Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandyford - Broadband options

Options
  • 08-10-2008 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Im moving out to sandyford at the end of the month and an curious about the options for broadband out there. I'm currently on BT and can not wait to cancel the direct debit as i've had so many issues with them. In the new apartment i notice there is a big magnet box on the wall, whats this yoke all about?

Also, who would be the best broadband provider out there? I dont really need a 24mb line to be honest as i dont download that much, mainly online games are played that require a low ping. BT certainly can not provide this, so they are out. Same with Eircon too.

So my options are Magnet, NTL, Smart. Are there others i should be looking into aswell? Also, customer satisfaction is what i will be looking for when it comes to a provider. I had NTL years ago down in waterford when they first became available and never had a single problem with them, but i have read some horror stories on here.

Price isn't an issue at all, just quality of service is what im after.

Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Have you heard of Imagine Broadband. They have recently bought out Irish Broadband and have offices in Sandyford. Never had any complaints

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Are they wifi based, cable or adsl?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

ADSL but now coz they bought Irish BB they do a wireless package also. If line rental is not for you that is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Manties wrote: »
    Hi,

Im moving out to sandyford at the end of the month and an curious about the options for broadband out there. I'm currently on BT and can not wait to cancel the direct debit as i've had so many issues with them. In the new apartment i notice there is a big magnet box on the wall, whats this yoke all about?

Also, who would be the best broadband provider out there? I dont really need a 24mb line to be honest as i dont download that much, mainly online games are played that require a low ping. BT certainly can not provide this, so they are out. Same with Eircon too.

So my options are Magnet, NTL, Smart. Are there others i should be looking into aswell? Also, customer satisfaction is what i will be looking for when it comes to a provider. I had NTL years ago down in waterford when they first became available and never had a single problem with them, but i have read some horror stories on here.

Price isn't an issue at all, just quality of service is what im after.

Much appreciated

If you have the option I recomend Magnet. I have it and it is quite good. Great pings. The only thing is that its a bit expensive, and that you will be signing for a 12 months contract.

But only if you have FTTH (fiber).

Will you be living complex or apartment building? Check on their website...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

My sister lives in Sandyford and Chorus covers her part so no UPC broadband.
    Also no Smart in that area either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Eircom, Smart are available in Sandyford for the past >5 years.

NTL had a huge billboard advertising that NTL Broadband was available in Sandford ~8 years ago but it never happened, in saying that I havn't re-checked in the past 3-4 years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    Eircom, Smart are available in Sandyford for the past >5 years.

NTL had a huge billboard advertising that NTL Broadband was available in Sandford ~8 years ago but it never happened, in saying that I havn't re-checked in the past 3-4 years.

From the Smart website:
    We're sorry but it appears Smart Broadband is not currently available in your area. (SANDYFORD exchange)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭TheCaveman

I live in Sandyford, and I have UPC 20Mb, but would not mind Magnet's 50MB service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Well in the apartment the guy livign there before left his NTL modem. So i guess NTL is deffo available. And the Big magnet box on the wall, not quite sure what this is for though. I know he worked here in microsoft and did alot of work from home, so im wondering if this box was put in because he had a business line installed?

I opened up the box when i was there and i could only literally see a fairly thick wire with electrical tape around the open end of the wire. I dont think ill need anything over 10mb tbh, it would be wasted on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

TheCaveman wrote: »
    I live in Sandyford, and I have UPC 20Mb, but would not mind Magnet's 50MB service

Also live in Sandyford Village but NTL/UPC does not service the estate.

• Advertisement
Advertisement