the food on several occasions, but at least then you can blame the restaurant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah, from reading your post it just seems that you asked them to remove the Mussels from the dish but you never stated that your wife was actually allergic to them. I reckon the waiter just assumed that your wife just didn't like Mussels. I supposed they're hardly expected to know that she's allergic.

A mate of mine's wife is allergic to nuts so has to ask if the food contains nuts every time they are out for something to eat, but states clearly that she is allergic to them, but even when doing that she has still had a reaction to the food on several occasions, but at least then you can blame the restaurant.

No, she did day she was allergic but the waiter was foreign and maybe misunderstood it be just a dislike. I have been in touch with them and politely explained and thay have called me back and are looking into it. I have to try and get the missus to order from the menu in future rather than creating her own dishes!

Advertisement