Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text virus?

• 08-10-2008 12:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

I just got a text through to my phone from some random number. It was one of those "O2 backup sim" ones, but it wasn't from the usual 50202 number from O2.
    Now usually when I get a text through, it just comes up as 'New Message' and I have to click on 'ok' to read it, but this was different, the message was readable straight away without clicking into it, even though my phone was locked. I unlocked it, read through it, then hit 'back' (I think I did anyway).
    I thought it was a bit suspicious, so went back into my inbox to read it again, but there was no sign of the message.
    Being the paranoid being that I am, I'm now pretty worried this is some new fangled text virus :eek::eek::eek:
    I've shut my phone off (not that that will help) and tried looking at my account on O2, but in true O2 style, 'My Account' is down at the mo!

Anyone heard of this? You reckon it is a virus? If so, what can I do?

Any help much appreciated!
    Fi

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Fiii wrote: »
    I just got a text through to my phone from some random number. It was one of those "O2 backup sim" ones, but it wasn't from the usual 50202 number from O2.
    Now usually when I get a text through, it just comes up as 'New Message' and I have to click on 'ok' to read it, but this was different, the message was readable straight away without clicking into it, even though my phone was locked. I unlocked it, read through it, then hit 'back' (I think I did anyway).
    I thought it was a bit suspicious, so went back into my inbox to read it again, but there was no sign of the message.
    Being the paranoid being that I am, I'm now pretty worried this is some new fangled text virus :eek::eek::eek:
    I've shut my phone off (not that that will help) and tried looking at my account on O2, but in true O2 style, 'My Account' is down at the mo!

Anyone heard of this? You reckon it is a virus? If so, what can I do?

Any help much appreciated!
    Fi

It's entirely normal, it's just a flash message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Phew! Thanks for that.
    Can never be too careful these days! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

it's perfectly normal. it's the same type of message that pops up when you type *100# to get your credit. it's not a virus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Cheers guys.
    Never had it happen before, so got a little worried. Better safe than sorry and all that lark. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just noticed that I don't have the option to send them on my e51, had them on my old 6233. Still, they were a bit unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Just noticed that I don't have the option to send them on my e51, had them on my old 6233. Still, they were a bit unnecessary.

There's a native symbian app called smsOne that can send flash sms messages if ever you are in need.

Advertisement