Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Adjust mileage

Options
  • 08-10-2008 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Need to adjust mileage on a 08 passat, does anyone know if there is a place that does that in Galway or Dublin ?

Think its not illegal to adjust unless u sell it on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

why do you need to adjust the mileage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭jamesO

Sounds like a dodgie one, any way most diagnostics such as vagcom can detect the real milage even if it has been changed as it is stored in the ecu.

jO.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is this thread a joke or a troll?

(In before it gets locked down)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Need to adjust mileage on a 08 passat, does anyone know if there is a place that does that in Galway or Dublin ?

You will find driving the car in either of these places has the desired effect on the odometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

maidhc wrote: »
    You will find driving the car in either of these places has the desired effect on the odometer.

i know but it will take some time..not a troll post by the way. Sure there must be places that do this kinda service ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

If you are adjusting your mileage up wards for VRT purposes remember that the Revenue have a mileage allowance for petrol and diesel cars.

No point in adjusting your car to 100k miles, Revenue will not accept that.

Unless your car is NI or UK reg with less than 6k miles and you wish to avoid paying the Vat, clever!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Actually, on a slightly related topic, after a bad service at one point, my odometer stopped working. It's now working again, but in the interim I probably did about 500-1000 miles. It's not a major deal as the car is old and I'm unlikely to be selling it on to anyone, but it's irritating me from a service point perspective. Is it possible for a main dealers to adjust the mileage? Would they have some way of checking the actual mileage rather than just my estimate (I'd probably plump for 700 as a midway point)?

Would it just be expensive hassle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

i know but it will take some time..not a troll post by the way. Sure there must be places that do this kinda service ?

BIK puposes I'd say??

I was screwed with BIK last year, was going to put the car on bricks and stick the cruise control :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Onkle wrote: »
    BIK puposes I'd say??

I was screwed with BIK last year, was going to put the car on bricks and stick the cruise control :)

I heard a tale of someone doing that but the motor for the fan packed it in and they cooked the engine:eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Onkle wrote: »
    put the car on bricks and stick the cruise control :)
    Not a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,450 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Please state why you want to adjust the mileage, NordicDiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

Not a bad idea.

For some funny reason the name Ferrest Bueller has just entered my mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Maybe the OP had the unit replaced and needs it adjusted?

There are legit reasons for getting an odometer adjusted....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

smoke wrote: »
    For some funny reason the name Ferrest Bueller has just entered my mind...

Lol, yeah that didn't end up working out too well did it...

I am curious as to the reason for wanting to do this. I welcome being disproved, but can not think of a positive/legal reason for wanting to advance or retard your mileage.

Where I live, doing so is not by itself illegal, but you must fill out a mileage disclosure form stating that the mileage listed is not the actual mileage any time the title changes hand. This results in reduced car value or legal ramifications if you fail to report the mileage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

kluivert wrote: »
    Unless your car is NI or UK reg with less than 6k miles and you wish to avoid paying the Vat, clever!

not a bad idea at all!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

Think its not illegal to adjust unless u sell it on.

i can do it with a laptop but tbh... if you sell it without declaring or settingti back to the correct milage to the best ofyour knollege.. i do 4 years in prison.... and Yes i will find you when i get out...

i dont do this anymore for anyone.... only myown cars... which are normally only 100 miles on them from rebuilds or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

this thread goes to prison before anyone else does because of it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement