Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking {Problem}

• 08-10-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

You guys might have not notice but the parking situation in this College is getting out of hand. We honestly have to do somthing about it. I for one I am sick of it. The worse thing is that they still manage to give us tickets well people who parks on the double yellow. What choices do they really have.

The question is what can we do about this? We have to stand up for ourself this time or else the problem is only going to get worse. I was thinking of sending this to all the students but it would be kind of wired. How can we get them to recorgnise this? Student strick?

They are building football pitches and stuff but what about car park multi story. Please don't give me the bs that the college has no money!!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Its a double yellow line. You park there, you get a ticket. As for the parking, its been **** for years now. A multi-story car park is a bloody expensive thing to build, and that assumes the residents nearby would agree to it (which they wouldnt). I dont know what would be a good suggestion, but a football pitch is a much better purchase then a car park.

If you live in Carlow town, you can't complain about no parking. Its less then a 20 minute walk. I knew people who lived in Southern Gardens and still drove in. Which is just plain stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You may not want to hear it but the truth is that the college simply hasn't the money for it. We had to wait a week just to get CHAIRS in one of our labs. And believe me, in the 4 years i've been here the car parks have been significently extended.

Your main problem here are lazy buggers who refuse to walk 10 mins to get to college. A ridiculous number of those cars come from college green, southern gardens, bullock park and i've even seen someone drive from carraig Amhain into the college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

If you want a space get there before 9 or after 3.

Else you're better off walking even if it seems like you'll be later than driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

But serious its silly though. You live in Southern Gardens and you are still driving. I am not saying the College is to blame but I know for a fact that this college is still a tiny bit greedy with money. An example would be the Computing courses they are just crap.

Still they have to do somthing about the parking system. Ok ok dont build a multy story but just a small green turned to a park is better than nothing!!!!!!!!!!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I used to live in green road in carlow and I know someone who used to drive in. I used to beat them walking, by the time they got a space and walked accross the carpark. maybe an increased commuter bus to serve estates and the town is a better solution rather than more parking spaces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭patrickc

TomTom wrote: »
    I used to live in green road in carlow and I know someone who used to drive in. I used to beat them walking, by the time they got a space and walked accross the carpark. maybe an increased commuter bus to serve estates and the town is a better solution rather than more parking spaces.

what commuter bus in Carlow? there is none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

is there not a town link or something like that? There definately used to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

The 'Rapid Town Link' was abandoned yearssss ago.

Used to be handy for getting to the tec..alas..nope :(

I did not know that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

lol
    RealistSpy wrote: »
    Hi all,

You guys might have not notice but the parking situation in this College is getting out of hand. We honestly have to do somthing about it. I for one I am sick of it. The worse thing is that they still manage to give us tickets well people who parks on the double yellow. What choices do they really have.

The question is what can we do about this? We have to stand up for ourself this time or else the problem is only going to get worse. I was thinking of sending this to all the students but it would be kind of wired. How can we get them to recorgnise this? Student strick?

They are building football pitches and stuff but what about car park multi story. Please don't give me the bs that the college has no money!!

Any ideas?

A few more weeks and it won't be as busy, i'm waiting for the drop outs to go home :pac:

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    You may not want to hear it but the truth is that the college simply hasn't the money for it. We had to wait a week just to get CHAIRS in one of our labs. And believe me, in the 4 years i've been here the car parks have been significently extended.

Your main problem here are lazy buggers who refuse to walk 10 mins to get to college. A ridiculous number of those cars come from college green, southern gardens, bullock park and i've even seen someone drive from carraig Amhain into the college.

There are other reasons why someone might drive from one of those estates, not just laziness :o

lol

A few more weeks and it won't be as busy, i'm waiting for the drop outs to go home :pac:

LOL Well I hope they drop out fast :) all we are getting so far are repeat students :P

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

Im in Carlow It wexford campus school of art and we have no parking facilities at all. Several parking tickets later college becoming very expensive!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Crap, I did not know the commuter bus was stopped. Then maybe thats what the college need to do.

TomTom wrote: »
    Crap, I did not know the commuter bus was stopped. Then maybe thats what the college need to do.

good idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

If I can't get parking in the college I park outside my mates house in southern gardens, there should be no excuse for getting a ticket imo.

A commuter bus seem like a good idea. So who do we talk to? the student union people yeh? Another topic that i have to bring with them is college crech but I have to do a survey on that and see what the sorry with that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

People complain about the parking situation but few actually do anything about it. In my final year, 4 people from the same house, drove in separate cars to college, from literally a five minute walk away. the same people would complain about how long it took to find parking.

There should be a ticketing system in place, they tried doing this before, but on a weekly basis, which meant queues of students every Monday. Put a badge in place at registration, scan people in as they enter. Badges unavaiable to people living nearby, i.e. Southern gardens, yes people do drive from there. This would cut back on a number of spaces.

Ok what about a system where you pay for parking and use the money to build a better parking facility that is fair enough yeh?

students having to pay for something? I can see the picket lines already :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ok what about a system where you pay for parking and use the money to build a better parking facility that is fair enough yeh?

Anything from the college would be promising tbh, they havent acted on this for years now. Its as if they think the situation is going to go away.

If students are worried about paying for parking, why incentivise not driving to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

Another topic that i have to bring with them is college crech but I have to do a survey on that and see what the sorry with that is.

Sorry to burst your bubble but the staff have been wanting a creche for YEARS but El Presidents is having none of it. Won't even discuss it as a viable option!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,648 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Pretty simple, install ticketing booths at either entrance, issue fines to cars illegally parked on the road. This also opens up the possibility of restricted parking privileges/vehicle registration, so you dont have 100 cars coming in everyday trying to fill 25 spaces, and you arent giving spaces to ****ers living a quarter mile away.

I like the idea of reviving the commuter shuttle. Just another thing you could possibly fund in part by selling off parking spaces.

Overheal wrote: »
    Pretty simple, install ticketing booths at either entrance, issue fines to cars illegally parked on the road. This also opens up the possibility of restricted parking privileges/vehicle registration, so you dont have 100 cars coming in everyday trying to fill 25 spaces, and you arent giving spaces to ****ers living a quarter mile away.

I like the idea of reviving the commuter shuttle. Just another thing you could possibly fund in part by selling off parking spaces.

What if its pissing?

Everyone pays there fees, why should only certain people be allowed use the car park

Picture removed as it contains number plates of people who didnt agree to display them publically. Feel free to blank them out and try again.

So i guess eeveryone gave up with the parking problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I think a good few dropped out so its not too bad now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

If I can't get parking in the college I park outside my mates house in southern gardens, there should be no excuse for getting a ticket imo.

so its u that takes my parking space........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :P

I hope this term is a better term for parking. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

What if its pissing?

What if its pissing?! What are you, soluble? I've walked 20 minute walks to the college for three years carrying in everything from toolboxes to portfolios as needed in all weather conditions.
    Everyone pays there fees, why should only certain people be allowed use the car park

I don't pay my fees to build car parks for other people, I pay them to learn.

Advertisement